Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
First thing I noticed was that while surface streets showed traffic, the interstate didn't reflect any whatsoever. And the number of surface streets with traffic info was ridiculously low. I lamented the transition prior to it happening because of how used to Google Maps we already are. However, the poor implementation takes the change in UI far beyond the initial expected disappointment.

The fact that like a search engine in Safari, Apple hasn't kept Google available for a user selectable choice, or at the least collaborated with Google to have a standalone app like YouTube was available for download at launch, is simply irresponsible.

rydewnd2

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
New York City
everyone and their uncle bogs up the systems yesterday trying to get iOS 6 on the first day, then turns around and tries out Passbook, Maps etc and wonders why things are messed up. couldn't possibly be due to the vastly increased traffic. nope, no way

I don't think Apple servers being "bogged up" are the reason why Apple Maps can't find basic addresses in New York City.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Wow. Everyone is criticising an app they didn't use much before iOS 6...

But it's replacing an existing app. The improvements in the new mapping app (such as very fast rendering) don't help much if the information is wrong.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
It tells me the closest pub to me is over 20 miles away.

If you live in the UK you know thats impossible.

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
This is where the bickering and lawsuits stifle innovation and hamper technology for the users.

Should have stuck with google maps. I use maps often but do not have to rely on it. I feel bad for those who routinely rely on maps. Love zooming in and seeing clouds.

rcandre2

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
I hate the new maps app and am praying for google to add one to the app store today... Apples new map app is horrible. My address for my home shows up as a business in another town! Seriously! Did apple not test this out?? Give me back google maps please!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Apple Maps is utterly useless for many parts of the UK.

I've upgraded to iOS 6 on my iPad but my iPhone will be staying on iOS 5 until we see big improvements or Google releases an app. :(

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
everyone and their uncle bogs up the systems yesterday trying to get iOS 6 on the first day, then turns around and tries out Passbook, Maps etc and wonders why things are messed up. couldn't possibly be due to the vastly increased traffic. nope, no way

Did you even the article?

Did you notice the mistake I made in the sentence above? ;)

It's nothing to do with systems being bogged up, it's Apple's maps data that is at fault.

dhcaldwell

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Poor Choice

Maps in iOS 6 is, without a doubt, the worst part about iOS 6. Had I known how bad it would be, I wouldn't have upgraded.

I also think it's a questionable move by Apple -- was Apple under the gun? Unless Google was threatening to pull their data, why would Apple jump to release a subpar maps app? I understand the need to be independent from Google down the road, but I don't understand the need to release a very sloppy maps app now.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Apple's thermonuclear war on Google seems to be affecting Apple's own customers more than Google unfortunately...

polymac

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Chicago
Sad day

I've been playing with maps and it really is not working. Almost every search returns a randomly wrong location rather than the appropriate local location (averaging 3/10 correct comparing to the iOS5 which gets 9/10 right). There is no transit (a killer for me in a big city where transit is a primary means of transport). No walking directions even. This new app is months away from being ready for release. A quick reversion to the old Google app is almost inevitable and a huge embarrassment. I'm so sad that this got through Apple. Hard to imagine Steve Jobs would have signed of on releasing this pre-beta version on the public.

EvilEvil

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
New York City
Until Apple gets their **** together or Google releases their standalone Maps app, I won't be upgrading to iOS6 or an iPhone 5.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
it's a mess

I am really disappointed in the maps app - I use it for travel and for finding POIs when I'm roaming around nearby as well, including looking for coffee shops, food, museums, the post office and what not. Almost everything I have put in either doesn't show up at all or is in the wrong location, often blocks away from where it actually is. This is not to mention that there is no longer public transport nor street view functionality. I could accept the latter temporarily, but the I can't accept that things are in the wrong place or that shops that have been there for years don't show up.

It's the first time in years that I've felt so thoroughly disappointed with Apple. Not because Apple is always perfect but because overall they seem to get it right. This time they really didn't get it right and, in fact, messed up big time.

I just hope Apple will fix this somehow and that they'll do it quickly.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
What in the world is apple doing with 100 billion dollars in Cash?

Do some investing for a sake....

Invest more and recruit some google employees.

Leaving public transportation to 3rd party developers? That's just insane.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I love all of my Apple products and services. I really do. But taking Google Maps away from us (ESPECIALLY MY STREET VIEW!!!), was a big, big mistake since they are obviously not ready for prime time.

And those 3D/Flyover images are ****** scary. It's like I took a good dose of mescaline and now I'm having horrible hacullinations.

THIS, five times over!

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Works well for me with iPhone4, but I have heard of some issues with other countries, and the 3d rendering sometimes during the beta testing.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I know York (UK) is an historic town, but did they have to use black and white satellite imagery for it!

As it stands, Maps is not fit for purpose for huge numbers of users and Apple should have delayed dumping Google Maps until they were a bit further down the line!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.