Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:44 PM   #1
pound4pound
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Sold iPhone 5 on eBay. How to help buyer activate without changing my own contract?

Hi,

I bought an iPhone 5 from Apple on an AT&T contract and then sold it for a profit on eBay to somebody also on AT&T. They are having a hard time with activating the device as it apparently requires my billing zip and last 4 digits of my SSN to activate. I removed the SIM card before shipping the phone. An AT&T rep told me I have to activate with my info, which will deactivate my own phone line until I go to the AT&T store and ask for a new SIM card. Is this accurate? How can I help my ebay buyer activate his new phone?

Thank you!
pound4pound is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:35 AM   #2
benguild
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by pound4pound View Post
Hi,

I bought an iPhone 5 from Apple on an AT&T contract and then sold it for a profit on eBay to somebody also on AT&T. They are having a hard time with activating the device as it apparently requires my billing zip and last 4 digits of my SSN to activate. I removed the SIM card before shipping the phone. An AT&T rep told me I have to activate with my info, which will deactivate my own phone line until I go to the AT&T store and ask for a new SIM card. Is this accurate? How can I help my ebay buyer activate his new phone?

Thank you!
Yeah I went through this last year. Unfortunately, there's absolutely no way around it.

The way I fixed it was by remote desktoping into their Mac using Screen Sharing and using the DVD Player App in "Always On Top" (so the window always covers other windows) to type in the information without them being able to see it.

Doing so activated my iPhone number on their phone, so I had AT&T on the other line and a new SIM Card ready for them to activate immediately on my end.

Unfortunately, SIM Cards are not reusable, so you need a new SIM for your phone.

The best thing to do is activate the new handset when you get it (next time) and then switch the working SIM into whatever handset you want to keep. After the handset is activated once it'll work forever. However, it must be activated by the original owner first to prevent theft in transit.
__________________
http://benguild.com
benguild is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:51 AM   #3
Xarthan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
The best thing to do is activate the new handset when you get it (next time) and then switch the working SIM into whatever handset you want to keep. After the handset is activated once it'll work forever. However, it must be activated by the original owner first to prevent theft in transit.
what i discovered is if you erase the settings (reset iphone), it'll bring you back to the activation screen and you'll need the same info again.
Xarthan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:06 AM   #4
SavMBP15
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
You are pretty much screwed.

Best thing to do is have the person ship the phone back to you and you refund them. That is unless you want them to have some very sensitive data that they could use to hack your life 1 year from now after you forgot all about it.
SavMBP15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:15 AM   #5
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Uh ? All that hassle here you just pop a sim and carry on
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:31 PM   #6
mebc
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthan View Post
what i discovered is if you erase the settings (reset iphone), it'll bring you back to the activation screen and you'll need the same info again.
Is this true even if you pull out the nano-sim ship it without one and have them go to AT&T and get a new nano-sim?
mebc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:52 AM   #7
nicusor
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pound4pound View Post
Hi,

I bought an iPhone 5 from Apple on an AT&T contract and then sold it for a profit on eBay to somebody also on AT&T. They are having a hard time with activating the device as it apparently requires my billing zip and last 4 digits of my SSN to activate. I removed the SIM card before shipping the phone. An AT&T rep told me I have to activate with my info, which will deactivate my own phone line until I go to the AT&T store and ask for a new SIM card. Is this accurate? How can I help my ebay buyer activate his new phone?

