Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s4h4r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Hello
So I have a 13" Macbook Air (1 year old) with water damage. I took care of it in case of getting the water out ( placing it in rice for 1 day) I turned it on and it worked fine...even charged it and operated as if nothing happened...
But I thought I better take it to the Genius Bar for a check up and they did check it out...And stated that it would cost me $1000 to get the damaged parts replaced...But if I don't, the computer could turn off and never turn on in days weeks months or even years..
BUT as I was leaving I realized a dent on the top right corner of my screen. and told the guy at the Genius Bar about it (he checked his computer and realized it wasn't initially there)... Of course he apologized and said that they will fix both the water damage and the dent for $600...I asked if I could think about it and left...He entered it on to the computer and said I could come back later....

So, Any suggestions as to what I should do?

mac-n-sauce

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I agree. The screen assembly alone is $500 - $700.00 because of the technology in it.

The water damage is an issue. They are right. The computer will shut off. What happens is the water or liquid corrodes individual components on the board and they slowly or sometimes quickly fail. If it still works, it probably just needs to be cleaned with some 90+% pure Isopropyl Alcohol. This is not a job for the inexperienced. Apple does not repair, they replace.

They will fix the screen for free you just have to ask right.
I would strongly recommend that you do not power up that computer. Even having the battery plugged in internally is damaging the laptop. basically the water connected circuits that are not supposed to be connected. Even though it dried out, water corrosion continues in small areas under the small chips on the board. Eventually killing it. The rice trick only gets some of the liquid. When power of any kind is applied it encourages the corrosion.

Tell apple that since they damaged your screen they need to repair the whole computer! They are notorious for very strong customer service. you might just need to move up they chain of command.(politely)

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
I think you should just get the dent/screen fixed and then sell it. I don't think it's worth the money to fix the motherboard etc... Also, it's a year old so I think you should buy a new Air instead. That's just my opinion, I think nothing is great after been fixed.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Sounds like they dropped it, but no way to prove it. I would ask for some kind of compensation for the dent, then sell it, and buy a new one.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
$1000 to fix it? If it turn on and off he way it should, then why get it fixed?

Also a new MBA 2012 is about $1175 shipped.

If you are wanting to get a new MBA, then just have them credit the $600 towards a new MBA.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
If it still works, then don't worry about the water "damage."

Technically, water can't damage electronics. It's hydrogen and oxygen. They don't cause corrosion and they don't conduct electricity. It's the sodium and other minerals in the water that can cause damage. All consumer electronics are exposed to some degree of water (the humidity in the air can be enough to trip the moisture sensors in some situations).

The rice trick removes the water, but some amount of the minerals remained on the computer (whichever parts that got wet, which could be nothing important).

If nothing shorted out while it was wet, then you're fine. Yes, some day the Mac Book Air will die. Will that day come sooner because you spilled water on it? Nobody knows. It could die tomorrow. It could die in 2024.

Big question (and an important one) when you went to the genius bar, did you tell them you spilled water on it?

As for the dent; they dented it. They should fix that for free.

s4h4r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
If it still works, then don't worry about the water "damage."

Technically, water can't damage electronics. It's hydrogen and oxygen. They don't cause corrosion and they don't conduct electricity. It's the sodium and other minerals in the water that can cause damage. All consumer electronics are exposed to some degree of water (the humidity in the air can be enough to trip the moisture sensors in some situations).

The rice trick removes the water, but some amount of the minerals remained on the computer (whichever parts that got wet, which could be nothing important).

If nothing shorted out while it was wet, then you're fine. Yes, some day the Mac Book Air will die. Will that day come sooner because you spilled water on it? Nobody knows. It could die tomorrow. It could die in 2024.

Big question (and an important one) when you went to the genius bar, did you tell them you spilled water on it?

As for the dent; they dented it. They should fix that for free.

Thank you, for the confidence boost:)
Yes, I did tell them about the spill

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Yes, I did tell them about the spill

Ok, well that's sort of a mistake.

For personal electronics, I'd take it to Apple and say "it's acting funny, can you see if anything's wrong." Let them run their diagnostics and see if anything actually was damaged. Many electronics (iDevices) have small strips of material that will change colors if they get wet. All a technician has to do is open it up and see if the pink stripe has turned blue and they'll know if water was in it. You should not lie about anything, but you also should let them decide what's wrong.

As soon as any tech support person hears "I got it wet" that immediately means replacing parts. Because water is such an unknown when it comes to electronics, most places just assume that everything important got wet and needs to be replaced.

This makes perfect sense for enterprise / professional systems. If computer downtime/failure means your business will lose money, then you don't want to take a chance on a system that got wet but is "probably" fine. The cost of replacing the machine is better than the cost of a failed machine. Many businesses would just buy a new system.

Good luck!!!

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Ok, well that's sort of a mistake.

For personal electronics, I'd take it to Apple and say "it's acting funny, can you see if anything's wrong." Let them run their diagnostics and see if anything actually was damaged. Many electronics (iDevices) have small strips of material that will change colors if they get wet. All a technician has to do is open it up and see if the pink stripe has turned blue and they'll know if water was in it. You should not lie about anything, but you also should let them decide what's wrong.

As soon as any tech support person hears "I got it wet" that immediately means replacing parts. Because water is such an unknown when it comes to electronics, most places just assume that everything important got wet and needs to be replaced.

This makes perfect sense for enterprise / professional systems. If computer downtime/failure means your business will lose money, then you don't want to take a chance on a system that got wet but is "probably" fine. The cost of replacing the machine is better than the cost of a failed machine. Many businesses would just buy a new system.

Good luck!!!

