Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zero2krazy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
So my iPhone 5 on Verizon was working just fine for a couple hours and then suddenly I got hit with the above error message and now the top left corner just says "No SIM"? I opened the sim tray just to be sure and there's a sim card installed. Can't make calls, texts, or update apps.

Calipad

Suspended
Mar 16, 2012
So my iPhone 5 on Verizon was working just fine for a couple hours and then suddenly I got hit with the above error message and now the top left corner just says "No SIM"? I opened the sim tray just to be sure and there's a sim card installed. Can't make calls, texts, or update apps.

Restart your phone.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Same thing happened with a friend, it was solved by getting a new SIM from Verizon. Unlike the 4S, the 5 needs a SIM for service, period, as its an LTE device.

JoshS

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
I'm having the same issue with a white 16gb from AT&T.

The first time I saw it I restarted the phone and it started working. Today after I charged it, the no sim error came back and won't go away.

Gregster007

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Same Issue - new SIM card resolved it

Had the same issue straight from the box after delivery by UPS on a preorder iPhone 5. Spent nearly an hour on the phone with Apple Care, then they transferred me to AT&T customer support, three service reps later and no fix (stupid questions like: did you change the SIM card? how did you install the SIM card and please restart your phone one more time). Meanwhile I now had no wireless coverage on my old iPhone or the new one and the CS rep was telling me to go stand in line at the AT&T store. I was really pissed, but I stayed calm (too loyal to Apple I guess). Finally headed over to my local AT&T and they got it activated on the original SIM, three hours later it started stating no SIM again for the carrier ID (restarting would only temporarily help). Second trip to the AT&T store and 45 minutes to setup a new SIM card. Its fixed now, finally. What a day and disappointment. Additionally, my phone had a nice nick in the black finish on the corner of one of the sides it was like that right as i opened the box and saw it.

ace08

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
+1 happend to me 1 time today with a white 64gb iphone5. Got the "No Sim" message. Re-started the phone and it is working again.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
+1 happend to me 1 time today with a white 64gb iphone5. Got the "No Sim" message. Re-started the phone and it is working again.

I too just had this happen to me. Used the phone all day, with no issues. Recorded a video of my kids goofing around, and went to play it back (not making a call, sending text, or anything cellular related). All of a sudden, got the NO SIM INSTALLED message and the cellular signal was completely gone. Rebooted the phone, and it returned to normal. Will keep monitoring it to see if it happens again. Mine is also a White 64GB on AT&T.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Try reset network settings. If that fails, power off phone. Remove sim. Power on phone again until no sim pops up. Power off again. Put sim back in and power up. Has happened a few times to me with my android 4G phone and it's a common problem with sim cards. If that doesn't work, you likely need a new sim card. And never do a *228 with a sim card from verizon. You can fry the card.

JoshS

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
I'm having the same issue with a white 16gb from AT&T.

The first time I saw it I restarted the phone and it started working. Today after I charged it, the no sim error came back and won't go away.

I ended up taking the phone to the AT&T store. They replaced the sim and in about ten minutes I was out the door with no more problems.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Same issue with my wife's new Iphone 5. A hard reset took care of it but the issue returned.

ace08

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
I have news on this. My 64gb came up with the "No Sim" mesage again today and the power on/off did not fix it this time. Called Verizon tech support as I bought the phone from verizon who called Apple support and was told to replace the phone. unfortunately they did a 500mi location check from my location and there is no iphones available now so they have to ship the new one to me. I did some research into this and it seems like its not a new problem, Heres a coupel links to some information I found helpful. I was able to use the advice in this artice to get my current iphone working so I at least have a shot at having a working phone until my replacement arrives. Bottom line is its not the sim card its the design of the sim tray itself causing a short that will cause the phone not to recognize the sim card.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/iphone-4s-no-sim-card-installed-is-not-a-new-problem/16376

