Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I use Bose noise cancelling headphones often but don't get the same sensation as with the iPhone 5. The trouble I'm having with the phone is that the noise cancelling almost seems to be overcompensating for background noise. On top of that, it seems to have constant, dramatic changes during even short calls.

That's weird. I feel a similar pressure on my Bose QC3's when they are turned on.

camaroIOM

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
So this is normal right?

Thats what I am trying to determine...I hate to return my phone if just takes time to get used to. I talked for almost 10 min tonight without an issue, but then noticed it again. I was fine, but then it felt like a suction had been applied to my ear or something. My brother states he does not notice it. I also hear some slight swooshing noise at times when driving and then goes away like cancellation kicking in. Not sure what to do at this point. I doubt genius bar would notice it??

Otherwise the phone has just been incredible.....

Side note...My wife did not notice nor my daughter when talking briefly on phone....They said I might have it turned up to loud...FYI it was up all the way

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Well I'm glad it's not just mine.

Perhaps there's a perennial black cloud over Apple. This thing is supposed to be a phone, it doesn't seem to be an Antennagate Issue.

But it appears that building a good clear phone may be out of the question for Apple.

So you bought an iPhone 5?

Anyone know if the iphone 5 has noise cancellation technology in the top speaker that you put your ear up to? I have made a couple calls after getting the new phone and I swear I get a weird feeling when I put the speaker up to my ear that is similar to the effect of using bose noise canceling headphones. Its difficult to explain but it is the feeling you get when there is electronic noise canceling going on.

Yes, there is some upgraded noise canceling in the iPhone 5. I've made several calls over the past few days, but today is the first time I actually noticed it. A bit odd, but not unnerving.

Ksqrdx2

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I'm having the same issue! Exactly how everyone described it... The suction cup feeling and the dizziness and headache. Such a weird feeling! I definitely notice it when I'm driving on the interstate, but my husband didn't feel it at all using the same phone even while driving. I don't really notice it when I'm not in the car. Will the feeling go away with time? Will I get used to it? I would hate to have to return the phone because of this but I can't stand to talk on the phone with this feeling!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I'm having the same issue! Exactly how everyone described it... The suction cup feeling and the dizziness and headache. Such a weird feeling! I definitely notice it when I'm driving on the interstate, but my husband didn't feel it at all using the same phone even while driving. I don't really notice it when I'm not in the car. Will the feeling go away with time? Will I get used to it? I would hate to have to return the phone because of this but I can't stand to talk on the phone with this feeling!

I wonder if its worse in noisier environments where the noise canceling has to work harder? I for one found it useful talking on the phone with the top down driving down the highway. But it did feel odd.

k9pup

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Same problem here. Has anyone switched out the phone for a new one? Has it made a difference?

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
I guess I haven't made a call in a loud place yet because I haven't noticed it at all, and I was even expecting it.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Noise cancellation using the mic on back of phone. Removes ambient room noise so you hear the caller's voice.

Certainly a sweet new feature and one of my reasons for getting it. Noise cancellation does have mild pressure which is normal. You may want to make a call from quiet location to see if it makes a difference

Whew for a minute there I thought thus thread was going to be about the NC feature not working

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Are they using active noise cancelation? That would explain it.

My bose noise canceling headphones give me the exact sensation you are talking about. It feels like there is a pressure wave hitting your eardrum from a sound...yet you hear nothing.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
It's completely normal and is not an issue. Although it feels like pressure on your ear, it is not and is completely harmless. Headaches/dizziness are just all in your umm head. It's the same sensation you get from standing in an anechoic chamber, if you've ever stood in one...basically you're just getting confused by the lack of sound.

mmillz81

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Same issue

Thank god I found this thread. I thought I was insane, I am having the same exact issues. I have a 16g iPhone 5 on Verizon, thought it was a defect and swapped the phone out with Apple. New one does the same thing! I thought it was a problem with Verizon until I found this. They need to do something about this. I'd like to be able to turn the noise cancellation off. :(

What networks are you all on?

Last edited:

Weeeamy

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I'm experiencing the same issues, lots of pressure in my head particularly while driving. I don't notice it as much when I'm at home or in a quieter area. I do feel dizzy and almost like I get an instant head cold with sinus issues. Any fixes out there? Do earbuds help? I'd like to be able to use my phone without feeling like going to crash my car.

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
I can't speak for everybody's phone, but I believe it is normal.
The "pressure" is just extra sound waves you are hearing which cancel the noise waves, this is why it seems like an odd sensation because technically you are hearing more sound but it seems like less sound because of the noise canceling sound waves.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
iPhone 5 noise cancelation, preceived phase shift effect.

First off, this isn't a complaint, nor do I feel it is a flaw with the iPhone 5. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed a phenomenon on the iPhone 5 with regards to background noise fading in and out of the earpiece during a call. I only notice this when driving, or in other environments which background noise is almost of a white noise quality.

Essentially it sounds like the phone is trying to cancel out background noise, however it will randomly fade some of it in, and out during the call. For me it is sometimes a bit disorienting giving a feeling of a somewhat (and I am talking slight) delay in what I hear in the background on my phone ear as compared the other one. At the same, I am also hearing an effect similar to putting an earplug into my ear slowly and pulling it back out (with regards to background sound levels changing).

When the phone is doing this, I can always hear the person at the other end clearly, so it doesn't hurt call quality, it is just a strange feeling that I honestly have a hard time trying to explain.

I am just curious if anyone else has had this feeling during a call in areas with steady ambient noise.

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
First off, this isn't a complaint, nor do I feel it is a flaw with the iPhone 5. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed a phenomenon on the iPhone 5 with regards to background noise fading in and out of the earpiece during a call. I only notice this when driving, or in other environments which background noise is almost of a white noise quality.

Essentially it sounds like the phone is trying to cancel out background noise, however it will randomly fade some of it in, and out during the call. For me it is sometimes a bit disorienting giving a feeling of a somewhat (and I am talking slight) delay in what I hear in the background on my phone ear as compared the other one. At the same, I am also hearing an effect similar to putting an earplug into my ear slowly and pulling it back out (with regards to background sound levels changing).

When the phone is doing this, I can always hear the person at the other end clearly, so it doesn't hurt call quality, it is just a strange feeling that I honestly have a hard time trying to explain.

I am just curious if anyone else has had this feeling during a call in areas with steady ambient noise.

i know exactly what you mean. its been happening to me also.. very very weird to say the least. your right, i do notice it most whne im in the car......you explained it perfectly. like a plug going in adn out of my ear.... is this a bug or do we just need to get used to it?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
same here, it is very noticeble when driving, sometimes it feels like dizziness.
Honestly the first time I heard it, I did have a somewhat disoriented dizzy feeling. Not enough that made me think I was going to crash or anything, Just a bit of an off camber feeling that, once I figured out was happening, sort of went away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.