Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Had a feeling this would happen since I couldn't get a straight answer.

Previously the replacement fee has always been $199 for the top tier iphone and $149 for older versions.

So last year it was $199 for 4S, $149 for iphone 4/3GS.

But now I look and it's $229 for iphone 5, $199 4S, $149 iphone 4 replacement.

iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
iPhone 5 $229
iPhone 4S $199
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149

Guess they are really trying to make the Applecare plus protection plan look "better" by raising the out of warranty replacement prices.

Think before most people would just take the chance (like me) and rather chance paying $199 for damaged iphone vs. paying $99 plus $50 deductible ($149) for AppleCare care we all know the chances of damaging the phone a 2nd time is very rare for "most people"

Now the spread difference is more between taking a chance vs going for insurance.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

physicsguy13

Contributor
Oct 5, 2010
Huntiingon Beach, CA
It also appears that some of the flexibility that they had to give a one time replacement phone are gone. If you didn't get applecare+ you are going to have to purchase the out of warranty replacement. It was worth the investment to me.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
It also appears that some of the flexibility that they had to give a one time replacement phone are gone. If you didn't get applecare+ you are going to have to purchase the out of warranty replacement. It was worth the investment to me.

Yeah, I've noticed Apple being harder on trying to get iphone that are still under warranty replaced. Even for battery replacement.

They always blame the software you installed for battery problems.

I literally got denied last week. They claimed battery life was good even though it drained completely on a 3 hour 45 minute hour netflix 3g streaming video. They said I had too many push emails on iphone.

So I simply did a clean install. Went back to the store the next day. Just installed Netflix. Ran streaming for 3 hours and 30 minutes this time and battery died.

They claim battery is supposed to last 6 hours on 3G. Once I proved that their battery tests was pointless since it wasn't "the software" causing it. They finally replaced my iPhone 4S.

Than I ran test for netflix streaming and got 5 hours of netflix streaming over 3g. (I didn't get hit with ATT throttling warning after hitting 4GB data because of netflix streaming test)...maybe it's cause I am on an LTE data plan with my old Nokia Lumia 900 phone that has the 5GB data throttling on LTE.

But the point is Apple is making it hard to get phones switched out for minor reasons.

Their "diagnostics" are horrible.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Thanks for finding this. I was wondering if they would raise the price. I'm going to get AppleCare+ for mine anyway.

-Kevin

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Do you have to buy AppleCare at time of purchase or can you add it within a certain amount of days? Also, how long is AppleCare good for, 1 or 2 years?

Thinking about adding this to my phone and my wife's as well as we've both had to had ours replaced in the past 2 years so I can see that happening again.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
yikes I may go ahead and get applecare + now

----------

Do you have to buy AppleCare at time of purchase or can you add it within a certain amount of days? Also, how long is AppleCare good for, 1 or 2 years?

Thinking about adding this to my phone and my wife's as well as we've both had to had ours replaced in the past 2 years so I can see that happening again.

you have 30 days to add it

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

You have 30 days to add it and you MUST schedule a Genius Bar appointment to buy it.

I've heard of Apple adding it over the phone if you live far away from an Apple store.

I leaving for a 3:40 appointment today to get it added to our phones.

-Kevin

in0va3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
NYC
Does it mean I could get a 64GB iPhone 5 for $229 if I want to get a out-of-warranty replacement?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Does it mean I could get a 64GB iPhone 5 for $229 if I want to get a out-of-warranty replacement?

As far as I know....you can only ever get the exact same device.....including color. So if you have a 64GB, then I believe you would get a new refurb 64GB.

-Kevin

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I still refuse to get a warranty.

I would rather pay $80 more if it turns out I *NEED* it than pay a definite $100 on the off chance that it may eventually save me $80.

$100 for the chance to POSSIBLY save $80.

If the phone doesn't break I saved $100 you lost $100.
If the phone breaks you saved $80 and I lost $80.

I would rather take the chance and save $100 than pay $100 on the chance to save $80. The cost is greater than the savings. If you end up breaking your phone twice it becomes a godsend but otherwise I think its a rip off.

