Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
All my email services work in the mail application but yahoo. It doesn't even say if I entered the password wrong, it just says the server isn't available. Anyone else have same problem?

FIXED
Here's a video for a fix for those who are having a similar issue

Last edited:
Reactions: iWarrior

-Knight-

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Miami, FL
All my email services work in the mail application but yahoo. It doesn't even say if I entered the password wrong, it just says the server isn't available. Anyone else have same problem?

I'm getting the same issue and it's pissing me off. I had no problems with the iP4. Anyone found a workaround to get Yahoo mail to work??

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
I'm getting the same issue and it's pissing me off. I had no problems with the iP4. Anyone found a workaround to get Yahoo mail to work??

glad I'm not the only one
I tried deleting my yahoo account and still get the "Yahoo server is unavailable"

Renaldo63

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
Getting Yahoo! Mail To Work On iPhone 5

Hi -

I had same problems, but got Yahoo! mail to work on my new iPhone5 by deleting the old Yahoo! mail account and setting up a new mail account by inputting the information below for a new Yahoo! imap mail account. Make sure to go to "Add Account" and choose "Other," not the Yahoo! template, then input your Yahoo! email information. It worked for me!

How to set up IMAP on your mobile device
ID: SLN3361Refers to: Mobile Mail , Mobile

Description
This article explains how to configure your mobile device to use Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP).

Resolution
To set up Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) on your mobile device, please use the following settings:
Incoming Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Incoming Port - 993 (requires SSL)
Outgoing Port - 465 (requires SSL/TLS)
User name: full email address (for example, bill@yahoo.com or bill@rocketmail.com)
Password: the password you log in to Yahoo! with.
Note: If your Yahoo! Mail address does not match your Yahoo! ID, you will need to use the beginning of your Yahoo! Mail address when you set up your client. For example, if your Yahoo! Mail address is "jim@yahoo.com", but your Yahoo! ID is "james", you will need to use "jim" as your user name when setting up the IMAP client.
If you are having trouble setting up IMAP on your mobile device, we would recommend reviewing your phones instruction manual or contacting your mobile provider.

Renaldo63

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
Getting Yahoo Mail To Work On iPhone 5

Try this
Hi -

I had same problems, but got Yahoo! mail to work on my new iPhone5 by deleting the old Yahoo! mail account and setting up a new mail account by inputting the information below for a new Yahoo! imap mail account. Make sure to go to "Add Account" and choose "Other," not the Yahoo! template, then input your Yahoo! email information. It worked for me!

Description
This article explains how to configure your mobile device to use Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP).

Resolution
To set up Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) on your mobile device, please use the following settings:
User name: full email address (for example, bill@yahoo.com or bill@rocketmail.com)
Note: If your Yahoo! Mail address does not match your Yahoo! ID, you will need to use the beginning of your Yahoo! Mail address when you set up your client. For example, if your Yahoo! Mail address is "jim@yahoo.com", but your Yahoo! ID is "james", you will need to use "jim" as your user name when setting up the IMAP client.
If you are having trouble setting up IMAP on your mobile device, we would recommend reviewing your phones instruction manual or contacting your mobile provider.

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
I'm having the same problem, but with only 2 yahoo mail accounts (I have several). I will try the fix listed above.

----------

glad I'm not the only one
I tried deleting my yahoo account and still get the "Yahoo server is unavailable"

I did the same thing earlier with the same results.

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
Hi -

Description

Resolution

This worked!!! Thanks for posting this solution!!!!

Renaldo63

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
Glad It Worked For You!

Glad getting Yahoo! mail to operate worked for you!

This is the first time I posted a solution and after the numerous times I have been helped on the forum, I am glad I could assist for once.

MacRumors!

Macintosh69

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
Thank You!

OMG, I've been troubleshooting this all day...thank you for posting!

Hi -

Description

Resolution

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Hi -

Description

Resolution

thanks it worked, heres a video if some people need help with it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWVWEwm5wTc

epicollector

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Corona, CA
Alternate fix for Yahoo Mail Server Verification on iPhone 5

The methods described in these threads did not work for me after deleting the mail account settings and creating an Other Account and entering the POP mail server settings for my Yahoo business account, however I did discover another method to correct the problem.

The problem is that the Yahoo servers could not verify the iPhone 5 as an authorized device. I downloaded the Yahoo app and used it to verify the device. When you first enter your username and password, it will reset those fields and provide a verification box of letters and numbers. Enter that information (AND THE USERNAME AND PASSWORD again). This completes the verification process and Mail will work with your Yahoo account.

If you have regular Yahoo mail, you can continue to use the Yahoo app as well as Mail. Unfortunately for me, business accounts are not supported in the Yahoo app, but the Mail app still made the connection and downloaded all of the email on the server and became functional as expected, using my original POP settings.

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Only IMAP method worked for me. All other methods (Yahoo! app login, switch private browsing, change password etc...) didn't work. But IMAP method don't sync everything like address book which is highly desirable.

This happened when I was switching from one iPhone to another via iCloud backup and restore. I think Yahoo's security measures must be at play here but of course they provide a cryptic error message.

I just waited 12 hours and everything worked perfectly. This is the second time it happened like this (switched iPhone about a month ago and encountered the samething) I'm guessing Yahoo must have a time period to block mobile access due to what it thinks is suspicious activity.

markymark1984

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
I had this problem too. Even the guy at the store i brought the phone from couldn't work it out :mad:

Make sure you have the latest version of ios on the device. I found out a new update 6.0.1 is now out and after updating this allowed me to set up emails.

Reactions: newsman787

kenn1940

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Yahoo mail

I contacted ATT office who ended up talking to Apple. Was told their is a problem with new operating system and it will beThursday of this week before their is a fix.:mad:

Setsuka090

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Thanks a lot

Hi -

Description

Resolution

Thanks a lot, hours of headache from yahoo solved by your tips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.