Thank you!
I bought a 5 off eBay as well, had the original owner take out their SIM before turning on the phone and then walked over to an AT&T store and they gave me a new SIM programmed with my phone number. Easy and the SIM was free.
nicusor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:54 AM   #8
jls1986
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Will this happen when I sell my 4 on eBay? I'll just need to tell them to go into an AT&T store to have it activated?
jls1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:03 AM   #9
trixnrice
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
with AT&T or any sim carrier for that matter, activating an iphone has never needed that info to activate. you just insert a new sim card, and as long as they have an active account, the phone will activate. what the heck is the buyer from the op talking about. Trying to take sensitive information perhaps? lol. This has been the case since the beginning of cingular wireless, and for any phone. Iphone is no different. I just sold two att iphone 5's on ebay, buyers no issues with this at all. Sadly, At&t reps have no idea what they are talking about.
trixnrice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:09 AM   #10
mrskullfreak
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: michigan north detroit
Pretty Interesting thread.
Keep us utd
__________________
21" iMac, 13" Macbook pro, iPhone 5, iPhone 4
mrskullfreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Mercenary
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Surely you still have to pay the 24 months worth of contract fees to AT&T? And unless you sold it for a massive profit your not going to make any money from it?
Mercenary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:24 AM   #12
trixnrice
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Surely you still have to pay the 24 months worth of contract fees to AT&T? And unless you sold it for a massive profit your not going to make any money from it?
its called the dummy line loop hole. there's many options to go about it depending on how your account is set up, but yes, you make a significant profit. i'll just leave it at that.
trixnrice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:00 PM   #13
brawl96
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Guys, I bought an iPhone 5 with the no commitment pricing(for $750) and recently posted that to eBay. So far I haven't opened the 5 box and still using my 4S. Just to be clear, I have to open the box, take the sim card out and then ship it to him and every things good? Or should I keep it sealed and let him swap the cards(but if he doesn't swap the sims and turns it on, does my current 4S deactivate automatically, or does the buyer have to get my info?
brawl96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:34 AM   #14
SenseiPhone
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawl96 View Post
Guys, I bought an iPhone 5 with the no commitment pricing(for $750) and recently posted that to eBay. So far I haven't opened the 5 box and still using my 4S. Just to be clear, I have to open the box, take the sim card out and then ship it to him and every things good? Or should I keep it sealed and let him swap the cards(but if he doesn't swap the sims and turns it on, does my current 4S deactivate automatically, or does the buyer have to get my info?
iPhone with no commitment doesn't ask for SSN+Billing Zip Code.
SSN + Billing Zip code only required for iPhone purchased with contract / as an upgrade.
__________________
Factory Unlock iPhone 4S / 5 Service!
SenseiPhone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:11 AM   #15
brawl96
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseiPhone View Post
iPhone with no commitment doesn't ask for SSN+Billing Zip Code.
SSN + Billing Zip code only required for iPhone purchased with contract / as an upgrade.
Well in that case it wasn't no commitment pricing, rather just a really expensive upgrade because I DID use my SSN and zip to purchase it. In this CSS, what do I do?
brawl96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:15 AM   #16
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
Unfortunately, SIM Cards are not reusable, so you need a new SIM for your phone.
Incorrect. If the provider isn't an *******, they will change which SIM is registered with your account. Most will want to make you pay for a new one.
__________________
Out Of Warranty Replacements: (North America)
iPads: Mini; $219. 4th gen; $299. 3rd gen; $299, 2nd gen; $249. 1st gen; $229
iPhones: 5S; $269. 5C; $269 5; $229. 4S; $199. 4, 3GS, 3G, 1st gen; $169.
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:18 AM   #17
brawl96
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
Incorrect. If the provider isn't an *******, they will change which SIM is registered with your account. Most will want to make you pay for a new one.
Tom, my provider is AT&T. Can you read my above comment and help me out?
Ps- nice to see you again on Mac rumors of all places.
brawl96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:13 PM   #18
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawl96 View Post
Tom, my provider is AT&T. Can you read my above comment and help me out?
Ps- nice to see you again on Mac rumors of all places.
Oh hey man, no if you purchased it no commitment there will be NO Sim card in the phone. I did the exact same thing. It will ship without a SIM card.
__________________
Out Of Warranty Replacements: (North America)
iPads: Mini; $219. 4th gen; $299. 3rd gen; $299, 2nd gen; $249. 1st gen; $229
iPhones: 5S; $269. 5C; $269 5; $229. 4S; $199. 4, 3GS, 3G, 1st gen; $169.
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:34 PM   #19
ZipZap
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
You can call ATT and ask them to clear the SIM upgrade information. They'll still extend your contract. Does not matter what phone is used as long as you pay your account.

Just understand your cheap upgrade is gone for 2 more years
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:57 AM   #20
balcis
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthan View Post
what i discovered is if you erase the settings (reset iphone), it'll bring you back to the activation screen and you'll need the same info again.
was it unlocked or still at&t locked at that time?
balcis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:39 PM   #21
ndn001
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pound4pound View Post
Hi,

I bought an iPhone 5 from Apple on an AT&T contract and then sold it for a profit on eBay to somebody also on AT&T. They are having a hard time with activating the device as it apparently requires my billing zip and last 4 digits of my SSN to activate. I removed the SIM card before shipping the phone. An AT&T rep told me I have to activate with my info, which will deactivate my own phone line until I go to the AT&T store and ask for a new SIM card. Is this accurate? How can I help my ebay buyer activate his new phone?

Thank you!
I read some where that getting a unlock code from ebay helps you to by pass the activation, don't know exactly how it works
ndn001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:22 AM   #22
izeta
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
buy it

Worse case scenario you can just buy it off eBay, here's one of the listings I found:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACTIVATION-S...item564f39b7cf
izeta is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold iPhone on eBay, buyer wants me to unlock it? xTRIGGER092x iPhone 60 Mar 14, 2014 11:55 AM
Sold iPhone 5S on eBay, now buyer wants a refund almost 2 months later apwtwenty iPhone 205 Jan 13, 2014 12:51 PM
Sold iPhone 4s on ebay fully working - buyer says it doesn't work eggyrocks iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 10 Sep 29, 2013 12:27 PM
Sold Verizon iphone 4S on ebay, buyer (falsely) complaining that it's an ATT model. dsutton01 iPhone 31 Oct 26, 2012 12:10 PM
can't activate Iphone 4S, no contract from verizon Anabellas iPhone 2 Sep 22, 2012 09:01 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC