Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weidmark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Hi,

I generally don't worry about the small things when it comes to iOS devices. But the volume button on my iPhone 5 seems pretty loose. Makes a sort of rattling noise when touched. Doesn't bother me too much, just worried about it not working well in the near future. Would this warrant an exchange at apple?

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
My volume buttons and the sleep/wake button are all loose on my phone. It doesn't really bother me that much, as my sleep/wake button on my 4S was the same way (volume buttons were solid, though).

weidmark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Ok. Great thanks for the replies. Don't have to worry about it anymore

chakdey

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
my sleep/power button is like that, nice to know its normal and that my phone isnt messed up.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
If it is any consolation, that rattle or loose volume button was the FIRST thing I noticed when I unboxed my iPhone... and I'm not overly compulsive about scuffs and rattles.

But then in 3 days of using the iPhone, the rattle is nearly gone... not sure why.

vickytor

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Just noticed the same here. Doesn't bother me too much, but just hope it doesn't affect the function later on. I have a Black 16GB; does everyone experiencing this have Black models, too?

I asked my friend who has a White one, and he says he has no problems so far; his is newer, though.

Adam22

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
The - volume button on mine rattles a lil bit and if I put my thumb on it I hear a little click noise when I do the same on the + button nothing . The + is really solid ..... I have black 32gb. But they both work if I press them . Just feels weird or as if the - button goes in deeper than the +

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
You sure its not the camera lens rattle? Hold all three buttons and shake your phone a little, you should hear a rattle that would suggest its not your buttons.

I think the camera lens is normal but its annoying (i have ocd about things like that!)

Adam22

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
You sure its not the camera lens rattle? Hold all three buttons and shake your phone a little, you should hear a rattle that would suggest its not your buttons.

I think the camera lens is normal but its annoying (i have ocd about things like that!)

R u talking to me? If you are I didn't necessarily mean it rattles but its loose (- vol. button) more than the + button and like I said when I place my thumb on it with our pressing them the - button clicks or makes a clik noise I should say unlike the + button when I place the thumb on that one nothing because its really tight ..... Now they both work if I press them

Zeusus

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I think that the manufacturing process is different and design implementation is much different. The metallic buttons "hover" over the actual circuitry buttons. Because of this, there is a slight play. It is completely normal.

If you look at ANY electronic, there is a play in the button. There has to be. If it was an "exact fit" the button wouldn't move and would be "locked and wedged" into the slot cut out for it.

I think it is slightly more noticeable on the iPhone 5 construction simply because of the aluminum casing. A very similar sort of aluminum alloy is used in the casting of tuning forks for a reason. It has high resonance and therefore audible. The beauty of it is the light and sleek form factor.

I agree that it is annoying that it resonates when the phone vibrates, but I don't think it is fixable in the sense that there is nothing wrong with it. It is a combination of a stronger vibration motor, with the resonant qualities of the alloy. The iPhone 4S has a weaker vibration motor and enough glass that any "play" in the buttons is muffled.

This is normal behaviour from electronics and I think it is too much to expect "perfection" as defined by thousands of users....

Just my $0.02

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
My volume up/down buttons rattle, but it's nothing for me to take concern over. My lock button does not rattle though

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I checked it, did a shake test and it's the power button that is rattling a bit. It effects all iphone 5's. Its very slight so Its not a problem.

Slos

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
I cannot believe what I read. Why does nobody think of this is a big deal? My volume buttons loosened up a couple of weeks ago. They were perfectly snug and sturdy when I bought the phone. I find this completely ridiculous! I pay $600+ for what is in essence a 'phone' (with a mega good screen) and after a while it feels in my hand like a cheap 'made in China' plastic toy. Seriously, wtf?! That is not the kind of build quality Apple should go for! Standards are going down @ Apple, and I am not even mentioning the software division. OMG, what is happening there, iPhoto 9.4.2 - nice but there are some proper bugs in there which make it a questionable release candidate, even! iTunes, one month delay..... serious question marks here guys??

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Hi,

I generally don't worry about the small things when it comes to iOS devices. But the volume button on my iPhone 5 seems pretty loose. Makes a sort of rattling noise when touched. Doesn't bother me too much, just worried about it not working well in the near future. Would this warrant an exchange at apple?

I guess it depends just how loose it is. The lock button on the iPhone 5 I have now is a tad loose and rattles when the phone is shaken, but I don't care about that. It's like the slight camera rattle necessary for the auto-focus, it affects most iPhone models and most people experience it at some point. I'm personally more annoyed by the watermark on the anodized aluminum back, purple hue most of my photos tend to have, and the decent sized gap that exists to the left of my rear camera lens, as it appears the hole is larger than it should be for the lens/lens ring assembly. Just shoddy manufacturing. Other than that, I love the phone. It's just too bad these issues tend to keep coming up. Some people are more inclined to noticing these types of things, but that doesn't necessarily make you OCD. It really just means you're more aware.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
My volume button was loose too (first replacement because of a dead pixel in the camera) and I went back and got another replacement. Second one's fine.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
I'm having the same problem with my 5 but It doesn't bother me at all :rolleyes: Use your phone and be happy :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.