http://wooservers.com/blog/2010/07/10/fixing-iphone-4g-no-sim-installed-problem/

megsalias

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Mobile, AL
Just curious...were you all charging your phones with an Apple charger? I only ask because when I was using an offbrand USB charger in the car, I kept getting the SIM error. I finally narrowed it down to being the charger. After it was plugged in for a few minutes, the error would pop up. I would restart the phone and put it back on the charger, and a few minutes later get the same error. Finally, I put two and two together and stopped using that charger. No issues since.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
I have news on this. My 64gb came up with the "No Sim" mesage again today and the power on/off did not fix it this time. Called Verizon tech support as I bought the phone from verizon who called Apple support and was told to replace the phone. unfortunately they did a 500mi location check from my location and there is no iphones available now so they have to ship the new one to me. I did some research into this and it seems like its not a new problem, Heres a coupel links to some information I found helpful. I was able to use the advice in this artice to get my current iphone working so I at least have a shot at having a working phone until my replacement arrives. Bottom line is its not the sim card its the design of the sim tray itself causing a short that will cause the phone not to recognize the sim card.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/iphone-4s-no-sim-card-installed-is-not-a-new-problem/16376

http://wooservers.com/blog/2010/07/10/fixing-iphone-4g-no-sim-installed-problem/

Interesting..........

My wife's 5 has been doing it since yesterday. Did it about 5-6 times though out the day. Went into att about an hour ago and replaced the sim. Let see how this goes........

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I also have the no SIM problem. This is an AT&T 32 gig. Got it on the 21st and used I a bit that night, all day Saturday and half the day Sunday. I was actually leaving the Apple store having picked up two sync cables and went to text my wife to find out where to meet and got the no sim message. I rebooted and it didn't help so I took it back in and one of the regular employees used a sim tool to eject and reset and that didn't help either. The next appointment was hours later so it set one up for tomorrow.

ffohwx

macrumors member
May 7, 2010
Fairfield, Ohio
I've got the same problem. The only way to make mine work again is to take out the SIM and rub it on something (my shirt for example) and put it back in. That works for approx. 30 hours before I have to do it again. I'm going to the AT&T store Tuesday for a replacement SIM.

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
I had this too when they first activated it.

I ordered the phone from apple and then had to call at&t to switch over the upgrade etc.

I made 1 call and it was cut off and i saw the No Sim sign.. grrr.

I called at&t back and we did the usual and nothing was working. She asked me to turn it off and remove the sim to re-read the # to be sure it was correct. She went on to look through her notes and wanted to try 1 more thing. By this time the phone wa soff with the sim card out for about 15 minutes. When I put the sim back in and turned the phone on... All was good.

Try turning it off and leaving it off for a little while and then turn it on. If you get it still try the network settings reset button. If nothing after that try shutting it down agin for 15-20 minutesa nd back on.

If it aint working after that... I guess take it in...

Good luck. I do know how frustrating it can be !

jayrod79

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
I had the se issue with AT&T on Friday. When I opened the box from Apple I got the no SIM error, however I did a had reset and it was fine. Later that afternoon I got the error again and couldn't get it to go away. I ended up going into a local AT&T store for a new SIM and its been fine ever since.

ace08

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
If possible, those who got new SIM cards trying to fix this error please report if the new SIM does indeed resolve this. As I said yesterday I was on with VZ tech support who called apple support, who said replace the phone. I was able to get my current phone working agin by taking the sim out, cleaning it with alcohol and reseating the tray with a bit of authority and doing a network reset with the sim out. Its been working for about 18 hours now since that time but with Apple saying its hardware I don't know. If those who got new sims have this happen again to them I would say it hardware related. Please post updates with the new sims.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
When I went this morning, they tried a few test SIMs according to the genius and none of them worked, so they replaced my phone and SIM. Not shocking because I had tried the tricks of blowing out the sim slot and cleaning the card and it didn't work even for a few minutes.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
My wife had her sim card replaced today at the ATT store. Employee told her "several" people had been in with the same issue.

I hope, for Apple's sake, it is indeed the sim card and not the phone.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Since putting a new sim in my wife's phone yesterday from att, the results are still positive :)

Didn't get the error as of yet......so far so good.

Cowboy1629

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Indiana
I've had it happen once with mine and pulled the SIM out and stuck it back in, so far it hasn't returned. Have had several phones with SIM cards and this is the first time I have ever received this error. Sounds like there may be an issue...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.