Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:49 AM   #26
max53389
macrumors member

If interested in the free ram usage on my iPod touch 4g:
iOS 6.0: 80mb

iOS 5.1.1: 140mb
IOS 4.3.2: 137 mb
(Took along time to downgrade and restore back up to iOS 6)
I got the average ram after a respring and after clearing the memory 3 times but iOS 6 couldn't free the memory so average couldn't get a little boost like other iOS versions. I got the free ram numbers from sbsettings and sbsettings is not fully compatible with iOS 6 so that might of been a factor.

I defiantly noticed the lack of ram in apps. It's the first iOS version where stock apps crashed on me. Settings and the app store crashed 5 minutes in. (I always restore when I upgrade so that is not the problem)
I hope I gave you some insight what is going on with iOS 6.
I might update you guys later with better results when sbsettings is compatible with iOS 6.
max53389 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:13 AM   #27
Cata M.
macrumors member

I've upgraded my iPod 4th Gen to iOS 6 and it works just perfectly (:
Cata M. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:41 AM   #28
thet3chbr0th3r5
macrumors member

I'm upgrading my iPod Touch 4G For a Reason

Dude iOS 6 runs so terribly on the iPod Touch 4G and that is the reason why I'm upgrading to the new iPod Touch 5G
YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/thet3chbr0th3r5
thet3chbr0th3r5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:51 AM   #29
Paradoxally
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thet3chbr0th3r5 View Post
Dude iOS 6 runs so terribly on the iPod Touch 4G and that is the reason why I'm upgrading to the new iPod Touch 5G
Yes, obviously the 5G will be much better, but I don't know what the problem with the 4G is that it runs so terribly on your device. Are you trying to play heavy games on it or something? I updated to iOS 6, did NOT restore from a backup (you shouldn't do this between iOS major releases, it effectively slows down your device), and it runs amazingly well compared to iOS 5.1.1. And my iPod is jailbroken with one or two tweaks (not SBSettings, not fully compatible anyway) that can't live without and it works fine.
Paradoxally is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:07 AM   #30
thet3chbr0th3r5
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxally View Post
Yes, obviously the 5G will be much better, but I don't know what the problem with the 4G is that it runs so terribly on your device. Are you trying to play heavy games on it or something? I updated to iOS 6, did NOT restore from a backup (you shouldn't do this between iOS major releases, it effectively slows down your device), and it runs amazingly well compared to iOS 5.1.1. And my iPod is jailbroken with one or two tweaks (not SBSettings, not fully compatible anyway) that can't live without and it works fine.
We'll I like to multitask a lot on my iPod Touch but I can only leave like 4 apps running in the background after that it just gets completely slower now my 4S does a lot better with performance than my iPod Touch 4G cause it has a dual core processor but also at the same time I am playing heavy duty games.
YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/thet3chbr0th3r5
thet3chbr0th3r5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:30 AM   #31
Adamb10
macrumors member

It seems like iOS 6 kills my battery more for whatever reason. Im getting about 2 hours of use out of the thing.
Adamb10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:45 AM   #32
Capex
macrumors regular

If I have the Music app open, it becomes completely unusable. I'm sure that will get fixed.. Anyone else encounter this??
Capex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:08 PM   #33
robertosh
macrumors 6502

Mine is useless now, also the music app lags. I'm downgrading to ios5...
robertosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:10 AM   #34
Moocher
macrumors regular

ios 6 problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamb10 View Post
It seems like iOS 6 kills my battery more for whatever reason. Im getting about 2 hours of use out of the thing.
Yes, I've noticed this and the RAM issue. I don't know which I dislike more. The 4th gen Touch is my 4th one and I use it for everything, almost constantly. Since the upgrade I have to charge it in the morning (I listen to podcasts at night to help me sleep) and again later in the day. Before the upgrade I needed only the evening charge.

