Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Anyone else experiencing this? I have the new 2012 MacBook Pro, and since the release of 10.8.2, my shutdown time has gone from 1 to 3 seconds, to 30 seconds.

Still experiencing slow shutdown with 10.8.3 :(

Last edited:

cpm619

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
yeah I have definitely experienced this issue as well use to shut down in a few seconds now it takes at least 20.

holy-piranha

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
Unfortunately, same here too.

2012 rMBP, same apps runnings, same settings etc as 10.8.1 and earlier - however, shutdown gone from 2-3 secs to 10-15+ secs.

Would REALLY welcome any thoughts / ideas / feedback! :)

Cheers.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Thought it was just mine but add me to the list.... Not Good. Please come back if anyone has some thoughts as to why. :mad: I did a clean install, not an upgrade. All applications closed.

Perhaps we can all use the Apple feedback report linked below...I left a feedback just now.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

I have a MacMini, 16 GB ram, 5400 rpm Hdd, Integrated video.

Last edited:

dfine1966

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Same here. Even tried PRAM reset. Have 2011 iMac. Never had slow startups or slow shutdowns until 10.8.2.

Zmijutin

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
Still slow shutdown/restart times with 10.8.0, 10.8.1 and latest 10.8.2. I just don't get it. MBP i7 and 6G SSD isn't enough for a 2 second restart?

gnipun

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
A fix

I had the same problem (Actually, I had the same problem with 10.8.0) but then I got it fixed by performing the following steps:

1. Shut down your computer with "Reopen windows when logging..." CHECKED. (The shut down will be slow this time ~ 20 seconds)
2. Turn your computer on
3. Shut down with "Reopen windows when logging..." UNCHECKED. It now shuts down in 2 seconds

Note: with 10.8.2, my MacBook seems to shuts down in about 2 seconds whether I leave it checked or unchecked.

Good Luck!

Eatsleepdrivesc

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2010
I had the same problem (Actually, I had the same problem with 10.8.0) but then I got it fixed by performing the following steps:

1. Shut down your computer with "Reopen windows when logging..." CHECKED. (The shut down will be slow this time ~ 20 seconds)
2. Turn your computer on
3. Shut down with "Reopen windows when logging..." UNCHECKED. It now shuts down in 2 seconds

Note: with 10.8.2, my MacBook seems to shuts down in about 2 seconds whether I leave it checked or unchecked.

Good Luck!

This worked for me! Thanks!

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Just clean system caches and the restart will be super fast. This has worked for me for ages.

Open terminal and write these commands:

sudo chown root:admin / (enter password when asked)

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

sudo kextcache -system-caches

I have this commands in dashboard notes, so every time boot up gets slow I use them to restore it. With a ssd drive it makes reboot ultra fast.

ultraspiracle

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion. That didn't help my situation - (LOL). But, the menu bar disappeared and wouldn't come back for like a minute. ;)

That's not the first time I've seen this happen either, but it's ONLY happened since 10.8.2.

Should have stuck with Lion...it was SO fast and stable....

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I cleared my system caches with Disk Doctor (available on the Mac App Store) and it appears, for now, to have fixed the slow shutdown time.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
I have the same issue. I have done a clean installation of ML and currently only iPhoto and iMovie is installed apart form what comes with the ML.

My start up time is slow (around 40 seconds) and i started ignoring it. But now the shut down time has come to the same situation...

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here

2. Turn your computer on

Good Luck!

Didn't work for me either. Tried a few times and no go. Thanks anyway

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA

2. Turn your computer on

Good Luck!

Just clean system caches and the restart will be super fast. This has worked for me for ages.

Open terminal and write these commands:

sudo chown root:admin / (enter password when asked)

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

sudo kextcache -system-caches

I have this commands in dashboard notes, so every time boot up gets slow I use them to restore it. With a ssd drive it makes reboot ultra fast.

I tried both methods and I'm still having a slow shutdown. Also, I have slower start-up times since ML. Odd because I have a Samsung 830 SSD.

Other methods?

colloc

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
I tried both methods and I'm still having a slow shutdown. Also, I have slower start-up times since ML. Odd because I have a Samsung 830 SSD.

Other methods?

How long's your start up/shut off time? Also you Mac's specifications?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
How long's your start up/shut off time? Also you Mac's specifications?
EDIT:

Used a stopwatch and from off to gray Apple and wheel spinning is ~30 seconds and login screen is about ~40 seconds. Around 15-20 seconds. I have a mid-2010 MBP. i5 2.53Ghz 8GB RAM 25GB GB Samsung 830 HD and WD Blue 1TB HDD in the optibay.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.