Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruckleapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Japan
OK, first iPhone 5 problem.
I've logged into the wifi at my house and my iPhone has accepted it but if I walk 3 meters away from the router the signal bars drop down from full to nothing and LTE comes back on. While my iPhone 4 still has wifi signal with full bars.

Any ideas?

Stibbzy

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I have exactly the same issue. It connects at very short range but drops off after a few meters. I have tried resetting the wireless settings, resetting all network settings and finally wiped everything and started again. Still no luck :(

TheMagicPirate

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I can't comment on my home wifi but my iPhone 5 is on my works wifi and the range seems fine, although I can't comfirm where the wifi originates from.

ruckleapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Japan
I have exactly the same issue. It connects at very short range but drops off after a few meters. I have tried resetting the wireless settings, resetting all network settings and finally wiped everything and started again. Still no luck :(

I've tried all that too. Still no luck. If I hold the phone next to the router I get full bars of Wifi. I walk away 2.5 meters and they vanish.

This sucks.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Something might be wrong with your Phones Wifi antenna.

Or its not compatible with your Wifi base station.

To test this, go get on some other Wifi.

See if it still does this with other Wifi stations.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
I am having opposite situation. Wifi range is much better than iphone 4s. I am picking up wifi signals that are way further out than with my old phone.

motty2307

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Indiana
Is it possible that the phone is automatically switching to the stronger signal?

I'm not sure about this and don't know, it's just a guess.

AndrewI

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Any chance the few of us who are having the same problem also have guest networks with hidden SSID running? Or just guest networks?

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Could it possibly be that the phone is connecting on the 5ghz band which produces a weaker penetration signal? Check your router settings to see if you have a 5ghz band active.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Same issue here as well. I have my Gnex side by side with my iPhone 5 and my iPhone 5 is crawling on wifi compared to my Gnex.

AndrewI

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
I dont have a 5GHz router. My neighbor does, but I'm not connecting to his network...

----------

BTW, I have a iPhone 4s that has been updated to iOS6 and I don't have wifi problems with it.

I am on the phone with Apple support now.

Chad McCan

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Kansas City, MO
It's not a 5ghz or 2.4 ghz problem. It's an antenna issue. Within 1ft of the access point, network speed is great. 10 ft from the AP and you have no signal.

I'm in the same room as my AP and I have no signal. It's not being blocked. My 4s has full signal.

I'm tried my Airport Express, Airport Extreme and Time Capsule. All have the same problem.

Bluetooth has the same problem. I have a genius bar appt tomorrow, but I probably won't wait that long to smash this hunk of ****.

thenamesbryce

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2010
Is it possible that the phone is automatically switching to the stronger signal?

I'm not sure about this and don't know, it's just a guess.

I was wondering the same thing. They should turn off the cellular and keep wifi on. Then see if the wifi stays on at a further distance away.

AndrewI

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
I tried turning off cellular data, that did not work.
I tried changing router wireless channel. Did not work.
I tried disabling LTE. Did not work.
I rebooted router. Did not work.

After being on the phone with their tier 2 tech support, he told me that I tried everything and the only thing left to do is to erase all data and completely reset the phone. Set it up as new phone. Not sign into any accounts and not restore. Try WiFi and then call him back. Trying that now. Will report back.

ap105

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
Had the same issue. Went to apple store and they exchanged it. Now wifi works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.