Running only "System Status" app I have 16% of memory available. With the addition of reminders I have 11%. Adding mail to that leaves 9%. Adding Calendars leaves 6-7%. Adding Music leaves 3%. These are the apps I'm most likely to have in the background/running at one time. I'll often throw in a weather app. Three percent doesn't seem like much free space. Perhaps that's why the app store crashes. [adding the app store leaves about 2% - then when I try to search the app store it crashes]

I'll be buying an iPhone 5 in a month or so and if I can't figure out how to revert the Touch to ios 5 it can't come soon enough. I was hoping to keep the Touch for use in the car and at night.

Moocher
Moocher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:17 AM   #35
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1lljoy View Post
My iPod is jailbroken, using SBsettings and status bar options i can always see my free RAM. My friends RAM went down from an average of about 40mb, to under 10 after installing iOS6
Mine to sadly with no apps open and you can get a free ram checker on the App Store
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:41 AM   #36
Oats
macrumors regular

My experience so far with iOS 6 on iPod touch 4G:

1) Limited RAM is an issue. Most of my apps work fine, but several are crashing regularly. I suspect RAM is the issue, from other's comments.

2) No scientific studies yet, but my impression is battery life is worse.

3) Safari may be a bit better, but in general, no improvement in UI response/snappiness.

4) I like the redesigned App Store app, but unfortunately that's one of the Apps which is particularly unstable now on my iPod touch. Lots of crashes.
Oats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:36 PM   #37
Troneas
macrumors 65816

For the most part, everything runs fine.

My biggest gripe is with the new appstore. It crashes far too often when searching for apps or using genius; and this doesnt replicate on my IP 4S.
Troneas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:58 PM   #38
cvaldes
Banned

I just upgraded mine to iOS 6, it seems to behave okay. Admittedly, this is primarily a music player, I don't use it for much else these days (my iPhone 4S is my primary portable device).

Like Troneas, I did experience an App Store crash, trying to download the Podcasts app so I downloaded it on my Mac instead.
cvaldes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:01 AM   #39
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

Well, guess I spoke too soon. I've been having issues with crashing in certain apps, especially Safari (with one tab open), and the App store. This is a new device (just got it last week) and I barely have anything on it. Have already done a reset. It's definitely not hardware-related because it was running on iOS 5 great.
myrtlebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:27 AM   #40
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Well thanks to this thread I have decided not to upgrade my iPod to iOS6.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:20 AM   #41
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

Full charge to drain battery life on iPod touch 4.

Usage: 8 hours 6 minutes
Standby: 1 day 12 hours

Seems decent.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oats View Post
My experience so far with iOS 6 on iPod touch 4G:

1) Limited RAM is an issue. Most of my apps work fine, but several are crashing regularly. I suspect RAM is the issue, from other's comments.

2) No scientific studies yet, but my impression is battery life is worse.

3) Safari may be a bit better, but in general, no improvement in UI response/snappiness.

4) I like the redesigned App Store app, but unfortunately that's one of the Apps which is particularly unstable now on my iPod touch. Lots of crashes.
1. I agree and I doubt they optimized it to work for iPod touch 4 much.

2. Not really I get
Usage: 8 hours 6 minutes
Standby: 1 day 12 hours Seems alright eh?

3. Safari full screen browser is nice but many other app store apps can do the same thing and much more, take Chrome for example.

4. App store sucks, I agree. Crashes every. single. search. I'll have to use itunes again

Overall it is a pretty good update! Just fix the RAM leaks and I'll be good.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:11 PM   #42
Outrun1986
macrumors regular

Mine works perfectly after a restore and update. It is better than 4.2 which I was stuck on before because I didn't want to update to 5.
Outrun1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:51 PM   #43
njsoftware
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by max53389 View Post
If interested in the free ram usage on my iPod touch 4g:
iOS 6.0: 80mb

iOS 5.1.1: 140mb
IOS 4.3.2: 137 mb
(Took along time to downgrade and restore back up to iOS 6)
I got the average ram after a respring and after clearing the memory 3 times but iOS 6 couldn't free the memory so average couldn't get a little boost like other iOS versions. I got the free ram numbers from sbsettings and sbsettings is not fully compatible with iOS 6 so that might of been a factor.

