Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefan74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
The iPhone has totally screwed AT&Ts LTE! It would usually take a few seconds to download an app under 5MB. It literally took me 48 seconds to download a 3.4MB app earlier tonight. I uninstalled it, got on my wifi and it downloaded in a second. Not only that but my Speedtest results show it too. I would average between 5-7Mbps down and around 2-3 up. Been running different tests most the day and I am lucky to hit 3Mbps down and 1 up. Most are around 2 down and under 1 up. Screw you iPhone!

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
That sucks. It hasn't even begun either. There's millions of iPhones still in transit.

iphonefan74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
The first pic with the white SIII is from today in the Verizon store on LTE. The screenshot is from my SIII on AT&Ts LTE. Same server in LA even. This is even worse than 3G speeds, pathetic.

Attachments

• verizon.jpg
    verizon.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 157
  • att.png
    att.png
    460.1 KB · Views: 139

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Something doesn't seem right.

U were inside a cell store for 51 minutes? Must have been long wait?

Ping time on bottom is over 400ms. I've never seem that long of a ping except when my Verizon gnex LTE was searching and switching between LTE and 3G.

Strange to get that slow of a LTE speed on att LTE. Usually the guarantee speed is 5-12mpbs even with congestion.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Seems fine here in Portland ...

20-30mbps down consistently in a variety of areas. Downloaded a 500mb update for my Xperia ion last night and it was lightning fast.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
iOS is a data pig. It uses so much more data than android and I don't know why. The apps are always much larger than android apps as well. They must also try to maintain connections all the time as well.

Last edited:

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Galaxy S3 has 3 antennas and plastic body.

Iphone 5 has only 2 antennas and metal body.

From high school physics I learned a metal enclosure can block signals.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
you ever think about blaming at&t for not being able to handle the huge influx of lte devices (new iphones) this weekend? if anything, your two pictures show that verizon was ready for it (as a bunch of users also got new iphones), and at&t was not.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I thought the same thing--my LTE speeds were quite a bit slower in Tampa on Friday than I would typically see on my iPad but just ran this test--seems to have bounced back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 136

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Galaxy S3 has 3 antennas and plastic body.

Iphone 5 has only 2 antennas and metal body.

From high school physics I learned a metal enclosure can block signals.

??

He ran both tests on a GS3, just different networks.

I think his point was that the huge influx of new LTE iPhones onto AT&T's network has killed the bandwidth.

Good at high school physics. Reading comprehension, not so much. :rolleyes:

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Actually the poster's english is not good. He says his S3 is on at&t LTE and his screenshot has good speeds. Yet he said he was in a verizon store. Seems like his S3 and iphone are both on at&t, he just happens to be in a verizon store doing the screenshot. He should clarify.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Actually the poster's english is not good. He says his S3 is on at&t LTE and his screenshot has good speeds. Yet he said he was in a verizon store. Seems like his S3 and iphone are both on at&t, he just happens to be in a verizon store doing the screenshot. He should clarify.

Please read the below quote again and own up to your mistake instead of blaming it on iphonefan74.

The first pic with the white SIII is from today in the Verizon store on LTE. The screenshot is from my SIII on AT&Ts LTE. Same server in LA even. This is even worse than 3G speeds, pathetic.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

more clearly, the op's phone is a galaxy s3 on at&t's network. he compared his network speed with another galaxy s3, a display model inside a verizon store. no iphones were used to demonstrate network speed in either of the pics.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Point proven.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Gotcha, I see.

Well, also it's 4 bars vs 3 bars, could be more of a coverage issue than anything.

Will also note that in my small town we have only 3G from at&t and lately we get 4-5 mbps average speed. On iphone 5 launch day our 3G speeds went down below 0.2 mbps and a ping greater than 250 ms. But by nighttime speeds returned. It could be a network/server issue, but it certainly was temporary.

iphonefan74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Ok, I'm an idiot. Had no idea that AT&T pushed an update for the SIII a couple days ago that updated the PRL and new firmware for the LTE radio. Installed it last night and my speeds are back to normal. Carry on

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Then Verizon is a good choice because after having LTE I couldn't go back to HSPA+.

I feel the same, my previous phone was an iPhone 4S on AT&T's network.

Honestly going from my iPhone 4 to 4S (HSPA to HSPA+) I didn't notice any speed difference. Going from a 4S over to Verizon's LTE network on my GS3 is like night and day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.