Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage33.png

The ability to take panoramic photos was touted as a new feature of the iPhone 5, but ability has been added to the iPhone 4S as well. The iPhone automatically adjusts for camera shake using the iPhone's gyroscope and creates up to a 240 degree panoramic image with up to 28 megapixels.

iDownloadBlog has put together this video to show how the Panorama feature works.

Article Link: iOS 6 Brings Panoramic Camera to iPhone 4S

hardcoreplur

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
WOW! a feature that Microsoft brought to the iPhone over a year ago and it does 360° vertical and horizontal instead of only 270°
way to go, Apple! /s

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but does anybody if there's an app out there that will do all encompassing panoramas? That actually sounds pretty cool.

He may well have been being sarcastic, but there is an iOS app from Microsoft that does do that. Photosynth can take full 360-degree and all around up and down panorama, and I think it does a pretty good job.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photosynth/id430065256?mt=8

The one advantage I see from the built-in panorama mode is that it does the image stitching while you're moving the camera and it's ready to be viewed almost instantly - other panorama apps make you wait a bit as the image gets compiled.

AuburnApple

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
Pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but does anybody if there's an app out there that will do all encompassing panoramas? That actually sounds pretty cool.

The "360 Panorama" app in the App store has been available for a couple of years and does this. I've used it quite a bit and love it. The stitching doesn't look quite as smooth as the new native panorama app, but the 360 deg feature is cool. You can take a 360 degree photo and later open it up and pan around as if you were standing there again.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Bah - not on new iPad? Hmph!

The MS app is pretty good, but it doesn't feel all that smooth, and if I recall correctly (haven't used it often as it's a bit slow) it doesn't just give you a standard, albeit massive, picture on your picture roll.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Have to try these and see how well they actually work in the real world.

kammagic

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
I played with this today. In portrait mode it does Horizontal panoramas. But in Landscape it does vertical panoramas (a tall building for example). You can also get different effects wether you turn the camera in a stationary position or walk with the camera in a straight line. The quality is very good and the rendering is very quick. I have all the panorama apps which there are many. But most have quality issues. I have liked Auto stitch the best so for. You can make some very high quality pics with that app. But nothing is as quick and easy as this new native app. I'm going to a pumpkin patch tomorrow and will play with it some more.

RobQuads

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2010
WOW! a feature that Microsoft brought to the iPhone over a year ago/s

I do laugh at comments like this.

If apple don't so anything people say. "Oh Android has had this for ages out of the box the iPhone is cr*p. "
If apple release an update people say "Oh this has been around for ages"

Lochias

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2008
Virginia
Panorama v Photosynth

WOW! a feature that Microsoft brought to the iPhone over a year ago and it does 360° vertical and horizontal instead of only 270°
way to go, Apple! /s

I like Photosynth, but it is nothing like Panorama. Like Autostitch and 360, it stitches frames together. It does a great job, guiding the snaps and stitching them on the fly, but the product is a collage, not a normal picture. Panorama makes a single 8-28 MP seamless image.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
The panoramic feature is very well implemented if anyone has bothered to try it instead of just jumping on Apple saying its old.

Go to the 4S Panoramic photo thread and take a look at the results.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I've one upped Apple's picture from the keynote and managed to get the same friend to appear three times in three different poses in a single panoramic shot. Has anyone managed four times yet? (It's some nice 2 am kind of fun thing to do...)

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I've one upped Apple's picture from the keynote and managed to get the same friend to appear three times in three different poses in a single panoramic shot. Has anyone managed four times yet? (It's some nice 2 am kind of fun thing to do...)

What's the trick?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.