I defiantly noticed the lack of ram in apps. It's the first iOS version where stock apps crashed on me. Settings and the app store crashed 5 minutes in. (I always restore when I upgrade so that is not the problem)
I hope I gave you some insight what is going on with iOS 6.
I might update you guys later with better results when sbsettings is compatible with iOS 6.
Thanks for this info.

I've also noticed that apps are now more prone to crashing. The app store, in particular, crashes a lot. I've looked at the crash reports on the device (Settings: General: About: Diagnostics & Usage: Diagnostic & Usage Data), and most of the crashes were from low memory errors.

Running the app store seems to use 40 MB of RAM if you just run it and do nothing. It's no wonder that trying to navigate through it crashes the app often.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:30 PM   #44
seanpercival01
Banned

Well, guess I spoke ahead of time. i have been having problems with bloody in bound apps, particularly hunting expedition (with one tab open), and therefore the App store. this can be a replacement device (just got it last week) and that i barely have something thereon. Have already done a reset. It's positively not hardware-related as a result of it absolutely was running on iOS five nice.
seanpercival01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:42 PM   #45
dchao
macrumors 6502a

I have quite a few iDevices on iOS 5. iPad2, iPad3, iPhone 4S, all of them got an iOS6 notification badge from Setting>General>SoftwareUpdate. Except my iPod touch 4th gen. So the iOS 6 software has never been downloaded automatically. (my touch has 5GB free space so there is plenty of room).

I am wondering now if iOS 6 is really optimized to run on the touch at all?

I am going to wait for the next update and see what happen next.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:49 PM   #46
Troneas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsoftware View Post
Thanks for this info.

I've also noticed that apps are now more prone to crashing. The app store, in particular, crashes a lot. I've looked at the crash reports on the device (Settings: General: About: Diagnostics & Usage: Diagnostic & Usage Data), and most of the crashes were from low memory errors.

Running the app store seems to use 40 MB of RAM if you just run it and do nothing. It's no wonder that trying to navigate through it crashes the app often.
Ya but surely its not intended.

It doesnt crash running asphalt 7 but it does using the app store? Theres some crappy code and mem leaks in the new app store me thinks.
Troneas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:38 PM   #47
njsoftware
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
Ya but surely its not intended.

It doesnt crash running asphalt 7 but it does using the app store? Theres some crappy code and mem leaks in the new app store me thinks.
I wouldn't doubt it. Hopefully, the next iOS update brings some fixes.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:59 PM   #48
stormbring
macrumors newbie

Angry Ipod Stuck

I upgrade my Ipod touch with ios6 and now its stuck on the itunes logo and usb cable plugged it into my computer and tried to restore it but it won't let me do anything can anybody help?
stormbring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:35 PM   #49
MicroByte
macrumors 6502

After about a week of use, I feel as though everything runs slower and am experiencing crashes far more often than before. Games seem to run at lower frame rates and crash more often.

The AppStore seems to crash a lot as well. I can't recall the AppStore really ever crashing before, but it seems like search crashes almost every time.

If the iPod Touch 5G wasn't coming, I would be really disappointed with things in this state. Hopefully the fresh hardware will bring things back to a reasonable state.

Also, this is a non jailbroken device.
MicroByte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:42 AM   #50
Iceboie
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbring View Post
I upgrade my Ipod touch with ios6 and now its stuck on the itunes logo and usb cable plugged it into my computer and tried to restore it but it won't let me do anything can anybody help?
Plug in your Ipod to your computer and open the Tinyumbrella.. There is a button on the app saying Exit Recovery..
Iceboie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch