Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panchen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Denmark
Hello folks!
I'd like an updated opinion about conversion of pdfs to epub, maybe you guys know new software for mac or other good apps for the iPhone (or iPod) since this is still highly relevant.

Question: I have a bunch of books in pdf formats that I would like to read on my iPhone instead of on the computerscreen.

Problem: the pdf formats are too big to fit on the iphone screen, and the txt is too small. I have to zoom in and flick from left to write to read the text.

Solution: ???

So-far unsatisfying options:
(unless you know a better way to use them???)

calibre for mac (converting pdf to epub):
- messes up txt completely (somehow insert line break after every 2 lines, inserts 2 "L"'s every time one "L" appears in a word (example: "examplle").. etc )
- removes Table of contents
- removed page breaks​

goodreader (app for iphone to read pdfs)
- it costs $$$ and does the excact same mess as calibre, when trying to do PDF txt-reflow, furthermore it uses a lot of time converting each page, whenever you turn the page - so this is even a worse alternative than calibre which is a free program.​

Sigil (for mac, software to create/edit epubs)
- Books with huge amounts of txt errors (caused by calibre) are too time consuming to edit..​

Last edited:

Amerilia

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Trouble

I have met the same problem with you. I have tried some software, but none of them is good, so anybody help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.