Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
I spent full price on this phone and picked up 2 white 16gb in store on day 1. I am no dumb aS$ that would pre order just to get it 21 days later. WTF do i look like a chump to you. I walked in and all they had was 16gb white AT&T left and I did not want to leave empty hand. The man up top made a wise decision for me to have white instead of black. My phones are perfect and upon plugging into itunes i received the "UNLOCK NOTIFICATION".

NO COMMITMENT AND FULL PRICE IS LOTS OF $$$$$. I sold of unlocked iphone 4s to cover the cost of upgrade. I use straight talk for $42.xx monthly cost and upgrade when I want. my phones is in perfect condition and I had no issues. Regardless if i am spending $650+ then I expect JASON STATHAM to personaly make my iphone and deliever it to me. If it is less than perfect tim cook can bish slap him self with the phone.

The product you are giving me is damaged and as far as I am concerned is used. Than I will pay you a portion of the retail to make up for the damage or you sell me a $650 BRAND SPANKING NEW SPOTLESS/DING-LESS/DENT-LESS IPHONE 5.

Last edited by a moderator:

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Want to report here. I actually bought the phone from the store 64 GB, black on release day (Friday). It has a scuff near the bottom right seam (that line). I took it to the store yesterday morning and they replaced it with another. I opened the new iPhone's box (sealed) in the store and low-n-behold, it had even worse scuffs. It had a very very visible shinny dot on the power button.

I showed it to the guys in the store and they said they can't replace it for now (they were sold out of course so I was surprised they actually replaced it in the first place), and can only offer to give me my money back. Given the not-many options I have, I took back my original iPhone.

I will use the phone till Apple offers a recall or something. Other than that I think it isn't so bad in my case. I couldn't live with it if it was that replacement though.

----------

That's my phone. 64GB.

photo.JPG

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
I'll wait to buy an iPhone 5 when:

1. The paint stops flaking off.
2, ios6 for the A6 is untethered jailbroken

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Has anyone seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l4vpyQIafY

Looks to be a scuffgate "warning" before iPhone announcement

WOW. 10 out of 100 seems right to me, assuming the majority of those might have issues almost impossible to see. I mean, what's a pristine phone for us might be a defective one for that worker.

I made up my mind. Will wait a coupple of weeks and try out at the store. Open it right there and if it has one single scuff or whatever, return it and wait another week.

--------------------

Also, how do you guys know what week the phone is?

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
I spent full price on this phone and picked up 2 white 16gb in store on day 1. I am no dumb aS$ that would pre order just to get it 21 days later. WTF do i look like a chump to you. I walked in and all they had was 16gb white AT&T left and I did not want to leave empty hand. The man up top made a wise decision for me to have white instead of black. My phones are perfect and upon plugging into itunes i received the "UNLOCK NOTIFICATION".

NO COMMITMENT AND FULL PRICE IS LOTS OF $$$$$. I sold of unlocked iphone 4s to cover the cost of upgrade. I use straight talk for $42.xx monthly cost and upgrade when I want. my phones is in perfect condition and I had no issues. Regardless if i am spending $650+ then I expect JASON STATHAM to personaly make my iphone and deliever it to me. If it is less than perfect tim cook can bish slap him self with the phone.

The product you are giving me is damaged and as far as I am concerned is used. Than I will pay you a portion of the retail to make up for the damage or you sell me a $650 BRAND SPANKING NEW SPOTLESS/DING-LESS/DENT-LESS IPHONE 5.
Dude are you high?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDLade

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
One thing I don't get is how people are still swapping phones and getting replacements, when they are sold out :confused:

It's been sold out on the website since September the 14th yet people are getting replacements and ****, beats me :eek:

lawlbringer

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
One thing I don't get is how people are still swapping phones and getting replacements, when they are sold out :confused:

It's been sold out on the website since September the 14th yet people are getting replacemnts and ****, beats me :eek:

Yeah, same. I was told by retailers and Apple support themselves that they are out and will be out for at least a few weeks. :confused:

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

It's been sold out on the website since September the 14th yet people are getting replacemnts and ****, beats me :eek:

In the store we have here (a quite big Apple Store), they have stock but only for contract customers. So if you are signing up with some carrier. My guess this is where they get the replacements.

Sneakyfox

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
England, UK

Most/All Apple stores have a separate stock for replacements. Meaning that when their sellable stock is depleted (therefore 'sold out') they cant start dipping into the replacement-allocated stock, as yeah, its for replacement purposes :p

Low and behold, they're using it now more than ever!

ttopp

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Steve would say, "You're holding it WRONG".
^^like this^^ :)

I think Steve would have said NO to the ionised finish... Everyone knows it scratches easy I hoped there would have been a coating over the metal but nope.. Though mine is flawless so seeking a cover :)

on a side note ios 6 any one else think its graphically dull, reference point the phone keypad graphics. also uniformity of buttons/slides/switches seems to have been ignored..

