Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Both are anodized aluminum. Anodization is a chemical process that replicates natural aluminum oxidation, but done to enhance (since many colors can be used) the beauty of Al and to increase wear. It normally takes years or really tough use to wear through. It's not paint that flecks off.

I've seen evidence of scuff gate in the store. Apple has years experience with anodizing Al. My 2009 MacBook Pro has NO worn sharp edges. It is Al anodized silver ( we call white here: it's a white phone and silver back side). Wasn't the iPhone 1 aluminum on the back? The iPad is the same anodized silver too. They have experience.

I've also have seen mistakes or bad anodization in my own professional experience that wear early. Kind of thinking this may be the case here, especially for the out of the box problems. I hope apple sorts this out. Could be a bad batch.

HOWEVER, I've seen marks on both black and white phones, mostly on the bevels. Whether due to wear or scratches, it's less apparent on the white, BUT on the black, I can cover it up with a black sharpie. What will I do with the silver? Not much.

So I will go black, and wait a tat for Apple to figure this out. I like black better. The scuff gates I've seen, well most all of them feel rough to my finger, so that is a scratch, not a chemical problem. Other scuffs are not so clearly understood to me.

It is curious. Some hated the glass back due to scratching. Well aluminum is softer than glass. But glass will shatter, Al will dent and scratch. Steel is too heavy and has RF problems. The macs are made from Al, but they all have feet on the bottom so they don't scrape on the desk; phones don't have feet. I think what is needed on the phone is just a screen protector on the metal back, or slim bumper feet to raise it off of surfaces. That would protect the matte back, the glass, and the bottom bevel edge from normal wear when laying on various table surfaces ( that are metal or have sand on them). The iPads could use the same.

Just a thought. A good anodization will last a reasonably long time, if no mgfr for errors are found. But scratches are something else and a fact of life. At least a black matte sharpie on the metal back will cover them up well. I like character but not on my phones. I would go white but I like the display better with a black border.

Last edited:

lawlbringer

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
My biggest concern with the black/slate iPhone 5 isn't so much the back scratching from daily wear and tear...but the aluminum frame wearing down and appearing silver.

It's different from the back it looks like, as if it's painted on. I did want a white one, but pocket lint(I wear dark clothes) is too obvious on the the white model.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
My biggest concern with the black/slate iPhone 5 isn't so much the back scratching from daily wear and tear...but the aluminum frame wearing down and appearing silver.

It's different from the back it looks like, as if it's painted on. I did want a white one, but pocket lint(I wear dark clothes) is too obvious on the the white model.

That will happen. The black or silver anodization process is only 0.1 mm deep. I have a gouge on my silver MBPS and it shows shiny metal below the silver. At least with black I can cover it up with a sharpie. Are there silver sharpies?

It's not paint. Sometimes anodization is done to let paint adhere better to metal. But this is pure anodization, a chemical dipping etching process. But it's not deep all the way through the metal. That is not possible.

The bevels are polished to a mirror finish. That removes a bit of the anodization so it's less deep probably. But if they are dinged out of the box, that is a mgfr issue. If YOU ding it, the raw metal will show through. Bevels or back.

Last edited:

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Are there silver sharpies?

:D

Favorite_Sharpie.jpg

lawlbringer

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
That will happen. The black or silver anodization process is only 0.1 mm deep. I have a gouge on my silver MBPS and it shows shiny metal below the silver. At least with black I can cover it up with a sharpie. Are there silver sharpies?

It's not paint. Sometimes anodization is done to let paint adhere better to metal. But this is pure anodization, a chemical dipping etching process. But it's not deep all the way through the metal. That is not possible.

It seems fairly cheaply made, IMO...

I am talking about the band around the phone, that isn't black...it's slate. Are there slate sharpies?

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009

I am talking about the band around the phone, that isn't black...it's slate. Are there slate sharpies?

I agree there seems something abnormal with the process. Should be better. The black sharpie should be a good match. However it will not look mirror like anymore. Apple should have left it matte. But that is Jony-Steve. They like shiny things that scratch up. Those chrome back iPods were silly.

I still think Apple should have machined 3 or 4 bumper feet on the iPhone back to protect it when we slide it on the table. Just like our laptops. Same with the IPads.

Apple are you listening? Maybe I'll go to the hardware store and find something. Jeez, doesn't need to be more than a 1 or 2 mm in height to do the job.

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
ive used black sharpie on my street bike where the black has worn and over time it looks like crap. its too bright in comparison.

you will be having to do that all the time after a while on this phone the paint will not hold up.

out of the box i had issues with it so i did a test with some things to see if it would scratch easy(i was returning anyway).

in my car i let it slide out of my pocket to the side of my seat(this has happened in my 4 a few times...pretty normal). Did that two times. It picked up 4 marks on the side from just that i was in shock how crappy the coating is.

Went home and test it with some things lights touching the sides i was able to take off paint not trying very hard. its unfortunate because i like the black a lot

I ended up returning it for a white one today. Over a few months use with no case the phone will look pretty bad. I never had a case on my 4 and it still looks new today 2 and a half years later. The silver band is a lot more durable then on the new phones.

i might end up going hybrid and swapping the front glass for black and getting some cover pieces for the back glass.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Went home and test it with some things lights touching the sides i was able to take off paint not trying very hard. its unfortunate because i like the black a lot

I ended up returning it for a white one today. Over a few months use with no case the phone will look pretty bad. I never had a case on my 4 and it still looks new today 2 and a half years later. The silver band is a lot more durable then on the new phones.

