Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I've heard conflicting reports... isn't the SIM what enables LTE, so wouldn't it have to have a SIM to use LTE with Verizon?

Thanks!

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Yes it must have a sim for service lte etc

They slapped my sim in for me

So for those buying from the Apple store (either by pre-order or in-store), they're not being handed over to you with a sim pre-installed? Seems strange to call it LTE and then have it delivered without a SIM, right? Sorry, just curious here.

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
my VZW iPhone 5 was delivered on friday. the iPhone box itself was sealed (plastic wrapping), but it did have a sim card pre installed. However I had to manually activate the SIM by following the instructions in the verizon booklet that was included with the iPhone box (in the brown fedex box). I had to call verizon's automated activation system and enter the information it asked for.

The sim card inside the phone is Verizon branded however.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
So for those buying from the Apple store (either by pre-order or in-store), they're not being handed over to you with a sim pre-installed? Seems strange to call it LTE and then have it delivered without a SIM, right? Sorry, just curious here.

My preorder had the SIM pre-installed - no need for me to do anything but power it up and follow the on-screen instructions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.