Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
How do you deal with the group texting done by the iPhone? Almost all of my texts now are in groups with multiple friends all with iPhones. The android guys either receive as an unreadable mms or individual texts.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24468

Just curious on how you guys work around it and can imagine this would be really annoying. This may be a major stopping factor for my jumping to the Note 2.

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
How do you deal with the group texting done by the iPhone? Almost all of my texts now are in groups with multiple friends all with iPhones. The android guys either receive as an unreadable mms or individual texts.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24468

Just curious on how you guys work around it and can imagine this would be really annoying. This may be a major stopping factor for my jumping to the Note 2.

Galaxy Nexus with Jellybean, here.

Here is a screenshot I just took to test it out.

screenshot_zps5cd652a5.jpg

As you can see, it treats each text separately. The text is counted twice for each person in the group. That's fine. The bad part is that you will receive texts back, but they won't be in the group text! The reason why is that the recipient will be sending a text just to you. It doesn't send a text to the group and it doesn't understand the session of the texting group.

There might be an app for this, but the stock messaging app does not support it.

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Third party messaging apps

Handcent SMS and Go SMS, specifically

That is what I read, but also read it's extremely slow and frustrating. Can you comment on your experiences with it.

Thanks!

----------

Galaxy Nexus with Jellybean, here.

Here is a screenshot I just took to test it out.

As you can see, it treats each text separately. The text is counted twice for each person in the group. That's fine. The bad part is that you will receive texts back, but they won't be in the group text! The reason why is that the recipient will be sending a text just to you. It doesn't send a text to the group and it doesn't understand the session of the texting group.

There might be an app for this, but the stock messaging app does not support it.

Exactly. So if I have 8 people in my "group" I would be getting separate texts from 8 people. Very frustrating and tough to follow.

Appears that Handcent and goSms might fix it, but I'm curious to hear how well it is implemented.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
That is what I read, but also read it's extremely slow and frustrating. Can you comment on your experiences with it.
As long as you enable the "Thread Group Conversation" setting, it works just fine in both Handcent and Go SMS. Here's a thread about someone getting it to work in Handcent.

As for my personal experience, I've been using Handcent since my OG Droid in 2010 and it's awesome. The customization options are almost limitless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.