Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

elixxxer

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Bought a black 32GB from the Apple store this morning and have not noticed any imperfections. I am incredibly anal with this kind of thing, whether it be my phone or my audio equipment, but we'll see how the black holds up. I specifically bought it from the Apple store knowing that if the black model starts wearing more than I comfortable with during the return period, they will give me the least hassle and not charge me a restocking fee. Here's to hoping the black holds up well because it looks great.

Le Buzz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
Bummed about this. They should have stuck with bare aluminum. Black is slick, but it WILL peel and chip, unless you keep your iPhone hermetically sealed. A bump here, a bump there, that aluminum will start to show.

I'd say a fail for the design team. I wish they took the practical route instead of going for the oohs and aahs. But that's Apple.

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Man, that sucks for the people dealing with this. My OCD would be pissed.

I bought the black 32GB from the Verizon store. Thoroughly inspected it and it was perfect. I always use a case so it went in one right away.

How do you tell when it was manufactured?

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Worthy of going to the Apple store? Also I would love to see any similar issues on the white one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 5,769

abecker

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
Pinpoint indent on the lower back.

Slight mark by one of the antenna bands.

Both I wouldn't have looked close enough for if it wasn't for this thread =/

mattwestside

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
Why would you swap the black for the white when it's clear from the pictures above that both devices are affected?

This looks like sloppy assembly, in that the machines used to snap and screw them together are applying too much force and damaging the casing as its assembled. This is either a very vocal minority, or a hugely widespread (aesthetic) problem that Apple and their suppliers' QA/QC somehow let slip by. Surely there's nothing in the box that could do this to all these phones during shipment, is there?

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
It's not durable. You're stating that as a flat out fact. A few hours after the phone was released. On a site that's a noted magnet for ... obsessively detail oriented people.

Yeah.

What is with the density? Look at all these photos and reports. If you open your eyes, you can see what I said is actually backed by evidence of many posters on launch day. As you said yourself, "a few hours after the phone was released" and there are more than enough pieces of photographic evidence to draw the reasonable conclusion that there is a durability question.

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
Worthy of going to the Apple store? Also I would love to see any similar issues on the white one.

Terrible. Go to the apple store, but don't expect the result to be different if you end up with another black phone. It is simply a matter of time.

jonxwilliams

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I'm curious about this as well. Haven't received my phone yet but thinking about swapping it.

Just to give you a followup:

I called my apple store, and they said that they could not return it since it was from Verizon, and that I'd have to go through them.

They did say however if it was damaged it would fall under their warranty and they could replace it - for the same color though they said.

I think what I will do is open it up in a bit, and if it's damaged, I will go to get it replaced, and beg them for a white one after all I've seen today.

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2010
We got 2 black phones. One is fine. The other has two small scuffs out of the box, but I don't really mind.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
OMG, now the phone is totally useless! it won't work....yeah you're supposed to have a pristine item, but the phone still work.

LOL all these people concerned about scuff. you guys have any real problems??? I can only imagine how you'd all deal if you were told yuou have cancer!

Would you say that too, if your brand new car lost visible paint flakes around its edges, reviling the bare metal?

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
What is with the density? Look at all these photos and reports. If you open your eyes, you can see what I said is actually backed by evidence of many posters on launch day. As you said yourself, "a few hours after the phone was released" and there are more than enough pieces of photographic evidence to draw the reasonable conclusion that there is a durability question.

Anecdotal evidence. Look it up.

mcfinch

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
And for those earlier saying this poll is skewed b/c people will come here to complain...you're right, but it works the exact opposite as well.

If my mom had bought this iPhone I have, I guarantee she wouldn't have noticed a thing. There are many out there who probably bought the phone, made sure it worked, and the proceeded to go on with their day.

Then why don't we learn from your mom and stop complaining. ;)

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
gah. so right out the box i have 5 dents/dings/scratches. i havent even had the chance to activate it. now, if i want to go to apple to get it replaced, how do i do so? im assuming the stock will be gone every AM since people are waiting in line. Do i call ahead? do i even bother?
here are some pics. hard to see but they are there.

Attachments

• 2012-09-21 13.50.35.jpg
    2012-09-21 13.50.35.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 622
  • 2012-09-21 13.51.37.jpg
    2012-09-21 13.51.37.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 577

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Mine came flawless. I don't expect it to stay this way very long since I've owned various anodized products over the years. I'll be using it naked. Oh well. The phone is to be used.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Looks like there will be a lot of refurbs available on the apple site soon for a discount price! Woo hoo!

vmdc

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
I ordered my phone through the Apple store website. Got it this morning and found a nice little nick on the back upper corner near the camera lens. I thought I could live with it, but I couldn't stop obsessing over it. I mean if I was the one that caused the damage, then that's fine. But to get something new with these "blemishes", bothers me.

I'm on the phone with Apple now, been transferred around a few times, but it seems like I'm going to get a replacement. I think I'm going to get the white iPhone this time around.

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 1,014
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.