Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups

Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:01 PM   #1
MxNRG
macrumors newbie

Question Lakeside, Thurrock, UK - iPhone 5

I won't actually be queuing this year as I managed to get a couple of pre-orders at the Apple website for delivery on Friday 21st. Would be interested to know if anyone from last year is going on Friday and how things go down this year? I'm working that day otherwise I'd come and check out the queue just for the fun of it

Good Luck to all those that plan to brave the randomness of the Lakeside security people. I expect the queue this year will be even more manic than last year?!?!
MxNRG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:15 AM   #2
slippery
macrumors newbie

IPhone 5 Meetup

A big hello to all the guys & girls I meet at last years iPhone 4s launch including Big Ells, Tone & Amanda, Naeem and who can forget The Crazy Little ManChild Dude...! Unfortunately I can't be there this year as Im New York on business (shopping) lol but perhaps those of you who will be there can keep me informed of all the craziness via twitter(@leewhite1972). I'll post some pics of the chaos at the Apple 5th Avenue & Grand Central Terminal Stores for comparison.. Lol
Anyway guys have a great time and enjoy your new iPhone.
Take care
Lee
(Slippery)

Last edited by slippery; Sep 16, 2012 at 03:36 AM.
slippery is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:14 AM   #3
MxNRG
macrumors newbie

Hi Lee,

I expect the craziness in NY to be another level but at least the queues will be well managed. Do they sell sim free iPhones on launch day in the US stores? Be careful buying there as the 4G frequencies of the US GSM handset are not compatible with UK/International 4G networks. The phones sold outside America are a different model for 4G.

http://www.slashgear.com/choose-care...ises-14247589/

Regards,

Naeem.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:12 AM   #4
slippery
macrumors newbie

No not buying any iPhone's in New York just getting a few bits and pieces (early xmas shopping). I've done the same as you and ordered my iPhones online although I'll try and get some accessories out there as they seem a lot cheaper.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:47 PM   #5
gingerpaul
macrumors newbie

iphone 5 lakeside thurrock

Hi this is new for me, this is going to be the first apple product I am going to go que for as I always got them on contracts, this time i want to buy the iphone 5 outright, any tips welcome I am going to the Apple Store Lakeside Thurrock as I live very near by, aiming to be there between 4 and 5 am, thanks guys.
gingerpaul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:58 PM   #6
slippery
macrumors newbie

Lakeside security will keep you confined in car park 7 I think. You just need to make sure that when they allow you into the car park which is closest to the Burger King entrance you queue up at the wall on the left. Don't worry about what every one else is doing just stick to that wall like glue..! Don't bother accepting raffle tickets from anyone claiming they are organising a queuing system using them, as they will not guarantee your place in the queue. Just get to the front of that wall as quickly as possible and stay there until a bald overweight Lakeside Security Person tells you otherwise..
Hope this info helps....
Good Luck
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:40 PM   #7
gingerpaul
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice looking forward to a battle there, all for one and one for all I say, going at 4 am
gingerpaul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:12 PM   #8
MxNRG
macrumors newbie

As Lee has said make sure that you line up on the left at the Burger King entrance (the side that has the fire exit doors). When you first arrive they will not let you queue at that entrance but send you to the Car Park in the North East corner of the site, try and stay as near to the entrance as you can without pissing off the security guards. If you do get forced to move to the car park, make sure that you do a circuit past the BK entrance every 10-15 minutes. Last year I got caught out by security allowing a queue to form outside the BK entrance while I was oblivious in the car park. If I were going this year I would loiter just far enough away to stop the alarm going off from 05:45 to ensure nobody turning up later jumped the queue (as happened last year).

Unless a security guard says so, anyone claiming to have arranged a queue and giving out tickets with numbers on has no clue that when it all kicks off, those numbers are meaningless... Good luck and do post how it goes down this year!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:06 AM   #9
MxNRG
macrumors newbie

Just been reading the 'Trafford Centre' thread and they had the eminently sensible idea of ringing both the shopping centre and the Apple store to check what the plans are there. Seems the Trafford centre will open it's doors at 05:00 to allow those outside to queue next to the store. Would be interesting to find our if Lakeside have a similar plan...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:17 AM   #10
slippery
macrumors newbie

Good advice Naeem and I have no doubt that had we'd both gone to Lakeside this year we would have nailed that queue system. Still there's always next year...! Lol
I'm told there are people who have been lining up outside the 5th Avenue store since last weekend...!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:55 PM   #11
Tonefiesta
macrumors newbie

Tone and amanda checking in!!!!
Although without amanda this time as the lucky cow has to go to work lol
Slippery mate I'll keep a eye out for Manchild

Anyone that's going, I'm the bloke with the brown hair in a ponytail, if I'm in front of you just come up to me and I'll let you slip in
Tonefiesta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:35 AM   #12
slippery
macrumors newbie

Steady there Tone I wouldn't be making those kinds of offers at 4.00am in a deserted car park at Lakeside you'll get arrested....! lol

Have a great time and don't forget to post some pics of the chaos .

