Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metallikop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Just opened my new iPhone 5 and the screen is ghosting, or similar to when you touch an LCD screen. Just curious if anyone else is having this problem. It's definitely apparent when I touch hard, but even soft touches still have the screen problem when I touch.

This sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4kYbiygU6A

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Just opened my new iPhone 5 and the screen is ghosting, or similar to when you touch an LCD screen. Just curious if anyone else is having this problem. It's definitely apparent when I touch hard, but even soft touches still have the screen problem when I touch.

This sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4kYbiygU6A

My 4S suddenly started to do that in about the same area but more centered out of the blue 9 months into ownership. It lasted about two weeks then just as suddenly completely disappeared. :confused:

metallikop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Agreed. Just making people aware that there is a problem, and wondering if anyone else has seen it.

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
I wonder if this is the glue not totally dried yet?
I know they had a similar issue last year. I think they said
after a few days it goes away (hopefully). I still wouldn't
be happy though.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
this is why you shouldn't order an iPhone from one of the available countires to a one that's not available yet. imagine ordering an iphone to a relative living in the us, and have them ship it to you, then seeing this.

mfw there aren't any apple stores to take it back to.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Mine has backlight bleeding issues. I'm not sure if I should return it, it's no super distracting, but I noticed right away. Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 1,060

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Mine has backlight bleeding issues. I'm not sure if I should return it, it's no super distracting, but I noticed right away. Thoughts?

Return it. Unless you don't plan on ever reselling and it truly doesn't bother you. I doubt it'd get worse over time.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I agree with the others and there is something on the back side of the screen that should not be there.

notpotter

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I also have the same issue as OP, in almost an identical place.

I also have a slightly blue tinge around that point and if I look at the screen from an angle you can see what looks to be moisture between the two materials.

srgz

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
Good 'ol launch day.
Bleeding looks exactly like what happened to me on iPad 2 Launch day.
Definitely return it.

The first problem -- no clue how the F that could have gotten past quality control. Again, return it.

Early adopters...man you guys have balls of steel!
After what happened to me with the iPad 2 (I went through 5 of them with defective screens) -- I will never be an early adopter for any apple product ever again.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
If you have an Apple store you might get lucky and could swap it out today. If history repeats itself they'll have a separate "secret" stock for damaged devices.

That's the hope. I'm going to leave shortly, if not, well I'll just wait until they do. Its perfect otherwise.

Thanks

notpotter

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Here is the video I took of the fault I am experiencing. Just about to go back to the Apple store, will update you with how I get on and how they go about resolving the issue on day one in case others are suffering or will suffer from it.

http://youtu.be/9qLJ4kzW8DM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.