Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turn1racing

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Something to check

I wonder if it has anything to do with cell strength.

The field test call that worked on older iphones works on the new 5 (just tested it)

My battery has been decent and FT showed roughly 90 dBm. From reading it seems this isn't the best signal even though the phone will show 4 bars.

I think this FT is also a way to check what MHz your LTE uses. I'm on Verizon and mine shows 10 MHz which I think is the slower one. Not sure if Verizon even uses a higher one, but I remember reading that ATT has both 10 and 20 networks.

The number to dial for the Field Test Mode is "*3001#12345#*" without quotes

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
what the heck is this going to prove? We already know a phone will get better battery life when on wifi vs. celluar.

----------

not to mention it's highly dependent on your cell signal... weak signal = more battery drain.

The battery is draining TWICE as fast. While not browsing at all and full bars.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
Wifi and 3G browsing mostly. Very impressed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 105

ChrisNYC83

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Fix for battery

So I did do a restore from back up when I got the phone. I did notice that my phone was dying QUICKLY. Considering I live in NYC the 4G LTE network is probably the best going in the US. Anyway, I noticed someone suggested a factory reset of settings and guess what... issue fixed. Just do a reset and youll be fine.

ENJOY!

theking79

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
So I did do a restore from back up when I got the phone. I did notice that my phone was dying QUICKLY. Considering I live in NYC the 4G LTE network is probably the best going in the US. Anyway, I noticed someone suggested a factory reset of settings and guess what... issue fixed. Just do a reset and youll be fine.

ENJOY!

Did this, nothing has changed.

I'm on 74% after 1hr 25mins

Adjust

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
sIgjL.png

Picked up the Black 32GB at 8:02 and it lasted a whole day through normal/almost extensive usage. Phone calls and Games and a lot of data download.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
How come I have no numbers in my last full charge? Is it because I'm charging via computer?

turn1racing

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Anybody able to check this yet?

I wonder if it has anything to do with cell strength.

The field test call that worked on older iphones works on the new 5 (just tested it)

My battery has been decent and FT showed roughly 90 dBm. From reading it seems this isn't the best signal even though the phone will show 4 bars.

I think this FT is also a way to check what MHz your LTE uses. I'm on Verizon and mine shows 10 MHz which I think is the slower one. Not sure if Verizon even uses a higher one, but I remember reading that ATT has both 10 and 20 networks.

The number to dial for the Field Test Mode is "*3001#12345#*" without quotes

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
When I first got my iPhone 4 I remember thinking the battery life was pretty darn awful, but 2 years down the line on iOS 5 my battery is holding up really well!

If you are travelling in a car and can do without the internet, bloody make sure you turn airplane mode on! The constants witching of cellular zones drains the battery fast!

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
I'm getting less than half the battery life of you doing the same. What settings do you have?

I wouldn't say I'm doing anything special, I was getting half the life with 4s on same settings.

I've found auto brightness a LOT better today. Right now it's set itself to minimum as its dark in my flat, I think that is definitely helping.

Otherwise push is on, wifi on, I turn cellular data off when I'm at work as I don't get phone signal (but do wifi) however like I said comparing the same conditions u was getting close to half that on 4s, iCloud on, location services on (nothing nuts though).

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
The battery is draining TWICE as fast. While not browsing at all and full bars.

An gotcha! That's a fast depletion. I've been on 3G and LTE and wifi today. My first 100% charge after getting it . (I'm trying to drain it down now) and I'm sitting at 16% with 5hours 48min use and 16hours 16min standby. Guessing ill get about 6.5 hours of use and 24 hours standby before I get drained. We'll see...

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I really dont get how some guys actually get 7 or more hours. On wifi only that would be a miracle.
I want that too!:(

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Sorry i know this isn't exactly super valid info, but i didnt take a screenshot yesterday. Yesterday, after i got home and charged it fully to 100%, i got 3 hours 28 minutes usage and 9 hours standby. 51% left. 2 hours of that was at my friends house with terrible reception.

Today, this is what i have so far. I have been using it normally. I suspect a lot of people with bad battery have just been going nuts with exploring stuff.

screenshots from today: Decent?

photo.PNG

photo1o.png

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
How did Engadget get 11 hours of video on LTE? That seems crazy compared to what I have. I have 3 hours usage on 4G and 8 hours of standby and I'm at 40%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.