Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
As the report notes, users attempting to use a Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T in the United States will not have access to AT&T's LTE network, due to hardware differences that leave the Verizon iPhone 5 (which is essentially a single CDMA/GSM world-mode phone for 3G purposes) incompatible with LTE frequency bands 4 and 17 used by AT&T and Canadian carriers.
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/21/verizon-iphone-5-confirmed-to-be-unlocked-on-gsm-3g-networks/
There are no hardware differences.
The phones all use the same Qualcomm chip.
It's programming in the base band radio that determine what frequencies are enabled.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If this sticks, this would be a great move by Verizon. Granted, it doesn't work on AT&T's LTE network, but even the option to use AT&T or T-Mobile is nice, on top of the ability to use international nano-SIMs.

tarkeybear

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2006
Claremont CA
Does this make Verizon a decent international phone?

One warning I have gotten from international travelers is that Verizon is pretty bad when trying to use their CDMA technology in foreign countries and that ATT GSM) is way better.
If this is true, then all I need to do is buy a pre-paid nano-sim in the country I'm traveling in, and voila, supplemental international service on top of (but separate from) my monthly verizon service?

ATT rocks at my work but chokes at home. If ATT ever gets their act together around my home, I could come back to ATT and use the same phone? :)

Also, if I use the phone with an ATT SIM (like my wife's), then would I be able to enjoy simultaneous data and voice while on the ATT SIM, but be back to voice or data when I put my Verizon SIM back in?

nickgwyn

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Can the VZW phone be used without activating with Verizon? Say with a existing ATT contract?

Junkyman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
This is really awesome news!

Do I see it correctly that between the Verizon Modell (A1429) and the one that is sold in Europe (also A1429) is basically the same but that on the latter the LTE-Bands 13 & 25 are software-wise deactivated? But essentially they support the same frequencies (GSM & CDMA)?

I'm currently considering going abroad to Europe for one year and thinking about getting an iPhone 5, but haven decided which carrier yet. If this news turns out to be true, the Verizon iPhone 5 really is a world phone!

Anyone to confirm? :)

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
There are no hardware differences.
The phones all use the same Qualcomm chip.
It's programming in the base band radio that determine what frequencies are enabled.

THis isn't a very detailed explanation. Can you be specific?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
If true, then the Verizon iPhone 5 should work with SIM cards from AT&T partner networks like Straight Talk at HSPA/HSPA+ speeds?

Sortieren

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
California
Cool but Atnt is slow

Personally I think it's a cool option but the Verizon LTE foot print is far bigger than AT&T LTE. Even if it could work I would stick with Verizon.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I don't see how this is a surprise to anyone. The FCC mandated no locked phones when Verizon purchased C block spectrum.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I don't see how this is a surprise to anyone. The FCC mandated no locked phones when Verizon purchased C block spectrum.

Are other Verizon LTE phones unlocked? Does AT&T have any of this spectrum, or does this same limitation apply to AT&T's bands?

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Let's get a pool going on how long it takes before Verizon locks this down.

Then again, maybe this is on purpose. As long as Verizon has the contract with you, why would they care if you also add on a GSM plan? Plus, as was mentioned, you can't use AT&T's LTE network so there's really no competition. If it helps attract international travelers, why not, right?

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Let's get a pool going on how long it takes before Verizon locks this down.

Why would they care? You cancel your contract and they get an ETF that pays for the rest of your subsidy.

But it would be attractive to me if I were more of an international traveler. And it definitely betters the resale value of the Verizon iPhone, as I've found they do not keep their value as well because prior they could not be unlocked domestically (I think).

sportykid2332

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Are the AT&T phones able to take european micro sims to use the HSPA+ networks over there? Or is Verizon just being really nice?

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
The video says "Verizon phones purchased under contract"

I'm assuming this goes for Verizon phones that were not purchased under contract ie the 650/750/850 phones? If that's the case, that's awesome. I do quite a bit of traveling and this would be great.

MacTK

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Better choice for Europe

Wait a minute: Do I see it right that the CDMA Iphone 5 is the way better option for the Asiens/Europeans?
Because most Carrier in Europe support the Verizon LTE Band 800 instead of the LTE Band 1800 (only T-mobile Germany and one carrier in the UK support it) , and if a Sim Card actually works in the Verizon Iphone 5 we also have our Euopean GSM support.
Than this phone would be the way better choice as the regular European/World GSM Iphone 5, or am I wrong?

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I used my Mom's upgrade who is on another account. I was under the impression I could just bring the phone to the Verizon store and activate it on my account. She was up for renewal and I wasn't so I used her upgrade and paid for the phone. When I brought it to the store they said I'm not up for renewal so I won't be able to use the phone on my account.

Is there a way I can get the phone on my account? I'm going to give her my 4S and I've already signed her up for a data plan on her account.

Any ideas? Can I cut down the SIM card from my 4S and stick it in the Iphone 5 and have it be on my account?

Did you bring the iphone over from another carrier? If so, then that is a problem, if not, then Verizon should honor the upgrade if you are on a family plan or some thing like that. If you are not on a family plan, then merge if you can now.
I am with ATT and so is my partner, I get the upgrade every year as I take her upgrade every other year (time wise). They just jiggle my phone number back and forth between accounts and volia!, I get the upgrade. ATT have no problem with that and neither does my partner, bless her little non gadgety heart.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Wait a minute: Do I see it right that the CDMA Iphone 5 is the way better option for the Asiens/Europeans?
Because most Carrier in Europe support the Verizon LTE Band 800 instead of the LTE Band 1800 (only T-mobile Germany and one carrier in the UK support it) , and if a Sim Card actually works in the Verizon Iphone 5 we also have our Euopean GSM support.
Than this phone would be the way better choice as the regular European/World GSM Iphone 5, or am I wrong?

Yes, that's the case. However, a lot of European LTE networks will operate on 800MHz and 2600MHz bands that are not supported by the Verizon or AT&T iPhone 5. For instance, in the UK, only EE's network will be supported, not Vodafone or o2 when they get their LTE networks up and running.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
That's amazing, no more having to wait till the end of your term!
You never had to wait the end of your term with VZW. In the past you had to wait three months from purchase, now you wait zero months.

(Compare with Sprint who seem determined to do everything possible to drive customers away. For a long time they couldn't state what their GSM unlock policy was, then recently they decided they would unlock after 6 months.
What a bunch of tools:
- worse network than VZW: check
- worse GSM policy than VZW, even though it costs Sprint nothing: check
- so we'll have lower rates? god no --- let's have rates comparable to VZW.)

----------

Any news on the AT&T variant? Is it unlocked also?

ATT unlocked GSM? God no.
ATT will unlock it after two years. If you have a really good excuse and find a nice ATT person, you may get it unlocked slightky earlier, like after 20 months.

----------

Nope, you have to buy the AT&T model in order to use the iPhone 5 on T-Mobile's LTE network.

It's beyond me why anyone goes with Verizon or AT&T. Both offer the same service as T-Mobile or Virgin, at almost double the price.

But hey, you get a subsidized phone.... :rolleyes:

This is an iPhone 5 discussion. Do T-Mobile offer iPhone 5 (yet --- they may well by next year)? Do Virgin? If not your, then snark is pretty damn stupid, isn't it?

This is like responding to a discussion about US phone plans by telling us that we should all switch to some South Korean carrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.