Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max53389

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
If interested in the free ram usage on my iPod touch 4g:
iOS 6.0: 80mb

iOS 5.1.1: 140mb
IOS 4.3.2: 137 mb
(Took along time to downgrade and restore back up to iOS 6)
I got the average ram after a respring and after clearing the memory 3 times but iOS 6 couldn't free the memory so average couldn't get a little boost like other iOS versions. I got the free ram numbers from sbsettings and sbsettings is not fully compatible with iOS 6 so that might of been a factor.

I defiantly noticed the lack of ram in apps. It's the first iOS version where stock apps crashed on me. Settings and the app store crashed 5 minutes in. (I always restore when I upgrade so that is not the problem)
I hope I gave you some insight what is going on with iOS 6.
I might update you guys later with better results when sbsettings is compatible with iOS 6.

thet3chbr0th3r5

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
I'm upgrading my iPod Touch 4G For a Reason

Dude iOS 6 runs so terribly on the iPod Touch 4G and that is the reason why I'm upgrading to the new iPod Touch 5G

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Dude iOS 6 runs so terribly on the iPod Touch 4G and that is the reason why I'm upgrading to the new iPod Touch 5G

Yes, obviously the 5G will be much better, but I don't know what the problem with the 4G is that it runs so terribly on your device. Are you trying to play heavy games on it or something? I updated to iOS 6, did NOT restore from a backup (you shouldn't do this between iOS major releases, it effectively slows down your device), and it runs amazingly well compared to iOS 5.1.1. And my iPod is jailbroken with one or two tweaks (not SBSettings, not fully compatible anyway) that can't live without and it works fine.

thet3chbr0th3r5

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
Yes, obviously the 5G will be much better, but I don't know what the problem with the 4G is that it runs so terribly on your device. Are you trying to play heavy games on it or something? I updated to iOS 6, did NOT restore from a backup (you shouldn't do this between iOS major releases, it effectively slows down your device), and it runs amazingly well compared to iOS 5.1.1. And my iPod is jailbroken with one or two tweaks (not SBSettings, not fully compatible anyway) that can't live without and it works fine.

We'll I like to multitask a lot on my iPod Touch but I can only leave like 4 apps running in the background after that it just gets completely slower now my 4S does a lot better with performance than my iPod Touch 4G cause it has a dual core processor but also at the same time I am playing heavy duty games.

Adamb10

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2004
It seems like iOS 6 kills my battery more for whatever reason. Im getting about 2 hours of use out of the thing.

Capex

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Canada
If I have the Music app open, it becomes completely unusable. I'm sure that will get fixed.. Anyone else encounter this??

Moocher

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
NE Atlanta area
ios 6 problems

It seems like iOS 6 kills my battery more for whatever reason. Im getting about 2 hours of use out of the thing.

Yes, I've noticed this and the RAM issue. I don't know which I dislike more. The 4th gen Touch is my 4th one and I use it for everything, almost constantly. Since the upgrade I have to charge it in the morning (I listen to podcasts at night to help me sleep) and again later in the day. Before the upgrade I needed only the evening charge.

Running only "System Status" app I have 16% of memory available. With the addition of reminders I have 11%. Adding mail to that leaves 9%. Adding Calendars leaves 6-7%. Adding Music leaves 3%. These are the apps I'm most likely to have in the background/running at one time. I'll often throw in a weather app. Three percent doesn't seem like much free space. Perhaps that's why the app store crashes. [adding the app store leaves about 2% - then when I try to search the app store it crashes]

I'll be buying an iPhone 5 in a month or so and if I can't figure out how to revert the Touch to ios 5 it can't come soon enough. I was hoping to keep the Touch for use in the car and at night.

Moocher

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
My iPod is jailbroken, using SBsettings and status bar options i can always see my free RAM. My friends RAM went down from an average of about 40mb, to under 10 after installing iOS6

Mine to sadly with no apps open and you can get a free ram checker on the App Store

Oats

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New York
My experience so far with iOS 6 on iPod touch 4G:

1) Limited RAM is an issue. Most of my apps work fine, but several are crashing regularly. I suspect RAM is the issue, from other's comments.

2) No scientific studies yet, but my impression is battery life is worse.

3) Safari may be a bit better, but in general, no improvement in UI response/snappiness.

4) I like the redesigned App Store app, but unfortunately that's one of the Apps which is particularly unstable now on my iPod touch. Lots of crashes.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
For the most part, everything runs fine.

My biggest gripe is with the new appstore. It crashes far too often when searching for apps or using genius; and this doesnt replicate on my IP 4S.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I just upgraded mine to iOS 6, it seems to behave okay. Admittedly, this is primarily a music player, I don't use it for much else these days (my iPhone 4S is my primary portable device).

Like Troneas, I did experience an App Store crash, trying to download the Podcasts app so I downloaded it on my Mac instead.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Well, guess I spoke too soon. I've been having issues with crashing in certain apps, especially Safari (with one tab open), and the App store. This is a new device (just got it last week) and I barely have anything on it. Have already done a reset. It's definitely not hardware-related because it was running on iOS 5 great.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Full charge to drain battery life on iPod touch 4.

