Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amyangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
http://www.pbn.com/SafeRa1n-Team-Ne...S3Gs-iOS-6-SafeRa1n-Untethered-Software,71213

Was just browsing and found a few news releases from other sites that its available now untethered but i've never heard of paying for a jailbreak.

legit or fake?

i've only heard iOS6 is jailbroken and cydia installed but that it was still a bit before any official releases and that its only tethered at the moment.

any thoughts?

amyangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
ok thanks guys :) gonna avoid them
I think i was too anxious to have a jb already and thought maybe it was legit.
I appreciate your input

bAdNitro

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Swoyersville, PA
ok thanks guys :) gonna avoid them
I think i was too anxious to have a jb already and thought maybe it was legit.
I appreciate your input

You will NEVER have to pay for a legitimate jailbreak. Don't fall for these scams.

My sister never listened to me...She "bought" a jailbreak for 5.1.1 and all it was was a list of readily available information. The "program" it downloaded failed to recognize any iDevice connected to it and then said "Click here for other methods" and all it was was a list saying what programs (redsn0w, absinthe, etc) work for her device. She said it was weird that they could recommend programs for her device but the program cant JB it.

I laughed at her for wasting her money.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
You will NEVER have to pay for a legitimate jailbreak.

I never got why people say this. While we have never had a paid jailbreak before, there's no reason why we couldn't see one in the future. It all depends on who does the jailbreaking. There could very easily be a new hacker on the scene that produces a completely original and legitimate jailbreak and chooses to charge for it.

That being said, I agree that the most likely case for a paid jailbreak is that it's a scam and should of course be held to high scrutiny. I just think it's disengenuous to proclaim that there will never be a paid jailbreak.

bAdNitro

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Swoyersville, PA
I never got why people say this. While we have never had a paid jailbreak before, there's no reason why we couldn't see one in the future. It all depends on who does the jailbreaking. There could very easily be a new hacker on the scene that produces a completely original and legitimate jailbreak and chooses to charge for it.

That being said, I agree that the most likely case for a paid jailbreak is that it's a scam and should of course be held to high scrutiny. I just think it's disengenuous to proclaim that there will never be a paid jailbreak.

The odds of the dev teams making a paid jailbreak are completely slim, if any. And we're talking less than 1%. They have said many times that they do this in their spare time, for free. That's not going to change any time soon. If a paid jailbreak emerges from them, I'll take those words back.

This "new hacker" that charges for his jailbreak will have just about 0 sales considering the dev teams will be releasing the same jailbreak for free.

Last edited:

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
The odds of the dev teams making a paid jailbreak are completely slim, if any. And we're talking less than 1%. They have said many times that they do this in their spare time, for free. That's not going to change any time soon. If a paid jailbreak emerges from them, I'll take those words back.

This "new hacker" that charges for his jailbreak will have just about 0 sales considering the dev teams will be releasing the same jailbreak for free.

Oh I agree. The current dev teams wouldn't charge for it, but they're not the only people in the world that have the ability to create a jailbreak. I think you're underestimating the sheer number of people in the world. There are millions of talented programmers out there. 99% of them have never even attempted to find an exploit in iOS. If the right demand appears or circumstances change, there could be lots of different people who produce legitimate jailbreaks.

Remember, the first step in any jailbreak is finding an exploit in the OS. The dev team is certainly the most experienced at it but that doesn't preclude someone else getting lucky. There's no reason why some random hacker couldn't stumble across a zero-day exploit weeks or months before the dev team manages to find one, and subsequently gets to release a jailbreak with no competition. In that case, I think the lucky hacker would make a huge sum of money as soon as word gets around that it's a legitimate paid jailbreak. I'd wager that even most people here would pay a modest sum to get the jb early.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Oh I agree. The current dev teams wouldn't charge for it, but they're not the only people in the world that have the ability to create a jailbreak. I think you're underestimating the sheer number of people in the world. There are millions of talented programmers out there. 99% of them have never even attempted to find an exploit in iOS. If the right demand appears or circumstances change, there could be lots of different people who produce legitimate jailbreaks.

Remember, the first step in any jailbreak is finding an exploit in the OS. The dev team is certainly the most experienced at it but that doesn't preclude someone else getting lucky. There's no reason why some random hacker couldn't stumble across a zero-day exploit weeks or months before the dev team manages to find one, and subsequently gets to release a jailbreak with no competition. In that case, I think the lucky hacker would make a huge sum of money as soon as word gets around that it's a legitimate paid jailbreak. I'd wager that even most people here would pay a modest sum to get the jb early.