Just makes sense to me.

Deputydog

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2004
Added Applecare+ to our iphone 5's this morning at the apple store. Told the person at the door I wanted applecare, she called over a non genius who checked the water tabs and signed us up. I had no appointment and never saw a genius.

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL

I would rather pay $80 more if it turns out I *NEED* it than pay a definite $100 on the off chance that it may eventually save me $80.

I would rather take the chance and save $100 than pay $100 on the chance to save $80. The cost is greater than the savings. If you end up breaking your phone twice it becomes a godsend but otherwise I think its a rip off.

Just makes sense to me.

That's the way I feel about it. I've only bought insurance on one device and it never needed service. I figure I've saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars over the years by not buying a service plan on phones that it would be stupid to start now.

jjfine96

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Honestly $229 doesn't even sound that bad.

I always thought that you would have to pay full price to get a replacement (like an unlocked phone).

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010

Just makes sense to me.

What if you need to replace it more than once?

If you break your phone and need a new one, it'll be $229. If you break it again, it'll be another $229. So $458.

If you get AppleCare, it would be $99 + $49 for the first phone and then another $49 for the second phone for a total of $197, or a $261 savings.

A lot of people probably don't need to replace it twice, but my wife has needed to (once dropped in water, other time cracked screen) and I have also needed to due to a cracked screen.

I like the peace of mind of it and knowing I don't have to be super careful with it or use a case.

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
What if you need to replace it more than once?

If you break your phone and need a new one, it'll be $229. If you break it again, it'll be another $229. So $458.

If you get AppleCare, it would be $99 + $49 for the first phone and then another $49 for the second phone for a total of $197, or a $261 savings.

A lot of people probably don't need to replace it twice, but my wife has needed to (once dropped in water, other time cracked screen) and I have also needed to due to a cracked screen.

I like the peace of mind of it and knowing I don't have to be super careful with it or use a case.

Yes, if it turns out you break two phones then its worth it. Even if you need one replacement its still worth it because you're saving $80... But if you DON'T need a replacement its was a colossal waste of money.

I don't like to bet against myself that I'm going to break a phone twice in 1-2 years. I have had an iPhone since 2007 and haven't ever needed a replacement.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Yes, if it turns out you break two phones then its worth it. Even if you need one replacement its still worth it because you're saving $80... But if you DON'T need a replacement its was a colossal waste of money.

I don't like to bet against myself that I'm going to break a phone twice in 1-2 years. I have had an iPhone since 2007 and haven't ever needed a replacement.

Dang that's a good track record.

I've had to replace my 4S once in the last year and my wife has replaced her 4 twice in the last 2 years.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
This is my 3rd iPhone (after original and 4). But this is the first time I'm getting AppleCare+ because I have my 1st child on the way. I can't be sure she won't grab it and use it as a teether or worst, a football. :)

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010

Just makes sense to me.

You don't lose $80 though... You lose $229 plus tax... Which is $258.77 here in Toronto. That's a big pill to swallow if something were to happen. At least with the $100 you get peace of mind. You also get the second year of warranty... Which I wished I had with my iPhone 4. Apple wanted me to pay $149 to fix my home button. Not a chance I was paying that. So I've been using a broken home button ever since.

After all taxes, it would be a loss of $91.53 if you compared it to AppleCare+. (Might be different according to your tax laws)

Definitely worth it in my eyes... Considering in Canada we're stuck with 3 year contracts and one year of warranty is not enough.

For me, it wouldn't be... This time around I'm going caseless with AppleCare+, if I wasn't going caseless I'd end up spending $100+ in cases anyways. Hell, my Mophie alone was $79. So I figure this AppleCare+ route will be cheaper in the long haul.

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
Besides the cheaper price to replace iPhones using Applecare, you no longer need a case. My iPhone 5 has no case and I like it that way. I save the $20-$30 for a case and just pay the $99 upfront. If I damage it, it is $49 to replace. No brainer. Why hide the beautiful iPhone 5 in a case? When I had the case on my iPhone 4S, I dropped it all the time. Now I am more careful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.