Usage: 8 hours 6 minutes
Standby: 1 day 12 hours

Seems decent.

----------

My experience so far with iOS 6 on iPod touch 4G:

1) Limited RAM is an issue. Most of my apps work fine, but several are crashing regularly. I suspect RAM is the issue, from other's comments.

2) No scientific studies yet, but my impression is battery life is worse.

3) Safari may be a bit better, but in general, no improvement in UI response/snappiness.

4) I like the redesigned App Store app, but unfortunately that's one of the Apps which is particularly unstable now on my iPod touch. Lots of crashes.

1. I agree and I doubt they optimized it to work for iPod touch 4 much.

2. Not really I get
Usage: 8 hours 6 minutes
Standby: 1 day 12 hours Seems alright eh?

3. Safari full screen browser is nice but many other app store apps can do the same thing and much more, take Chrome for example.

4. App store sucks, I agree. Crashes every. single. search. I'll have to use itunes again :(

Overall it is a pretty good update! Just fix the RAM leaks and I'll be good.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Mine works perfectly after a restore and update. It is better than 4.2 which I was stuck on before because I didn't want to update to 5.

njsoftware

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2009
If interested in the free ram usage on my iPod touch 4g:
iOS 6.0: 80mb

iOS 5.1.1: 140mb
IOS 4.3.2: 137 mb
(Took along time to downgrade and restore back up to iOS 6)
I got the average ram after a respring and after clearing the memory 3 times but iOS 6 couldn't free the memory so average couldn't get a little boost like other iOS versions. I got the free ram numbers from sbsettings and sbsettings is not fully compatible with iOS 6 so that might of been a factor.

I defiantly noticed the lack of ram in apps. It's the first iOS version where stock apps crashed on me. Settings and the app store crashed 5 minutes in. (I always restore when I upgrade so that is not the problem)
I hope I gave you some insight what is going on with iOS 6.
I might update you guys later with better results when sbsettings is compatible with iOS 6.

Thanks for this info.

I've also noticed that apps are now more prone to crashing. The app store, in particular, crashes a lot. I've looked at the crash reports on the device (Settings: General: About: Diagnostics & Usage: Diagnostic & Usage Data), and most of the crashes were from low memory errors.

Running the app store seems to use 40 MB of RAM if you just run it and do nothing. It's no wonder that trying to navigate through it crashes the app often.

seanpercival01

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
Well, guess I spoke ahead of time. i have been having problems with bloody in bound apps, particularly hunting expedition (with one tab open), and therefore the App store. this can be a replacement device (just got it last week) and that i barely have something thereon. Have already done a reset. It's positively not hardware-related as a result of it absolutely was running on iOS five nice.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I have quite a few iDevices on iOS 5. iPad2, iPad3, iPhone 4S, all of them got an iOS6 notification badge from Setting>General>SoftwareUpdate. Except my iPod touch 4th gen. So the iOS 6 software has never been downloaded automatically. (my touch has 5GB free space so there is plenty of room).

I am wondering now if iOS 6 is really optimized to run on the touch at all? :confused:

I am going to wait for the next update and see what happen next.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
Thanks for this info.

I've also noticed that apps are now more prone to crashing. The app store, in particular, crashes a lot. I've looked at the crash reports on the device (Settings: General: About: Diagnostics & Usage: Diagnostic & Usage Data), and most of the crashes were from low memory errors.

Running the app store seems to use 40 MB of RAM if you just run it and do nothing. It's no wonder that trying to navigate through it crashes the app often.

Ya but surely its not intended.

It doesnt crash running asphalt 7 but it does using the app store? Theres some crappy code and mem leaks in the new app store me thinks.

njsoftware

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2009
Ya but surely its not intended.

It doesnt crash running asphalt 7 but it does using the app store? Theres some crappy code and mem leaks in the new app store me thinks.

I wouldn't doubt it. Hopefully, the next iOS update brings some fixes.

stormbring

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Ipod Stuck

I upgrade my Ipod touch with ios6 and now its stuck on the itunes logo and usb cable plugged it into my computer and tried to restore it but it won't let me do anything can anybody help?

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
After about a week of use, I feel as though everything runs slower and am experiencing crashes far more often than before. Games seem to run at lower frame rates and crash more often.

The AppStore seems to crash a lot as well. I can't recall the AppStore really ever crashing before, but it seems like search crashes almost every time.

If the iPod Touch 5G wasn't coming, I would be really disappointed with things in this state. Hopefully the fresh hardware will bring things back to a reasonable state.

Also, this is a non jailbroken device.

Iceboie

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
I upgrade my Ipod touch with ios6 and now its stuck on the itunes logo and usb cable plugged it into my computer and tried to restore it but it won't let me do anything can anybody help?

Plug in your Ipod to your computer and open the Tinyumbrella.. There is a button on the app saying Exit Recovery..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.