That's why I think it's a bad anodization batch. Problem is a batch could be 100,000's phones. It shouldn't come off that easily, especially against soft materials. Black anodization on my cameras and othe things last for years.

lawlbringer

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Build quality really isn't what I was accustomed to from the 4/4S and like, every other Apple product I've tried. The back is fine, but the band around the phone really should've been better constructed...it will receive the most wear and tear with everyday use.

Really wish I just hung onto my 4. :(

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I will get the black one and use the hell out of it. It will probably get scratched but this will only give it character. My 2g iPhone had scratches and a dent but i didn't mind.

Having it pristine is pristinely boring.

My two cents.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Build quality really isn't what I was accustomed to from the 4/4S and like, every other Apple product I've tried. The back is fine, but the band around the phone really should've been better constructed...it will receive the most wear and tear with everyday use.

Really wish I just hung onto my 4. :(

The piece is a unibody. Back and sides are one piece.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

There's a difference between "delicate" and "cheaply made." 22kt gold jewelry is often delicate but not cheaply made.

If Apple wanted to make the most durable phones possible, they'd use plastic like Samsung and HTC. Plastic is flexible (which absorbs force and springs back to shape) and can easily be coated with scratch resistant layers. However, phones made with metal and glass have a more premium appearance, and so some companies, notably Apple and recently Nokia have used those materials.

----------

That's why I think it's a bad anodization batch. Problem is a batch could be 100,000's phones. It shouldn't come off that easily, especially against soft materials. Black anodization on my cameras and othe things last for years.

You could be right. That may also be why the black display phones I have seen (at busy Apple and AT&T stores) looked pristine after more than a day of people picking them up and putting them down.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
There's a difference between "delicate" and "cheaply made." 22kt gold jewelry is often delicate but not cheaply made.

True. I, and my friend, we both have $10,000 Rolex watches. He wears his every day. I wear mine 2x a year. His looks like crap all scuffed, scratched and dull. Gold is soft.

My everyday $100 titanium watch is not pristine, but in good shape.

formerpc

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
Um.. I thought apple said the white iPh5 has raw aluminum while the black has the anodized material?

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Are there silver sharpies?

So you are going to cover a silver scuff, that exposes silver underneath with a silver sharpie?

Attachments

• No+rage+comics+faces+on+this+channel+_e54447f99d7176275c60ca2f783e5d7d.jpg
    No+rage+comics+faces+on+this+channel+_e54447f99d7176275c60ca2f783e5d7d.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 846

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Um.. I thought apple said the white iPh5 has raw aluminum while the black has the anodized material?

It anodized like the back of the iPads

From Apple's web page

http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/

Aluminum and Glass Body

The back of iPhone 5 is made of anodized 6000 series aluminum — the same material used in Apple notebooks — with inlays along the top and bottom made of ceramic glass (on the white and silver model) or pigmented glass (on the black and slate model).

Last edited:

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
So you are going to cover a silver scuff, that exposes silver underneath with a silver sharpie?

Lol. It's silver anodized. Not aluminum color. Scratch it and you will see the difference. Same as the apple notebooks. Without anodization, bare aluminum will oxide eventually but may not look like the silver.

From Apples web page

http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/

Aluminum and Glass Body

The back of iPhone 5 is made of anodized 6000 series aluminum — the same material used in Apple notebooks — with inlays along the top and bottom made of ceramic glass (on the white and silver model) or pigmented glass (on the black and slate model).

Last edited:

MikeDVB

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
My phone slid out of my pocket when sitting at my desk and hit the edge of my wooden desk. Took a pretty big bit of the finish off the chamfered edge. A little disappointed as my phone case is going to be here tomorrow...

Touched it with a black sharpie so at least it's not bright reflective silver color.

Debated getting the white to begin with when I preordered, had a feeling the black wouldn't stay black. Sad to be proven correct, but my phone will live in a case and I prefer the black glass front.

Oh well. Guess we'll have to see what they offer next year. Hopefully something with a more durable finish.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
My phone slid out of my pocket when sitting at my desk and hit the edge of my wooden desk. Took a pretty big bit of the finish off the chamfered edge. A little disappointed as my phone case is going to be here tomorrow...

Touched it with a black sharpie so at least it's not bright reflective silver color.

Debated getting the white to begin with when I preordered, had a feeling the black wouldn't stay black. Sad to be proven correct, but my phone will live in a case and I prefer the black glass front.

Oh well. Guess we'll have to see what they offer next year. Hopefully something with a more durable finish.

Sorry that happened. Is it a ding or scrape? Photo with the sharpie touch up please?

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
It is curious. Some hated the glass back due to scratching. Well aluminum is softer than glass. But glass will shatter, Al will dent and scratch. Steel is too heavy and has RF problems. The macs are made from Al, but they all have feet on the bottom so they don't scrape on the desk; phones don't have feet. I think what is needed on the phone is just a screen protector on the metal back, or slim bumper feet to raise it off of surfaces. That would protect the matte back, the glass, and the bottom bevel edge from normal wear when laying on various table surfaces ( that are metal or have sand on them). The iPads could use the same.

So I gave the feet a try on my 4S and started a thread here. https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15860988/

Would work on IPhone 5 too. It's a low tack adhesive that removes easily. Will do it when I get mine.

sumabyta.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.