Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Obviously very high demand for this generation, but I wonder if the longer lines of people waiting at stores this year is due to how fast the online pre-orders sold out and got back ordered. If you didn't get your pre-order through in the first 45-60 min or so from when orders opened this is really your only shot at getting a launch day iPhone 5.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Today...
iPhone 5 panned...
iPhone 4S pwned !!!!

5 just doesn't have enough to upgrade from 4.
Especially when the 4S works out at half the price in my case.

Sorry Apple... not this time... maybe 5S

Seriously? The iPhone 5 is an all new design. I am sure however the 5S or whatever the minor refresh is called will draw even larger lines.

I'm confident at this point Apple could release any old thing and people would go nuts for it because it's an iPhone. What a nice place to be at for a corporation. So much hype that no matter what you release you can't lose.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
My first thought when looking at the picture: this is how the iPhone would look in incarnation 12 to 15. Must be like 2000 something pixels by 640, so the width will stay the same... :p:D

That way, you can still use it with one hand?? :confused: :D

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Seriously? The iPhone 5 is an all new design. I am sure however the 5S or whatever the minor refresh is called will draw even larger lines.

I'm confident at this point Apple could release any old thing and people would go nuts for it because it's an iPhone. What a nice place to be at for a corporation. So much hype that no matter what you release you can't lose.

Apple is in a very good place right now because their risks on the iPod, iPhone and iPad all paid off in a huge way. The demand for those three products have put them in an extremely safe zone of not needing to risk introducing a new product to spark sales. They will be good for at least a few more years doing nothing but spec bumps and design changes. Eventually they will have to take that risk again and that will be the true test of Apple without Steve.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Obviously very high demand for this generation, but I wonder if the longer lines of people waiting at stores this year is due to how fast the online pre-orders sold out and got back ordered. If you didn't get your pre-order through in the first 45-60 min or so from when orders opened this is really your only shot at getting a launch day iPhone 5.

Carriers were still able to offer iPhone 5s on launch day for quite a while. When I saw Apple was already at 2 weeks, I ordered through AT&T so I could get it today.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
It's amazing what types of people queue for the iPhone. It really is a truly diverse demographic. I queued with 2 Continental Airlines executives for the launch of the iPhone 4. Definitely not just "fanboys". Congrats to all of the new iPhone 5 owners! :D

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
[NSUinteger iPhone];
[NSUinteger GS3];
NSUinteger *i = 1;
do {
i = i +1;
iPhone = iPhone + i;
} (while i > 1);

[GS3 Release];

!!!!!!!! Warning unused variable GS3

Luscious

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
I was going to buy the 5 but not with that new maps app. Accurate maps are critical for me. I'm going to either wait until Google releases a native maps app or maybe I'll just buy a 32 GB 4S instead. I'm still on the 3GS. I wasn't at the end of my contract when the 4 was released and held off from the 4S knowing that the 5 with LTE was coming

spob15

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2009
Apple is playing games

I waited until 6 am east last week to order my phone, I got the two week delay. It said I should receive October 5. I get in line at my local ATT store this morning, get my ticket guaranteeing that I get a phone, I log in and apple says it shipped at 7:45. Now that it has shipped I cant use the upgrades. Apple is playing games with tier numbers. I wasted 2 hours this morning.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
About 300 in Montreal this morning

I pass by the Montreal downtown store on my way to work.

About 300 people in line this morning, not bad but less than the ipad line.

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011

Well, the tipping point was no NFC. I just wanted something bit more than what was offered as an upgrade from 4 or 4S.
The 4S has the same spec camera, it runs all the iOS features, the processor handles all the apps that I use smoothly.

I was lucky enough to find a brand new 4S to upgrade my 4 at nearly half the price of a 5. I feel that was the sensible thing to do in my case. It also breaks me out of the new model cycle (2 year contracts are the norm), and gets me into a potential 'S' cycle.

I'm going to wait to see what the 5S offers. Im hoping for NFC and a wider screen. We'll see.

For what it's worth, I can't help but feel iphone is getting behind the curve especially hardware wise. I know a lot of people have a gut feeling of the same.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
I hope the iPhone 6 will have worked out the bugs in iPhone 5.

Yes! I'm putting my hopes on the iPhone 8 fixing the bugs in the iPhone7.

Hopefully Windows 10 will fix the bugs in Windows 9 as well.

2014 Honda fixes the 2013. . . :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.