Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Less than two hours before the first Australian Apple retail stores open to begin selling the iPhone 5, lines at stores around the world are lengthening in anticipation of the event. With Apple's pre-orders for the device having sold it out in just about an hour and current shipping estimates registering at 3-4 weeks, it seems that in-store purchases will be popular with those still looking to get their hands on an iPhone 5 as quickly as possible.

A representative from iFixit is currently in Australia waiting to purchase an iPhone 5 for teardown purposes, and he has posted a photo showing the line outside the Telstra retail store where he is currently sixth in line.

ifixit_telstra_iphone_5_line.jpg

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has also checked in at the Chermside Apple retail store outside of Brisbane where he is waiting for one of the first iPhone 5 units to hit the streets.

But even in the United States where customers have close to 16 hours to go at a minimum before sales begin, lines are beginning to grow, as shown in this video from @pdparticle at the Palo Alto store near Apple's headquarters.

The iPhone 5 launches at 8:00 AM local time Friday in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the United Kingdom. The device will launch in 22 more countries a week later on September 28.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Lines Lengthening as First Launches Approach

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
you know there were plenty of empty seats at the front of the line.

Might be a DB move but I would sit in one of those seats and steal their place. Move your feet, lose your seat!

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Employee: Sir, can I have today and tomorrow morning off so I can go wait in line for a cellphone?
Boss: Are you out of your mind? Get back to work!

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Now that there are pre-order options, I don't understand why so many would choose to literally camp outside a store...

I preordered only because I can't take off from work tomorrow. Otherwise, I would have gladly camped out at my local Apple Store. I have done it on two occasions and it's been fun, actually!! I've always gone with a couple of friends and we always bring our own 'refreshments'. ;)

The overall atmosphere is lots of fun and you get to meet some really interesting people.

I guess you could say the same about pro sports. Why go to a stadium and deal with chaotic parking and unruly crowds, when you can watch from the comfort of your couch. The experience is very different when you're there.

rafism

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Apple HQ in Palo Alto??

Just curious, how did the Palo Alto store become "close to Apple HQ"???

dbyway

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2012
Utah
I seriously don't know why people just didn't stay up one night to pre-order right when it was available. Kinda glad they didn't, cause who knows if I'd be getting mine tomorrow :D

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
I believe the iPhone 5 is supposed to be the last iPhone that Steve Jobs had input on it design.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
I'll be at home waiting for FedEx and I get to sit on the couch instead. Sure in store you can get it around 8:30am and at home FedEx has until 3pm to deliver but can't beat pre-order in my opinion. So convenient. Worst case with that is you have to get up in the middle of the night to order online and go back to sleep, but at least it's guaranteed.

For the iPhone 3G my wife and I went early, but not the day before. We arrived at the store around 5am. Then we learned they had 8GB black and 16GB white, no other options. Imagine you camp out for that long and they don't even have the model you want? Online you get to choose exactly the one you desire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.