I pretty much agree. The cool thing about ios hackers is that if some newcomer created a jailbreak the first thing the dev teams would do is check to see if it's legit. If it is, they would publicly state so and not lie about it. I would certainly pay for a jailbreak if a hacker charged for it. Heck, I already donate money whenever a new jailbreak is released. I would have no problem paying for this service. Having said that, the second someone sells a jailbreak and it hits the Internet, 90% of jailbreakers will just download it illegally lol.

localboy28

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
There's nothing to stop a hacker finding an exploit and releasing it for money himself, that'll go down well. One person will buy it and within seconds it'll be on the net available for free.

bAdNitro

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Swoyersville, PA

Oh I completely agree about that. I was assuming you were talking about the current devs starting to charge for their work when thy haven't for the last 5 years.

There's absolutely a chance that someone can find an exploit worthy of inducing a jailbreak. The only problem is it's not just an exploit. Pod2g had the exploit for 5.1.1 quite a while before the jailbreak because he had to break through the other security measures to inject the code.

That being said, I doubt that some random programmer would ever stumble upon an exploit, and way to get through several other blockades without actually trying to do so lol. Although, if someone actually looks for the necessary exploits and hacks and creates a jailbreak, yes, that person absolutely has the right to sell such an exploit if he/she so chooses. And yes, a lot of people would buy it. Personally, I wouldn't be one of them at all because I know the dev teams put a lot more research and QA to make sure our devices are safe during the process. They also make STABLE jailbreaks, which is the most important thing lol. Which is why I would wait for a release from them and then donate for the stable version.

Also, I don't want you to thing I have a problem with anything you're saying. Everything you've mentioned is possible, just not probable lol.:p

----------

I pretty much agree. The cool thing about ios hackers is that if some newcomer created a jailbreak the first thing the dev teams would do is check to see if it's legit. If it is, they would publicly state so and not lie about it. I would certainly pay for a jailbreak if a hacker charged for it. Heck, I already donate money whenever a new jailbreak is released. I would have no problem paying for this service. Having said that, the second someone sells a jailbreak and it hits the Internet, 90% of jailbreakers will just download it illegally lol.

Completely agree. I have donated for every single jailbreak since the iphone 3G. All I was pointing out was you'll never NEED to pay for a jailbreak. And that just backs up your last sentence lol. If anything was ever charged, there's always that one guy who will release it for free :p

iamjamieq

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Guy steals chpwn's image and builds a whole site around it. Looks professional enough to scam a few dozen people I'm sure. I hate these people. I'm curious what happens when it doesn't work, what kind of excuse you end up getting.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
So no one here have fall for it or know someone who has? I'm curious since their add has been active for quite some time.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
There's nothing to stop a hacker finding an exploit and releasing it for money himself, that'll go down well. One person will buy it and within seconds it'll be on the net available for free.

Maybe not. In the past, there was software called JAF WM. It was tightly controlled who got copies, was dongle protected, and it was sold to people so they could unlock/modify phones at a street booth. In some cases, it could even change IMEI numbers (which was important in Turkey because that country only allows phones sold there to work on its cellular networks.)

I can see that happening with iPhones, where some enterprising group sells software to resellers who offer a JB for $25-50, and the user hands over their phone, the reseller plugs it into a box or laptop, the software does the dirty work, and the end customer has a jailbroken phone. Yes, someone will find a crack for it, but if the software is updated to keep with iOS levels, it might be a successful market.

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
You will NEVER have to pay for a legitimate jailbreak. Don't fall for these scams.

My sister never listened to me...She "bought" a jailbreak for 5.1.1 and all it was was a list of readily available information. The "program" it downloaded failed to recognize any iDevice connected to it and then said "Click here for other methods" and all it was was a list saying what programs (redsn0w, absinthe, etc) work for her device. She said it was weird that they could recommend programs for her device but the program cant JB it.

I laughed at her for wasting her money.

This is what keeps the jailbreak of a new phone in the 4.5-6 mo range....

I wish a company is formed between all the hackers and the jailbreak is sold... that is incentive enough for them to work together and have a JOB. I'd pay $30-$50 for a jailbreak...

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Fake

This is not fake, but not ios6

269215.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.