Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_box-150x271.jpg

Reuters reports on a new court filing from Samsung revealing that the company is preparing to add Apple's new iPhone 5 to a lawsuit currently underway in the United States seeking to ban Apple's devices from sale in the country over patent infringement.
"Based on information currently available, Samsung expects that the iPhone 5 will infringe the asserted Samsung patents-in-suit in the same way as the other accused iPhone models."

Samsung said in a separate statement on Thursday: "Apple continues to take aggressive legal measures that will limit market competition. Under these circumstances, we have little choice but to take the steps necessary to protect our innovations and intellectual property rights."
FOSS Patents has more on the filing, which notes that Samsung still needs to analyze the iPhone 5 upon its release to confirm that the device contains the same functionality being targeted in Apple's other models already included in the suit.
After bringing formal infringement contentions, Samsung could ask for a preliminary injunction against the iPhone 5. It does not mention that possiblity, but it's a procedural fact that a preliminary injunction can only be requested in connection with a lawsuit that will result in either the dissolution of the preliminary injunction or its conversion into a permanent one.
Samsung's suit alleges that Apple's devices infringe a variety of Samsung-held patents, including several that have been declared essential to mobile communications technology.

Article Link: Samsung Preparing to Add iPhone 5 to U.S. Patent Lawsuit

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Apple and Samsung are like two little kids right now. What's next? They will be suing because both of their phones are black or white.

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
How about Apple and Samsung donate all of the money they're wasting on lawyers and lawsuits to charity. They're both pathetic.

flgator346

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
You've got to be kidding me. Samsung will never win. Samsung is just hating because their phones are pieces of ****. Apple wouldn't waste their time trying to copy your phones!

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Here we go...again..

Strangely, if Samsung bans the iPhone, I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of angry people waiting to kill them.

Omacc

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2012
I just came from a Samsung phone.... they not bout to mess my ios experience up bruh. Not on my watch. They going to loose regardless , apple got to much cake to loose a case to patent" reasons.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
if this is about LTE patents , could someone please explain how Samsung could have a patent on LTE? It's a network

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Apple won't care, buy the time this thing is settled and IF (thats a big IF) samsung wins, everyone who would have wanted an iPhone 5 early would have them. Nice try Samsung.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Here comes all the patent experts of MacRumors coming to pinch in their ''facts''

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
if this is about LTE patents , could someone please explain how Samsung could have a patent on LTE? It's a network

Its the LTE chip technology they are suing for. HTC and Samsung came up with it or something, idk Im kinda ignorant to that part. But they came up with the technology to connect with LTE. Really stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.