Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I called and got mine refunded earlier today. The customer service person was very polite and I managed to get an instant approval for the refund.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Mine does not show as a credit. The agent told me they "waived" the fee. We'll see on the 7th of October when my next bill shows up.

jerrahh

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
just chatted with them online, said i didnt see the fee when i was upgrading online, she said no problem and took it right off.

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Which chat are you guys using to accomplish this? I just tried the billing chat and the guy is stonewalling me...

glowe84

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
I think premier customers have to call, the chat option isn't available to me either.

mallom

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I think it worked. :D

Darcie Gray: Hello Miss Soares, thank you for chatting with AT&T today. I can help you with upgrade fee.

Flavia Soares: Good morning. I recently signed a 2 year contract extension and upgraded to a new iPhone. I was hoping I could have my upgrade fee waived or credited to my account.

Darcie Gray: I can do a one time waive of this fee. The upgrade fee is to allow us to assist customers with recommending new equipment, offering special offers and discounts, providing assistance with the upgrade process if needed, and supporting the returns process within 30 days. These specialized processes help us to ensure you are satisfied with your new equipment, and are ready to use it the day you receive it. The upgrade fee allows us to defray some of these additional service costs.

Darcie Gray: Done! I have done the one time waive on this fee and explained why this fee is there. Is there anything else I can help a valued customer of AT&T with today?

Flavia Soares: Thank you very much.

kylu

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
long time lurker, just sign up to give thanks to the OP.
how long until the credits shows on my account? :confused: i forgot to ask the rep...

jayiw

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
I too just got my upgrade fee waived. Thanks OP.
Tried Billing chat last night, no go, they told me to call sales. Tried sales, and they would not give me anything. I pay on time, have been customer for 8+ years, and have two lines with them. Tried Billing chat again and:

Jay : Yes Hi, I would like to upgrade to the Iphone 5 however the early upgrade fee is an additional $250. Friends of mine have had that fee credited to their account. I would like the same thing please. I have been loyal AT&T customer for years

Samantha Sharpe: I understand you are looking to perform an early upgrade and have the $250 fee waived, correct>

Samantha Sharpe: ?*

Jay : correct, either waived or credited to my account once I purchase the iphone 5

Samantha Sharpe: I do see you have been with us since 2004 and we do appreciate your business. You have reached the billing chat. I can provide you the number to contact sales whom I am sure would be happy to assist you with this request.

Jay : Friends of mine have used this chat to get the credit which is why I am using it now

Samantha Sharpe: I can assure you we cannot handle upgrades or the pricing involved and we do not have a sales chat to process upgrades.

Samantha Sharpe: I can assure you if we did I would love to credit the fee for you.

Samantha Sharpe: Our sales department can be reached at 1-800-331-0500, Mon-Fri 7am-10pm, Sat-Sun 9am-7pm. I can send you a text message with this number so you have it available for you.

Samantha Sharpe: Do you have any billing questions I can assist you with today Mr. ...?

Jay : Ok please see this:

Jay : Darcie Gray: Hello Miss Soares, thank you for chatting with AT&T today. I can help you with upgrade fee. Flavia Soares: Good morning. I recently signed a 2 year contract extension and upgraded to a new iPhone. I was hoping I could have my upgrade fee waived or credited to my account. Darcie Gray: I can do a one time waive of this fee. The upgrade fee is to allow us to assist customers with recommending new equipment, offering special offers and discounts, providing assistance with the upgrade process if needed, and supporting the returns process within 30 days. These specialized processes help us to ensure you are satisfied with your new equipment, and are ready to use it the day you receive it. The upgrade fee allows us to defray some of these additional service costs. Darcie Gray: Done! I have done the one time waive on this fee and explained why this fee is there. Is there anything else I can help a valued customer of AT&T with today? Flavia Soares: Thank you very much. __________________

Jay : "Darcie Gray: I can do a one time waive of this fee."

Samantha Sharpe: I do apologize Mr. ...., we do not offer a chat that can agree to waive this for you.

Samantha Sharpe: I can assure you if we did we would be happy to credit it due to your tenure.

tikitommy

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Is it possible to request the waiver before you order or do you have to pull the trigger and order and then request?

Fireguyy

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2009
Worked for me!

Thanks OP! I asked nicely if they could be removed cause I did not buy in an AT&T store and they agreed to waive.

Aubrey Richer: Hello Mr. ******. Thank you for chatting in with AT&T. I understand you were looking to possibly get an upgrade fee waived?

*** ******: Yes if that's possible it would be excellent

Aubrey Richer: I will review your account and see what we can do.

