Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
My battery is awesome!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 147

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
ATT, WiFi, testing out apps, speedtest, Facebook, Facetime, calls, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0926.PNG
    IMG_0926.PNG
    108.6 KB · Views: 130

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
From browsing using 3G and using the twitter app.

Why is my battery life so bad? I have tried all the tips to save battery life, wi-fi off, Bluetooth off etc.

How did u post a screen shot on MR from ur phone? Or did u send the screenshot to ur computer and then post it? Can u post pics fr mobile devices? If so, how?

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
Have you been on Wi-Fi most of the time? And what are your settings? Like Bluetooth, Auto Brightness, LTE, etc.

Yeah wifi the whole time. LTE on. Auto brightness on. Bluetooth off and that's pretty much it.

----------

Sorry but anytime I see "this iPhone has been plugged in since last full charge"

It completely discredits any results that is shown.

I have not plugged in at all since last full charge. It must say that because I did some wifi syncing to sync some music.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah wifi the whole time. LTE on. Auto brightness on. Bluetooth off and that's pretty much it.

Ok, because mine seems to drain at almost double the speed when I'm on cellular. Turn Wi-Fi off and see if there's any difference, I'd be interested.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I believe draining the battery 100% helps calibrate the software so it has a more accurate reading of your battery %. (Not an expert, so not certain.)

Last night I was on 1% for ~20 minutes while streaming Netflix. Then I charged to 100%. Hoping to calibrate the phone to get a more accurate picture of the battery life.

From the first rumor leaks about the i5 battery I was concerned about the life. I really love the phone but wish Apple would focus just a bit more on battery life rather than thinness. I'd rather have a slightly 'thicker' phone and a 2100 mAh battery but that's just me.

I'm remaining optimistic however. Unless Apple completely LIED about the battery life I think it's just a matter of allowing your new phone to calibrate. Hoping I'm right! :D

(On a side note, I LOVE the new Lightning connector. BIG fan. Love how it clips in and really enjoy not having to worry what side is up haha. :) )

tj200

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
I unplugged my phone fully charged at 11am and it's been dreadful i'm using 3 (UK carrier) i've been texting all day screen brightness on 50% spent about 10 minutes on the phone. i'd say 20-30 minutes overall using 3g connection to use internet like look for train times and football scores. went down to 15% by 6PM really not good enough. Settings said I got just over 5 hours of usage out of it.

I've reset all my phone settings as i restored from backup of my iPhone 4. I'll be patient and see what happens hopefully can get this sorted soon might take an update like on the iPhone 4S

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
Ok, because mine seems to drain at almost double the speed when I'm on cellular. Turn Wi-Fi off and see if there's any difference, I'd be interested.

Out of topic but my iPhone has been on 1% for 15 minutes now while I'm non stop using it lol :O & alright I will try that after this full charge when it dies and charges all the way.

CiFi

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Ok I just looked at my old iPhone 4. It still has 26% left from before the iPhone Launch. Get this:

USAGE: 15 hours, 45 min
STANDBY: 1 Day, 16 Hours

WTF!!! My iPhone 5 just died with about 4 hours usage and 8 hours standby. What is wrong with the 5???

jasonbro

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
I believe draining the battery 100% helps calibrate the software so it has a more accurate reading of your battery %. (Not an expert, so not certain.)

That's what i've been saying!!!!

If you're not running your phone to 0%, then how does the phone really know how much juice is left? How do you really know how much juice is left?

I think if you're one of the people that is charging their phone twice a day and it never goes below 60% that, if you do let your device drain to zero the battery percentage will not be accurate at the end. The last 5% might last 5 times longer than 5% usually lasts.....

EDIT:

Lets say you took your new iphone and put a heavily used worn out battery in it.

How would the iphone know?

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
Ok. So can everyone on here who is complaining about battery life do one thing:

1. Time how long it takes for the battery to run down 10% while connected to a wifi network.
2. Do the same with wifi turned off and connected to a cellular network.

Post the results here. I'm certain this is to do with the cellular connection.

Here are my results:

Cellular - 59 minutes
Wifi - 2:15 minutes.

NB: try and not alter the variables too much; i.e try to use the iPhone similarly in both tests.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011

1. Time how long it takes for the battery to run down 10% while connected to a wifi network.

Here are my results:

Cellular - 59 minutes

NB: try and not alter the variables too much; i.e try to use the iPhone similarly in both tests.

what the heck is this going to prove? We already know a phone will get better battery life when on wifi vs. celluar.

----------

not to mention it's highly dependent on your cell signal... weak signal = more battery drain.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011

Here are my results:

Cellular - 59 minutes

Good idea. According to Apple's battery life claims, LTE/3G usage should provide 8 hours of browsing. Wi-Fi is 10. However, I'm finding my battery to drain at least twice as fast over cellular.

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
Good idea. According to Apple's battery life claims, LTE/3G usage should provide 8 hours of browsing. Wi-Fi is 10. However, I'm finding my battery to drain at least twice as fast over cellular.

Exactly.
And I'm not even talking about browsing. Just leaving it there not doing anything and the battery is dying twice as fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.