Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I put in a reservation since it now is open but do they notify you if there are none in stock?

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I put in a reservation since it now is open but do they notify you if there are none in stock?

In the UK if you reserve online for store pick up, you get an email that day letting you know if you have been successful. No email, no reservation!

Sirch

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2007
This may be a stupid question, but how do you place a reservation online to pick up in store. I can't figure it out.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I have just spoken to a rep and he told me that the reservation only lasts one day.
The computer looks at the amount of phones in stock and then sends out emails for those that reserved one so no email then no phone.
I will just order online and wait.

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
I always wondered if they choose the recipents at random or do they go in the order the reservations where made?! :D

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Is this the online reservation and you pick up at the store? Do you have the link? I can't seem to find it.

thirtytwopaths

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
US Personal Pickup

I was at the Apple Store this morning and was told that in the US they will be allowing Personal Pickups for the iPhone 5 starting at 10pm tonight. Apparently you can buy it online, they will show which stores have inventory, and you pick it up the next day.

Anyone else hearing this? The manager said all shipments coming in today were being held for these pickups tomorrow.

cameronfree

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
iPhone 5 Reservation

I heard the same information (Reservations start in the US tonight at 10:00pm)

However, I did not hear that today's shipments were being specifically reserved for tomorrow, but that would be fine with me!

allonym

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
In the UK, I put in a reservation at 9:00 am yesterday (the time the system becomes active). Got an email at 7ish last night saying I could pick up between 10 am and 5 pm today, which I'm currently doing :)

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
In the UK, I put in a reservation at 9:00 am yesterday (the time the system becomes active). Got an email at 7ish last night saying I could pick up between 10 am and 5 pm today, which I'm currently doing :)

What spec of phone did you order?

lamenramen

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
It appears to me that you have to sign a new contract in order to reserve online. If you're willing to pay full price you are out of luck with the reserve/pickup system. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am not signing another contract ever again, and buying it outright is the most cost-effective manuever over 2 years for my usage pattern. I'll be saving $580 going with T-mobile. People think I'm a bit bonkers for paying so much for a phone, but I trust my math.

Millionin20s

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
Spoke with an Apple store employee just 5 minutes ago, personal pickup starts at 10 pm tonight. (America, to be clear.) They update the store sites as they get stock, we play the waiting game and hope to reserve a phone for pickup the next day.

Anyone else breaking the refresh button at 10:00:01 pm?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I was at the Apple Store this morning and was told that in the US they will be allowing Personal Pickups for the iPhone 5 starting at 10pm tonight. Apparently you can buy it online, they will show which stores have inventory, and you pick it up the next day.

Anyone else hearing this? The manager said all shipments coming in today were being held for these pickups tomorrow.

Interesting. Officially the site still says that it is first-come, first-served.

http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/

However, they also did this last year after the initial weekend (except it started at 9pm). In general, the phones were "out of stock" within 5 minutes. You had until 6:00pm the next day to pick it up. You still had to wait in line, but before 6:00pm the only people they let in line were those with reservation slips. At 6:00pm they opened up the line to walk-ins.

phil83

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Washington, DC

I heard the same thing but wasn't sure if the apple associate knew what they were talking about since I hadn't heard of this before.

I'll be refreshing at 10pm eastern and then again at 10pm pacific time (that will make it a long night).

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I heard the same thing but wasn't sure if the apple associate knew what they were talking about since I hadn't heard of this before.

I'll be refreshing at 10pm eastern and then again at 10pm pacific time (that will make it a long night).

Do you know someone who could pick it up in a store in those other time zones?

----------

I see Apple Insider and 9to5Mac are reporting it

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/24/apple-retail-scheduled-to-launch-personal-pickup-for-iphone-5-tonight/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...phone_5_retail_personal_pickups_in_us_tonight

Apparently you will be charged for the purchase at the time of reservation and can pick it up at your leisure the next day. If so, that would be different from how they did it last year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.