TheDLade

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Wow. Would Apple really let go of their quality standards just to make a deadline?

It seems so, just to increase their stock market ****, so the proper or QC'd iPhone 5s come in October, I'm a bit excited to get mine, if it comes with scratches out of the box, I'll get a GS3

But it's really confusing because most iphone 5s on youtube do not scratch easily black or white, so there are definitely some bad apples here

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Should I change to a white( It looks disgusting) or should I cancel my order because I can't be dealing with this from a £530 phone

I got white on launch day because of this fiasco. My white iphone is flawless in every way. It was made in week 33 (August 11-18th 2012)

I think the earlier batches are having issues. If people with dents in their black / white iphones could please tell me what week your models were made we can pin this down.

Take the last few numbers of your serial number: For example mine is: F39D

Production week: 33 (August)
Generation: 7
Factory: C3 (China)
Colour: 64GB
Capacity: White

Go here: and put the last 4 digits of your serial number in, this will tell you the week your model was made and which factory

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

timinireland

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Norn Iron
Had to use manual focus to get the picture in focus!

KaJincT0

(click: really big image, but you can't see the nick that well with a low res image)

There's nothing wrong with the sim card tray, just the angle the light hits it that makes it look paintless.

Of course they say not many people are coming in for replacements, do you really expect him to say 'yes, we're having many issues with these phones'? :p

Might need to ask about a case 'at a reduced price' though...

I think its funny that more or less everyone who has posted a photo, including the one i posted earlier, has their phone sitting on a cloth lol
Just shows how afraid we are in getting this thing damaged even more.. :(

I might just put mine on Ebay then buy a white one, and cut my losses.. Put it down to experience..

----------

^^like this^^ :)

I think Steve would have said NO to the ionised finish... Everyone knows it scratches easy I hoped there would have been a coating over the metal but nope.. Though mine is flawless so seeking a cover :)

on a side note ios 6 any one else think its graphically dull, reference point the phone keypad graphics. also uniformity of buttons/slides/switches seems to have been ignored..

I think Steve is turning in his grave :(

macaronia

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2009
Oh boy... just made a poster that would ruin the image of the iPhone 5...
I won't share it because I lv Apple and I own a scuffed black iPhone 5 which I like, despite it is going look like an antique in no time

Last edited:

ScottyD100

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
Mine is black scuffed.
Production week: 35, 32gb and C3 factory...
Spoke to apple care yesterday and they asked for photo. They will send me replacement.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
No scratches on mine, but on the lower right antenna, right where it meets the screen, there's a blue spec/dot that can't be scratched off w/ my fingernail. Think they'll replace it for this?

Apologies if you later posted this information, but I note from the other thread that this was in fact glue residue which you were able to remove. By my reckoning that's 7 or 8 forum members that have found this to be the case now.

You were the only one whose marks appeared blue, the rest had initially thought they were scuffs/nicks.

I am thinking more people need to check for this, as it may save them a lot of hassle trying to return unnecessarily.

EDIT: I see you did post an update further down the thread, the point remains valid though & I hope it helps some people.

lawlbringer

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
I got white on launch day because of this fiasco. My white iphone is flawless in every way. It was made in week 33 (August 11-18th 2012)

I think the earlier batches are having issues. If people with dents in their black / white iphones could please tell me what week your models were made we can pin this down.

Take the last few numbers of your serial number: For example mine is: F39D

Production week: 33 (August)
Generation: 7
Factory: C3 (China)
Colour: 64GB
Capacity: White

Go here: and put the last 4 digits of your serial number in, this will tell you the week your model was made and which factory

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Not working for me...my last 4 are DTTN? The last 5 are actually just letters with no numbers...my numbers/letters mix is the first 4, but that didn't work either...

BUFFBOY

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
Sydney
waited inline from 5am, picked up two white 16gs shortly after it opened.
arived home to suprise gf and both have dents and scratches. took it back and they opened more brand new ones with same issue.

refund both.

wait for next batch ?

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Want to report here. I actually bought the phone from the store 64 GB, black on release day (Friday). It has a scuff near the bottom right seam (that line). I took it to the store yesterday morning and they replaced it with another. I opened the new iPhone's box (sealed) in the store and low-n-behold, it had even worse scuffs. It had a very very visible shinny dot on the power button.

I showed it to the guys in the store and they said they can't replace it for now (they were sold out of course so I was surprised they actually replaced it in the first place), and can only offer to give me my money back. Given the not-many options I have, I took back my original iPhone.

I will use the phone till Apple offers a recall or something. Other than that I think it isn't so bad in my case. I couldn't live with it if it was that replacement though.

----------

That's my phone. 64GB.

But it's so tiny!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.