Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
There's a disable LTE option in the cellular menu.

I also noticed my battery draining quickly yesterday...went from 90% out of the box at 2:30pm to shutting off at 9 pm. I charged it uninterrupted overnight, so we'll see how it does today.

I know disabling the LTE would help like disabling the 3G on the other iPhones. But what's the point of having a LTE phone if your going to constantly be turning it on and off? That defeats the purpose. Why buy the phone then. I'm willing to bet the new iPhone will still have mediocre battery life

James

dnest

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
I'll post a picture tonight after a full days usage, but right now it's been unplugged for an hour and 7 minutes with 24 minutes of use and it's still at 100% battery.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I know disabling the LTE would help like disabling the 3G on the other iPhones. But what's the point of having a LTE phone if your going to constantly be turning it on and off? That defeats the purpose. Why buy the phone then. I'm willing to bet the new iPhone will still have mediocre battery life

James

Based on Apple's quoted battery life, disabling LTE should not make any difference in battery life.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
The trick is to run down your battery 100% before charging it and only charge the battery when it has powered down from low battery.

If need be run a youtube video and kill the battery. Then charge it up.

False. This "trick" has absolutely no effect on lithium batteries. This is something people used to do with old nickel cadmium batteries to condition them. It will not help whatsoever with a lithium battery.

Give it a while, jesus christ. You people have had the phone for one day.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I am ecstatic over my battery life on my new iPhone 5 versus my iPhone 4s!!!:D
I got 8.5 hours usage which is twice as much as i got on the 4s! Same exact environment. LTE off in settings, but cellular is on.
I was sure hoping this was gonna be the case because my 4S just SUCKED!

tkwlee

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
I am ecstatic over my battery life on my new iPhone 5 versus my iPhone 4s!!!:D
I got 8.5 hours usage which is twice as much as i got on the 4s! Same exact environment. LTE off in settings, but cellular is on.
I was sure hoping this was gonna be the case because my 4S just SUCKED!

Have you restored your backup to your iPhone 5?

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
My iPhone 5

1BFF0BA0-4232-4CAF-BA20-4669272FD917-1454-0000004CDAA7532E_zpsb14b821e.jpg

ScionxB2k11

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
This is mine, I haven't charged it much at all since I got the phone yesterday, only plugged in to download music from iTunes and listen to music in the car on way to and from work. Also left it on all night and have been suing asphalt 7 in and off, but I have left asphalt 7 open all night and still on when I work up. Went to bed with 45% battery life work up with 43%. Although now I have been playing the game and posting this morning and it has dropped 9%. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348327852.757548.jpg

It won't get a full night charge till tonight but is ill charge it throughout the day today.

jasonbro

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
False. This "trick" has absolutely no effect on lithium batteries. This is something people used to do with old nickel cadmium batteries to condition them. It will not help whatsoever with a lithium battery.

Give it a while, jesus christ. You people have had the phone for one day.

I think it also lets the phone know how much power is actually there so you get more accurate battery readings.

Lithium Batteries are not invincible. They're just better than older batteries. They wear out just like everything else.

And they don't wear out overnight. It happens gradually little by little. The more you charge, and the more frivolous it is the less life they have.

I know i said drain down the battery of need be but i don't make a habit of it. Only if its at less than 3 percent. My 4s takes too long otherwise.

My one year old 4s goes forever on a charge. Even on the last 10% i get serious use out of that.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
FOR ALL THOSE EXPERIENCING BAD BATTERY LIFE, WHAT IS YOUR CARRIER?

I have a theory AT&T phones are getting worse, but I'd love to see some counter examples

theking79

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
From browsing using 3G and using the twitter app.

Why is my battery life so bad? I have tried all the tips to save battery life, wi-fi off, Bluetooth off etc.

2254A4FF-1BA7-4753-8AD4-A273B21CA9CA-1334-000000772D9132D2_zps8ed8ebe1.jpg

Last edited:

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Mine did ok on the first 100% charge though I don't think it was all that accurate. I let it drain until it died (another 1+ hours after this screenshot) then charged it fully overnight so we'll see how it does now.

battery1stcharge.jpg

Garrett67

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
I was wondering how battery life was for others but I also have only been on wifi since I got my phone.

My current screen

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348331804.321140.jpg

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
There seems to be huge variation with people's battery life, with the worser ones coming from GSM phones.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Mine. I ran it down as soon as I got the phone then charged it overnight. This is my first day using it from full:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 120

CiFi

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Im AT&T LTE at 31%

Usage: 3 Hours, 32 min
Standby: 6 Hours, 36 min

I turned off iCloud and i think it helped. I don't get this tho. My iPhone 4 would last me over 20 hours of standby and 8 hours of usage easy.

----------

This is mine, I haven't charged it much at all since I got the phone yesterday, only plugged in to download music from iTunes and listen to music in the car on way to and from work. Also left it on all night and have been suing asphalt 7 in and off, but I have left asphalt 7 open all night and still on when I work up. Went to bed with 45% battery life work up with 43%. Although now I have been playing the game and posting this morning and it has dropped 9%. View attachment 361087

It won't get a full night charge till tonight but is ill charge it throughout the day today.

This is amazing, mine is nowhere close. Why is there such a difference between people phones?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Im AT&T LTE at 31%

Usage: 3 Hours, 32 min
Standby: 6 Hours, 36 min

I turned off iCloud and i think it helped. I don't get this tho. My iPhone 4 would last me over 20 hours of standby and 8 hours of usage easy.

----------

This is amazing, mine is nowhere close. Why is there such a difference between people phones?

I'm on AT&T with LTE off and I'm getting even worse results than this. I want to see someone getting great battery life on AT&T; I haven't seen that.

danibug23

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I was having s horrible battery life experience yesterday but after letting it drain to all the way where it shut off the. Charging it over night battery life is amazing been off the charger for 2 and a half hours been emailing texting phone calls and still at 100% :)

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I'm on AT&T with LTE off and I'm getting even worse results than this. I want to see someone getting great battery life on AT&T; I haven't seen that.

As I posted in another topic, I'm on AT&T LTE in NYC and have had great battery so far. Currently at 1h56m of usage (mixed with LTE and wifi browsing, screen set to auto-brightness, BT off, iCloud on, 3 email accounts set to 30 minute fetch, including video streaming on youtube, RSS reading, music listening through the iPod via headphones and over AirPlay for about 20 minutes, and some Siri usage for changing tracks as I was walking around the neighborhood running errands with full hands) and 2h27m standby currently at 84%. Certainly better than how my 4S would fare.

Yesterday, my phone came at 70%, I plugged it into iTunes to transfer information and restore from my 4S iOS 6 backup, and it was at 100% at the end around 3pm after all that; I did a bunch of things, including playing with it, GPS running with music in the Nike+ GPS app for 1h15m, taking pictures at a birthday dinner, and just fooling around. It finally zonked out at 3am after I had to play Netflix over WiFi for 52 minutes to get it from 5% to 0%. Recharged to 100% overnight.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The trick is to run down your battery 100% before charging it and only charge the battery when it has powered down from low battery.

If need be run a youtube video and kill the battery. Then charge it up.

Definitely a common misconception.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.