Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Electa

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
I have a nick in my white iPhone 5 32gb In the upper left hand corner on the very corner of the aluminum. It's not a big deal to me haha.

sotony

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
also have scuffs

Hi all--first post on this forum here. Just got my white 64G today and it has some scuffs/pits right in the middle of the aluminum back plate. Will try to post some pics below. Not sure what to do. Would any of you try to return/exchange your phone for this?

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
So far mines is fine. I really need to be going get a case though.

applephanatic

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Everywhere you aren't
Enough is enough!!!!

C'mon people, its a phone, I understand that you don't want your phone to be damaged and all scratched up, but if you are really getting this upset about such small purely cosmetic details that are not seeable unless looked for then there is something not right with you. Not to sound rude but its ridiculous. FWIW, my iPhone 5 that I got today also has a small scratch on the back and one next to the power button, but it doesn't effect me. why? Because I actually use the phone for other reason then to just show it off to my friends and say "Oh look I got the iPhone 5!" I admit if the phone was smashed and all scratched then I would be annoyed, but just like anything, if you look for a fault you will find one.

Sorry if this came off as rude, but sometimes the truth can be mean.

mistax

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2009
i did a check at the store before i brought it and everything looks good on the edges and stuff. just woke up about 10 minute ago and took another peeks. and to my amazement i totally missed the small ding right between the silver and the dock connector. I couldn't really have seen it with out light pointed directly on it. =( kinda sucks, but i think since it's on the bottom it's okay

bmw000

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
Got my White 64GB today. Has a gash near the silent switch on the bezel.

Called Apple and they will send me a replacement phone.

Haven't gotten my confirmation email yet though. When I log into the Apple store, it doesn't show the replacement phone.

Guess i'll have to call Apple back on Monday if I still don't get my confirmation email. Want to make sure a replacement is really on the way.

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
C'mon people, its a phone, I understand that you don't want your phone to be damaged and all scratched up, but if you are really getting this upset about such small purely cosmetic details that are not seeable unless looked for then there is something not right with you. Not to sound rude but its ridiculous. FWIW, my iPhone 5 that I got today also has a small scratch on the back and one next to the power button, but it doesn't effect me. why? Because I actually use the phone for other reason then to just show it off to my friends and say "Oh look I got the iPhone 5!" I admit if the phone was smashed and all scratched then I would be annoyed, but just like anything, if you look for a fault you will find one.

NO NO NO NO NO!!! You are wrong!! The person is buying a product and expect it to be undamaged. They are paying for an undamaged unblemished product.

Put this into respect of a car a carpet a watch. If your new car has a scratch on it when you are presented to you. You would not say, oh nevermind!!! No of course you would not, you would get that part resprayed.

With the phone in particular you are given a boxed item, not one you can choose.

The only issue I can imagine these people are having is, if they did not cause this damage. You would have to convince the apple store that it was like this when you received it and not dropped it when unboxing.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Mine has two tiny dents in it after putting on a case :(

Oh well, nothing stays perfect forever. I'm just going to enjoy my new phone!

Most reasonable response I've seen all day. Mine came in great shape--anything from this point forward is my own doing. I agree the phone should come undamaged but really, how do any of you actually enjoy your phone when you're obsessing about keeping it pristine?

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I don't usually complain the quality of Apple products but for a phone that's supposed to be built like an expensive time piece, there sure are a lot of minor issues.

I got my white 64GB today and noticed a couple of nicks as well.

One is on the shiny part of the band and the other is on the front panel - appears to be white paint or something that won't buff out. I know these may happen eventually but for a phone that was literally just taken out of the box and plugged in... not so good.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Jesus what do you people do? Go through every inch of your phones with a magnifying glass? Wow.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal

Ya come on you guys, its only a $850.00 plus tax purchase. So its all banged up and stuff, what do you want for a $1,000.00 sheesh, you would think that was expensive or something. Cheap people :mad:

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston

Right here, this says it all. 100% agree! C'mon people

jenjenpips

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Just looked mine over and there are zero marks of any kind on my white 16gb. Just to throw in some positive feedback with the negative.

I feel bad because a small blemish doesn't make much of a difference to me! I know it'll get normal wear and tear here soon anyway. Really happy I went with white though! It's gorgeous.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
NO NO NO NO NO!!! You are wrong!! The person is buying a product and expect it to be undamaged. They are paying for an undamaged unblemished product.

Put this into respect of a car a carpet a watch. If your new car has a scratch on it when you are presented to you. You would not say, oh nevermind!!! No of course you would not, you would get that part resprayed.

With the phone in particular you are given a boxed item, not one you can choose.

The only issue I can imagine these people are having is, if they did not cause this damage. You would have to convince the apple store that it was like this when you received it and not dropped it when unboxing.

No actually I dont believe I would get it resprayed because chances are it would be very hard for them to match the original color and it wouldnt look right. Its a car its outside 90% of its life, its meant to be enjoyed not covered up under a tarp for its entire life. live a little

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon

I think it is unacceptable to buy something BRAND NEW and have dents, chips, ect. on it.

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I can understand people being upset with an imperfect phone straight-out-of-the-box.
Like has already been said, this is an investment of up to almost $1,000 for some people -heck I've bought used cars that have cost less than that! But if I buy a new, *premium* brand item, I expect it to be of premium quality.

applephanatic

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Everywhere you aren't
Ya come on you guys, its only a $850.00 plus tax purchase. So its all banged up and stuff, what do you want for a $1,000.00 sheesh, you would think that was expensive or something. Cheap people :mad:

thats not what i am saying, what I was saying. If your phone came scratched up and busted then I completely agree, but if are taking your phone to actively look for scratches that wouldn't be seen other wise then I think its a bit of an issue for your psyche.

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
My black 64GB came mint (still is at the moment) but give it a few weeks and it wont.

I thought my 4 was mint condition (had it replaced not long ago) but looking at it the way you guys are its battered.

I know its disappointing but is it worth the hassle and stress of getting worked up over a tiny mark when 6 months down the line that will be nothing?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I'm _not_ being critical of the OP or this thread.

My thought is ... What's the point?

It's under warranty & we know Apple is especially good at taking care of their customers.

So why waste time with pictures and commentary over something so basic as cosmetic issues?

All one has to do is reach out to Apple for a replacement.

I'd enjoy hearing some rational & reasonable answers from others.

:)

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
There's one nick on the back and my wife who got the white one also got the same nick at the back on a different place. Can we return to Verizon or Apple? I feel like I don't need to replace it but I'm clearly disappointed :(.

And it looks like I won't be going NAKED anymore and get a case :(. I've been naked the whole time :D

And so I went to the Verizon store where I purchased mine and the one my wife got via Fedex and they won't replace it.

Went to Apple store instead but they only have one replacement. And then when they open up the replacement, there's also a nick on it on the back but this time all the way to the left and much smaller but you can definitely and so they were like what the heck?

And so they decided to send the replacement back and order a replacement for mine and my wife also and will call me when they get the replacement.

Attachments

• nicks.jpeg
    nicks.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 474
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.