Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
I see so many problems with the black iPhone 5 that I've thought of going white instead via exchange. The only problem? What if the white version has similar quality control issues? :(

Please post if you have any scuffs, scratches, dents, etc.

Pics are GREATLY appreciated!!!

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
I see so many problems with the black iPhone 5 that I've thought of going white instead via exchange. The only problem? What if the white version has similar quality control issues? :(

Please post if you have any scuffs, scratches, dents, etc.

Pics are GREATLY appreciated!!!

Not sure if serious.

The white iPhone cannot scratch the paint off the bezel because there is no paint. It's raw material. You could scratch the whole outer band off until you see the inside of the phone and it would be the same color to the core.

This is why I got the white though I'm an engineer familiar with anodizing and i treat my phone rough so I knew it would come off.

The only reports people with white phones are giving of any issues is that some burrs are still left on the edge from machining (which means free replacement phone).

Jon Boy

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
Doncaster, UK
I've got white 32gb version, at the very bottom above the speaker where the glass meets the white banding there is a very small chip under the glass itself. Plus something black between the screen and white banding on the top left corner & same black looking thing top right between glass and white banding.

These don't seemed to be finished off all that good. is anyone's back aluminum plate slightly raised where it meets the glass panels top and bottom or is it just mine.

On the phone to Apple technical support UK as i'm typing this, he said 22 minute wait everyone calling about iPhone 5. (wonder why)?

Dee1226

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
Hi just joined to share my experience.

My white 64gb version has scratched around the sim tray of the bezel. Can only be seen in certain angles/light. Called apple who say they have ordered me a new one should be 3-5 days, just got email and it says 3-4 weeks:(.

i not sending this one back till I know i getting my replacement seem fair to me

Mage0069

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
just got back from the at&t store while gathering everything to restore in itunes i notice on the shiny bezel of my white ip5 the is two small dents or chips and it went straight into a case the min it was activated so currently on the phone trying desperately to get someone on the phone to get this resolved asap. Also just noticed there is a small faint scratch on the back aluminum peice close to the silent toggle switch as well as at the bottom where the glass meets the aluminum its scratched or dented can rub my fingernail across it and it catches very very disappointed

Last edited:

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Not sure if serious.

The white iPhone cannot scratch the paint off the bezel because there is no paint. It's raw material. You could scratch the whole outer band off until you see the inside of the phone and it would be the same color to the core.

This is why I got the white though I'm an engineer familiar with anodizing and i treat my phone rough so I knew it would come off.

The only reports people with white phones are giving of any issues is that some burrs are still left on the edge from machining (which means free replacement phone).

All apple devices are anodized even the normal silver ones hence the very similar shades across product lines. But yes the silver one should display less issues with the anodizing scratching or coming off because the anodized silver is a lot closer in color to the raw surface.

zinka

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2009
Here's a not great photo from my iPhone 4 camera. There's one scuff mark under the power button (visible here) and another on the back (not visible here). One is clearly indented into the metal (i.e. you can feel a bump). The other isn't.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 10,236

JCL

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
Just got my white 16gb iphone 5.

No super noticeable damage to the back or bezel.

If I go OCD, I can find 1-3 spots where the shiny edge has a very small dent or scratch that looks off.

I doubt I will return it because of such a small defect.

fazzk

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Wow what I thought was a big scratch at first on the bottom between speaker grill and glass is actually some adhesive glue that rubbed off lol

xolan99

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Mine has two tiny dents in it after putting on a case :(

Oh well, nothing stays perfect forever. I'm just going to enjoy my new phone!

ColonelSmith

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Ohio

If I go OCD, I can find 1-3 spots where the shiny edge has a very small dent or scratch that looks off.

I have one similar dent as you have described, barely noticeable.

However, I have observed that lint really likes to get stuck between the plastic edge that separates the glass from the aluminum unibody. Having a hard time getting it out.

Last edited:

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
My white 64GB came with a nick in the aluminum under the camera, a slight scratch below the FCC language and a couple small scuffs in the rim, all on the back... as the screen appears to be good, I'm just going to stick it out. I had too many screen issues with the 4S to complain about a couple of nicks on the back of the phone that don't impact usability. I am still a little annoyed that I paid $650 for a phone that came with scratches on the back though. I think Apple can could shave a little off the profits to make sure QC is where it needs to be (and I say this as a shareholder).

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I have a minuscule burr/nick on the back edge about dead center from the top and bottom. No big deal. watching those drop tests and how the screen held up makes me appreciate the bezel material, and the way it absorbs impacts. I'll take screen protection at the cost of the bezel being susceptible to some nicking as I won't be using a case or screen protectors on my phone.

----------

I wonder if they will take it back for such a small defect.

Just like dead pixels on displays, i am sure apple corporate will issue a memo on the issue saying that the machining process they use may have an "acceptable" level of imperfections from that process.

iSmoke

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL.
Glad I'm not the only one.

Any white iPhone 5 owners out there with damage of any kind?

dents? really? i wonder how they manufactured the phones this time? the chinese got mad 'cause they were forced to overwork so they kinda vented it out on the phones?

do you mind sharing the pic of the dent?

rollermog

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Nick on Bezel

Just unboxed mine to find this :( It also has some spots/marks lower down the side. It's not earthshattering, but when I pay $400 for a phone (or anything for that matter) I want it to be pristine. Let me put my own nicks in it! ;) Getting a replacement in motion with Apple.

Attachments

• IMG_1865.jpg
    IMG_1865.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8,846

EngenZerO

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
Denver, CO
My friends and I camped this morning and we all decided to go white after checking out the "scuffgate" thread (btw, many display phones exhibited "scuffgate")...

All three of our white iPhone 5s had blemishes of some sort... most where some shiny spots or little bumps in the aluminum bezel, excess glue?, or little scratch in the back plate... Needless to say... I can live with a few shiny spots on the bezel (especially after seeing the black iPhone 5s)... normal wear and tear will take over soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.