I think honesty is your best approach at the Apple Store. If you don't admit to it, and they see all the signs of water damage, they are going to be less likely to give you a break.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Regarding the "placing it in rice trick," I've heard it works wonders, but I've always thought you were supposed to leave it buried in rice for several days, to get out *all* the moisture?

Or am I just being OCD? Obviously, it worked in this guys case...anybody with any experience or knowledge care to address this?

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I think honesty is your best approach at the Apple Store. If you don't admit to it, and they see all the signs of water damage, they are going to be less likely to give you a break.

I completely agree that you should be honest.

I never said that you should lie about or deny that it got wet.

All I said was to let them do their job and determine what's wrong.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Regarding the "placing it in rice trick," I've heard it works wonders, but I've always thought you were supposed to leave it buried in rice for several days, to get out *all* the moisture?

Or am I just being OCD? Obviously, it worked in this guys case...anybody with any experience or knowledge care to address this?

Yes, you want to make sure all the water is out of the machine. Waiting 3 or 4 days to ensure this is a lot cheaper than buying a new computer.

In regards to the OP, I don't think the $600 is a fair deal, considering the damage wasn't there when you bought it in.

davidnyjets

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I know this is mainly about water damage, but since it mentioned a dent I figured I'll post here and not create a brand new thread.

I bought my MBA 13 inch model in June from the Apple Store. I didn't purchase anything extra, like a coverage plan. I did purchase a full 3 year Squaretrade plan and added in the Accidental Damage protection.

Today I was walking back from class and scanning my ID to open to door when my MBA slipped out of my hands. It was an Incase Neoprene sleeve, but landed on a corner onto the cement sidewalk.

I've attached some pictures of the dent. From what I can tell it only has affected the computer aesthetically, meaning nothing internally.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do or what my best course of action would be? Is it worth using my warranty? I'm someone who gets really annoyed about these things... I love my MBA! Should've been more careful.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Hello
So I have a 13" Macbook Air (1 year old) with water damage. I took care of it in case of getting the water out ( placing it in rice for 1 day) I turned it on and it worked fine...even charged it and operated as if nothing happened...
But I thought I better take it to the Genius Bar for a check up and they did check it out...And stated that it would cost me $1000 to get the damaged parts replaced...But if I don't, the computer could turn off and never turn on in days weeks months or even years..
BUT as I was leaving I realized a dent on the top right corner of my screen. and told the guy at the Genius Bar about it (he checked his computer and realized it wasn't initially there)... Of course he apologized and said that they will fix both the water damage and the dent for $600...I asked if I could think about it and left...He entered it on to the computer and said I could come back later....

So, Any suggestions as to what I should do?
Really? buy a new computer and ask for a $200-$400 discount because of the dent

----------

I mean your options are pretty simple. Live with the dent or use your warranty.

Im like seriously?

davidnyjets

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I mean your options are pretty simple. Live with the dent or use your warranty.

I was hoping someone might be able to tell from the pictures that maybe it can be bent back in place.

With my ST warranty, the repair may be expensive (overpriced maybe?) so I don't want to go that route unless necessary.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I know this is mainly about water damage, but since it mentioned a dent I figured I'll post here and not create a brand new thread.

I bought my MBA 13 inch model in June from the Apple Store. I didn't purchase anything extra, like a coverage plan. I did purchase a full 3 year Squaretrade plan and added in the Accidental Damage protection.

Today I was walking back from class and scanning my ID to open to door when my MBA slipped out of my hands. It was an Incase Neoprene sleeve, but landed on a corner onto the cement sidewalk.

I've attached some pictures of the dent. From what I can tell it only has affected the computer aesthetically, meaning nothing internally.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do or what my best course of action would be? Is it worth using my warranty? I'm someone who gets really annoyed about these things... I love my MBA! Should've been more careful.

First of all, dont hijack someone else's thread. As far as your situation goes, I would hold off if the computer is fully functional. If its working fine then just continue using it unless you're extremely OCD about it. You're barely into your warranty period and can basically claim the damage at anytime.

----------

I was hoping someone might be able to tell from the pictures that maybe it can be bent back in place.

With my ST warranty, the repair may be expensive (overpriced maybe?) so I don't want to go that route unless necessary.

There is really no way you can bend that back in place, you risk the chance of damaging it even more and possibly cracking the panel.

davidnyjets

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
New York
First of all, dont hijack someone else's thread. As far as your situation goes, I would hold off if the computer is fully functional. If its working fine then just continue using it unless you're extremely OCD about it. You're barely into your warranty period and can basically claim the damage at anytime.

----------

There is really no way you can bend that back in place, you risk the chance of damaging it even more and possibly cracking the panel.

Appreciate the response. I just figured it would be nicer to piggyback into someone else's thread. They mentioned they had a dent also.

It's funny. If I made a thread people would complain why I made another thread. But when I try to post in something somewhat relevant to this one, someone also disagrees.

Can't make everyone happy, lol.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Appreciate the response. I just figured it would be nicer to piggyback into someone else's thread. They mentioned they had a dent also.

It's funny. If I made a thread people would complain why I made another thread. But when I try to post in something somewhat relevant to this one, someone also disagrees.

I'm sure no one would have complained. You're situation is completely different to the OP, but yes they both do involve a "dent."

mac-n-sauce

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Tampa, Fl

I work on the screens a lot. I would not advise taking the chance on bending it back without removing the led. I would definitely advise you remove the led because it is a very complicated repair. The led in that thing is very thin and will break easily. Just to buy the LED is $275.00. You can buy the complete clamshell assembly for around $500.00

So my suggestion to you is like the others---> Live with it or use your warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.