Take care all the best

Lee
slippery is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:38 AM   #13
Tonefiesta
macrumors newbie

Haha ohh err!
Sod it, I'm game
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:22 PM   #14
james1234567
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonefiesta View Post
Haha ohh err!
Sod it, I'm game
Hi Tone

I'm working all night and only getting to Lakeside at 6.30-6.45 - what time are you likely to be there? Any chance of queuing up beside you?

James
james1234567 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:35 PM   #15
kimptoc
macrumors newbie

In the queue now , must be 150+ by burger king
kimptoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:08 AM   #16
Tonefiesta
macrumors newbie

Hay james, just got here right at the back, que is rifght past debenhams!

Pm me your number mate and well see who's infront and meet up lol
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:43 AM   #17
Tonefiesta
macrumors newbie

James sod knows where the pm system is, chuck us a text at blah blah
Hopefully we can get in touch with kimptoc and jump in the front lol

Last edited by Tonefiesta; Sep 21, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:20 AM   #18
MxNRG
macrumors newbie

So what time did the Lakeside staff let people actually queue by the BK entrance. Sounds much busier than last year, good luck guys!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:32 AM   #19
kimptoc
macrumors newbie

No 16gb left and only 1 per person now

Last edited by kimptoc; Sep 21, 2012 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Add
kimptoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:50 PM   #20
Tonefiesta
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxNRG View Post
So what time did the Lakeside staff let people actually queue by the BK entrance. Sounds much busier than last year, good luck guys!
I got there at 5:45 and there was already 1-2000 Asians already queuing up
Same as last year a few ring leaders getting people to get two each then slotting them back in the que to get two more...
Later in the day the apple staff finally clocked on and put a 1 per person limit on!
Proper piss take next year I think I'll put a call out to immigration lol will be in and out within a hour I recon lol

Security made us stay outside in the cold and only let a que of 2-300 inside, but that failed because people were just going in at other entrances and joining the inside que then the ring leaders were going outside getting their other slaves tickets and taking them to the ones that had pushed in up front and ones that had been served and jumped back into the front of the que to be given more tickets
One pissed off tone clocking out!
Tonefiesta is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:38 AM   #21
jamies90
macrumors regular

Tonefiesta, did Lakeside have any Lightning cables or adapters in stock? Thanks
jamies90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:47 AM   #22
marcinski
macrumors newbie

Pissed off!!!

I got there around 6am, joined a line after struggled to park the car! Most of car parks were closed. As above most Asians at the front in big groups. They were easily slotting people back to the queue and no one protested! Some of them were coming back wit 2,3 ever 4 handsets!!! Just to resell them at car park . Yes guys in old BMW!!! I been waiting 5+ hours just to find out that last 32GB card was given to fifth person in from of me when still seeing Asians coming back from the shop with 2 or more handsets! This is really wrong Apple you should sort it out! Really pissed of how they managed the launch!! THIS IS VERY POOR.
marcinski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:01 AM   #23
MxNRG
macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear about the fiasco, sounds worse than last year from a final outcome point of view. Lakeside are total crap at managing and the Apple Store managers have a very hands-off approach. It would not have taken many Apple staff being on the ball to spot what was going one. If I had experienced this I'd be sending some serious geedback to both the Apple Store and Lakeside management that they have let genuine customers down.

Pre-order is theway forward but queuing at a store that is not in a mall is what I would do if I missed out on pre-orders.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:08 AM   #24
rmwebs
Banned

Sounds a bit like the crapstorm at Watford.

Asked the shopping center last night if they would open the building early for Apple iPhone queueing - they said no. So I turn up at 8am (1 hour before the doors of the shopping center open) to find that they were open since 5am, with a queue at the Apple Store - not giving out any queue tickets and told to leave the queue.

Absolue bollocks.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:18 PM   #25
Tonefiesta
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies90 View Post
Tonefiesta, did Lakeside have any Lightning cables or adapters in stock? Thanks
Sorry james90 I didn't stick around to look, one of the apple staff made the mistake of asking if I had been queuing long.... Now I'm normaly quiet and easy going lol but I think the poor guy needed a fag after I had left

When we was outside queuing we reached the doors and security said "right 20 more please" now the line went from a tidy ish line to a mass of Asians trying to get in first (just to clear this up I'm not at all racist lol) I had 2 of them shove me out the way to get in before me, i saw red and immediately shoved back one and the second I grabbed his shoulder and pulled him back behind me, then the second one kept nudging me from behind talking very loudly in his own language, he nudged a few more times so I turned around and politely told him if he done it one more time I would smash his face in, he was good as gold after that lol

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups