Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BazookaJoeX9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
This is my first iPhone and overall I'm really enjoying it. Though yesterday my phone went into "headphone mode." I have never used a pair of headphones with it yet.
I looked up the problem and tried plugging in headphones a couple of times. Turned Bluetooth on and off a few times. Blew into the headphone jack. Restarted the phone. Backed up the phone and factory reset it. Nothing. I don't see anything in the headphone jack like dust or lint.

Any else having this problem? Should I take it to the Apple store?

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
This is my first iPhone and overall I'm really enjoying it. Though yesterday my phone went into "headphone mode." I have never used a pair of headphones with it yet.
I looked up the problem and tried plugging in headphones a couple of times. Turned Bluetooth on and off a few times. Blew into the headphone jack. Restarted the phone. Backed up the phone and factory reset it. Nothing. I don't see anything in the headphone jack like dust or lint.

Any else having this problem? Should I take it to the Apple store?

This happened to me once on an older model. Try rebooting the phone and see if that fixes it (this fixed it for me). If it recurs you're probably looking at a trip to the Apple store.

BazookaJoeX9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Looks like I'm heading to the Apple Store.

Would it be weird to expect something free like a iTunes gift card if they can't fix it? Closest one is 45 min to me.

ethicka

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
New Jersey
My earpiece never worked when I got my iPhone last Friday. Went to the Apple Store yesterday and they gave me a replacement on the spot. Mine, at least, was faulty hardware.

BazookaJoeX9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
My earpiece never worked when I got my iPhone last Friday. Went to the Apple Store yesterday and they gave me a replacement on the spot. Mine, at least, was faulty hardware.

Was this an iPhone 5? I'm worried if I need a replacement the Apple store will be out.

toekneeg

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Orlando, FL
Blow out the headphone jack with some high air pressure. You may have gotten water in it and is still messed up. Blow it out and if that doesn't work go get a replacement.

Komodo-jb2

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I have problems with my new iPhone 5 headphone jack as well, I am getting a lot of "clicks" like its not making good contact or the the jack is messed up also the controls on the headphones won't function, apple is replacing it with a new phone just wondering if anyone else experienced this problem

mcintron79

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
New iphone 5 headphone jack issues too..

I just got my iphone in the mail yesterday and I turned it on. After setting it up and restoring from icloud I started to play with the phone. I noticed that I couldnt hear Suri --odd? :confused:
It took a while to realize that the phone was stuck in "headset mode" and I handn't even tried the new headphones that it came with. I went on a few forums to see if I could resolve the issue and tried all the tricks but had no luck. I am wondering now if maybe a handful of phones have this same problem?
Please let me know what apple tells you.

Thanks!

zeebagpuss

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
Blow out the headphone jack with some high air pressure. You may have gotten water in it and is still messed up. Blow it out and if that doesn't work go get a replacement.

many thanx for that... I slipped in the snow whilst on my phone and dropped it in a pile of snow.. had this problem since i got home

thanks again :D

yellowphone

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2014
Toilet Dunk

Posting as yellow phone because I reached this forum when my iPhone 5 slipped off my belt in its leather case and into the toilet during 'zip up'.
VERY quick recovery, out of belt case and into towel. All electronics live but stuck in headphone mode. Came here, learned to try air blast but not enough.
Cure - a 1.5 inch by 2 inch piece of "Kleenex" rolled up between finger and thumb to approximate diameter of headphone jack.
Insert into jack and twirl. Repeated 3-4 times with fresh dry pieces of Kleenex.
Works fine now.
Also, rinsed case quickly in warm water, patted dry and put in 'frost-free' fridge for about 4 hours. OK now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Posting as yellow phone because I reached this forum when my iPhone 5 slipped off my belt in its leather case and into the toilet during 'zip up'.
VERY quick recovery, out of belt case and into towel. All electronics live but stuck in headphone mode. Came here, learned to try air blast but not enough.
Cure - a 1.5 inch by 2 inch piece of "Kleenex" rolled up between finger and thumb to approximate diameter of headphone jack.
Insert into jack and twirl. Repeated 3-4 times with fresh dry pieces of Kleenex.
Works fine now.
Also, rinsed case quickly in warm water, patted dry and put in 'frost-free' fridge for about 4 hours. OK now.
Generally at least a few days in a bag of uncooked rice (with the phone powered off) would be a better idea for most.

robwilliams14

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2014
After noticing this problem this evening and not being able to concentrate on ANYTHING until I had done everything possible to fix it I stumbled upon a few sites that recommended the various methods discussed...

After trying these for about half an hour to no avail, a piece of lint/crap eventually came out after twizzling a piece of toilet paper in the audio plug for the 20th time!

I got lucky but it worked!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.