*** ******: Ok, thank you.

Aubrey Richer: Since you have been a good customer for quite sometime I have been given approval to waive your activation fees.

devonxo

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Was able to successfully get my $36 activation fee waived via the support chat. Thanks all!

MemphisDave

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks for the Posting! You saved me $36+tax ~ $40! My new balance is back to $100 bucks. It was easy, but they did ask for my mobile number and last four digitals of my Social. no problems or anything, but i didn't see these questions asked in the post before mine.

In the link above, the live chat was unavailable. I had to log in like i was paying my bill and i found live chat in my billing section.

Thanks again for saving me $40!!! Now I use put the saved $40 toward a car charger or Case!
MemphisDave

Edit: I discovered why my bill was $100, not $90-95 after tax. International texting to a Canadian friend. My monthly bill should be $95, not $100 as i mentioned above.

Last edited:

mallom

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Tried Billing chat last night, no go, they told me to call sales. Tried sales, and they would not give me anything. I pay on time, have been customer for 8+ years, and have two lines with them. Tried Billing chat again and:

Jay : Yes Hi, I would like to upgrade to the Iphone 5 however the early upgrade fee is an additional $250. Friends of mine have had that fee credited to their account. I would like the same thing please. I have been loyal AT&T customer for years

Samantha Sharpe: I understand you are looking to perform an early upgrade and have the $250 fee waived, correct>

Samantha Sharpe: ?*

Jay : correct, either waived or credited to my account once I purchase the iphone 5

Samantha Sharpe: I do see you have been with us since 2004 and we do appreciate your business. You have reached the billing chat. I can provide you the number to contact sales whom I am sure would be happy to assist you with this request.

Jay : Friends of mine have used this chat to get the credit which is why I am using it now

Samantha Sharpe: I can assure you we cannot handle upgrades or the pricing involved and we do not have a sales chat to process upgrades.

Samantha Sharpe: I can assure you if we did I would love to credit the fee for you.

Samantha Sharpe: Our sales department can be reached at 1-800-331-0500, Mon-Fri 7am-10pm, Sat-Sun 9am-7pm. I can send you a text message with this number so you have it available for you.

Samantha Sharpe: Do you have any billing questions I can assist you with today Mr. ...?

Jay : Ok please see this:

Jay : Darcie Gray: Hello Miss Soares, thank you for chatting with AT&T today. I can help you with upgrade fee. Flavia Soares: Good morning. I recently signed a 2 year contract extension and upgraded to a new iPhone. I was hoping I could have my upgrade fee waived or credited to my account. Darcie Gray: I can do a one time waive of this fee. The upgrade fee is to allow us to assist customers with recommending new equipment, offering special offers and discounts, providing assistance with the upgrade process if needed, and supporting the returns process within 30 days. These specialized processes help us to ensure you are satisfied with your new equipment, and are ready to use it the day you receive it. The upgrade fee allows us to defray some of these additional service costs. Darcie Gray: Done! I have done the one time waive on this fee and explained why this fee is there. Is there anything else I can help a valued customer of AT&T with today? Flavia Soares: Thank you very much. __________________

Jay : "Darcie Gray: I can do a one time waive of this fee."

Samantha Sharpe: I do apologize Mr. ...., we do not offer a chat that can agree to waive this for you.

Samantha Sharpe: I can assure you if we did we would be happy to credit it due to your tenure.

Thanks for using my wife's real name. :mad:

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
3 minutes in the chat window, and here is the response:

"Andrew Starr: I have removed this fee from your current bill. The credit today will be 41.62 tax included and can be viewed online in the next 2-4 hours."

Thanks OP!

rdavis41

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
I just got on the Chat for billing and it has worked as well. They have credited my account for the charge! Nice work OP, Thanks.:D

Phanatical

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
My first time using the chat window, I was blatantly told that all of my friends must have lied when they said they got their fees waived. When I told him I had the chat logs as proof and gave him AT&T rep names, he simply refused to respond any longer.

I tried again, and said the same thing (and just as politely): that I had really been blindsided by the $60 in fees - the $36 upgrade fee, and the almost $30 in taxes and surcharges related to that fee. In under three minutes I was credited $94 for all the fees and surcharges they randomly applied.

If at first you don't succeed, keep trying. The first time I obviously got a very bitter employee who repeatedly called me a liar and basically told me tough luck, "if you want the fee waived, cancel your new phone."

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Will this work if you haven't bought the phone yet? Does the $250 get credited to the account or the phone line itself?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.