Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I have a brand new Hyundai Elantra (2013) that has a built-in USB port. I plugged in Lightning-->USB cable to my iPhone 5, expecting it to charge. Nada. The battery icon flashes like it's charging for a few seconds, stops, then runs off battery.

So then I tried my old iPhone car charger, which has an extra USB port to charge an additional device. Plugged the Lighting cable into that too. Nada.

I was hoping this would keep me charged in the car until I get the 30 PIN adapter to use with the Hyundai-specific cable (that lets me control music via the steering wheel).

I repeated this with all 4(!) Lighting cables that I've received between yesterday and today. They all work fine on my PC or wall charger.

Anyone experience this? Very frustrating.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Are you sure that's a powered USB port? Have you tried it before with your old iPhone and the 30 pin cable?

The reason I ask if because my car also has a USB port but its only for software updates, it doesn't actually charge. Have to use the iPod connection to charge the phone and play music.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Even the old iPhones didn't reliably charge off a power-only USB port. At work, mine won't charge from powered USB hub unless it's plugged into my MacBook.

Think iPhone chargers (and probably the Elantra port) had some circuitry to do USB negotiation. Sounds like maybe they need something different now.

There are adapters out there that solve this problem for Android phones by bridging two pins in the connector. I wonder if they'd also work for this.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I can't speak the built-in USB ports, but my Alpine head unit and plug in USB charger work just fine.

I have THIS Rocketfish USB charger.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
What has changed about the iPhone 5 that makes this so? All of my chargers still work.

I said some. The USB car chargers on the cheaper end don't work. My normal one works but the ones we bought on eBay do not. Not sure what's different.

sabu213

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
Fresno Ca
I can't speak the built-in USB ports, but my Alpine head unit and plug in USB charger work just fine.

I also have an Alpine head Unit. A DVD/NAV double din with a USB connector. Iphone 5 w/ lightning cable works fine audio wise. I plug it in and close center console. all music controlled threw deck.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Here's the response from AppleCare:

"Due to the Lightning connector being all digital, it won't work with current models of vehicles or other charging stations other than the wall adapter it came with. However, there might be an adapter in the future that will solve that. I will send this to Engineering and see what they come up with for a quicker solution in case they might have a better way of getting this to work."

yang88she

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
ATL
Works fine on my USB car charger, it came from AT&T when I bought it for my android phone with a mini USB plus a USB slot

Noticed that the lightening cable charges incredibly fast as I was on 8% and charged to 85% in an hour ride home

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
That's bizarre because I tried the same thing with my car charger, that I got with my iPhone 3G, but no charge.

I'm slightly annoyed about these compatibility issues, but beyond pissed that Apple launched the phone without all of the adapters ready to go. Apple has prided themselves on delivering turnkey solutions for their customers.

CaCohen0509

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
I have a brand new Hyundai Elantra (2013) that has a built-in USB port. I plugged in Lightning-->USB cable to my iPhone 5, expecting it to charge. Nada. The battery icon flashes like it's charging for a few seconds, stops, then runs off battery.

So then I tried my old iPhone car charger, which has an extra USB port to charge an additional device. Plugged the Lighting cable into that too. Nada.

I was hoping this would keep me charged in the car until I get the 30 PIN adapter to use with the Hyundai-specific cable (that lets me control music via the steering wheel).

I repeated this with all 4(!) Lighting cables that I've received between yesterday and today. They all work fine on my PC or wall charger.

I have the exact same car as OP. I also tried plugging in directly to the USB port and saw the same flashing on and off charging symbol. I'm hoping that when the adapter is available. It'll fix this.

chele519

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012

I have the 2012 Elantra, when I plugged mine in I had the same battery flashing then got the message USB read error. When you get the adapter, can you please post to say if it works for the steering wheel controls?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I ordered the Griffin Powerjolt for iPhone & iPad. I figured if it can charge an iPhone and an iPad, it should be able to charge the 5 with no issues.

In case it doesn't work, I bought it from eBay for about 5 bucks so it won't be a huge loss.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
I ordered the Griffin Powerjolt for iPhone & iPad. I figured if it can charge an iPhone and an iPad, it should be able to charge the 5 with no issues.

In case it doesn't work, I bought it from eBay for about 5 bucks so it won't be a huge loss.

I'm sure your griffin will work. I have the powerjolt duo micro and it charges my iPhone 5 fine.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
That's bizarre because I tried the same thing with my car charger, that I got with my iPhone 3G, but no charge.

I'm slightly annoyed about these compatibility issues, but beyond pissed that Apple launched the phone without all of the adapters ready to go. Apple has prided themselves on delivering turnkey solutions for their customers.

what is the USB port in the car for specifically?

Slabonski

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
Perhaps it is a faulty lightning cable? Check this out. http://fenix-tech.com/iphone-5-lighting-cable-problems/

Anyone know the iPhone 5 charging requirements? I find it hard to believe it changed much from the iPhone 4S.

BTW the max for a standard downstream USB 1.0 & 2.0 port is 5 volts at 500ma (.5A) and USB 3.0 bumps it to 900ma (.9A). A USB charging downstream port or dedicated charging port can go up to 5A (with cable length restrictions).

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
what is the USB port in the car for specifically?

For charging USB devices and playing back music

----------

Perhaps it is a faulty lightning cable? Check this out. http://fenix-tech.com/iphone-5-lighting-cable-problems/

Anyone know the iPhone 5 charging requirements? I find it hard to believe it changed much from the iPhone 4S.

BTW the max for a standard downstream USB 1.0 & 2.0 port is 5 volts at 500ma (.5A) and USB 3.0 bumps it to 900ma (.9A). A USB charging downstream port or dedicated charging port can go up to 5A (with cable length restrictions).

I tried 4 different lighting cables that all work fine with my computer or charging adapters

Slabonski

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
For charging USB devices and playing back music

----------

I tried 4 different lighting cables that all work fine with my computer or charging adapters

Ok so maybe the iPhone 5 will not work with a standard downstream USB port and requires at least a charging downstream USB port?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.