Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Siri is delivering incorrect weather results for a number of city names that exist in multiple states, as noticed by posters on the MacRumors Forums. The most glaring example is viewable by asking for weather conditions in New York, New York -- Siri returns results for New York, Texas instead, where the weather is considerably warmer than in the Big Apple.

siriweather.jpg

For users who live in New York, NY, asking for weather in "my area" doesn't seem to help either, and only by specifically using their zip code can they get accurate weather. However, it's not just New York that is running into issues. Another user lives in Richmond, Virginia but Siri is delivering weather for New Richmond, Ohio. Weather requests for Carrollton, Texas are showing up as Carrollton, Indiana. Asking for weather in St. Louis, Missouri gives weather in St. Louis, Georgia.

A number of threads on Apple's official support forums also report problems, with no apparent resolution. The issue appears to be on Siri's end, and cannot be fixed by the user. We have reached out to Apple for more information.

Article Link: Siri Delivering Incorrect Weather Forecasts For Common City Names

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
I really like the Weather App UI on the iPhone 5. No reason why it can't be on the iPhone 4S.

If anything horizontal scrolling of further daily details should be default on the 4S and not the 5 since it has a shorter display.

teco221

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
Funny, I can only make Siri to show New York City, each time I asked "New York". so I added Texas in the end but still showed me New York City.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
I know those of us that frequent forums see a lot of reported problems that most consumers won't know/won't care about, but there seems to be a lot of problems with some of Apple's newly released stuff. I hope they get it figured out.

xodiak

Jun 14, 2011
Besides maps is anyone having issues with other aspects of 6.0, such as texting? It’s become a pain for me lately with the spell correct even though I'm spelling something properly. It refused to allow me to type ill, and kept insisting on I'll. Mandatory kept correcting as man story. Very irritating, is it just mine is there a setting I need changing? All I know is its gotten worse since I went to 6.0.

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2012
that's been happening to me since june or something on ios 5

Last edited:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Is there a reason why I (in the UK) seemingly get a different (and what looks like a 'less polished') weather image result from Siri?!

(iPhone 5)

OneNature

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Besides maps is anyone having issues with other aspects of 6.0, such as texting? It’s become a pain for me lately with the spell correct even though I'm spelling something properly. It refused to allow me to type ill, and kept insisting on I'll. Mandatory kept correcting as man story. Very irritating, is it just mine is there a setting I need changing? All I know is its gotten worse since I went to 6.0.

I tried your examples on my new iPad running 6.0 and iMessage lets me type in 'Mandatory' without correcting it and although it suggested 'I'll' when I started to type 'III' it did not override my entries. You can also click on the 'x' next to the suggested word from iMessage to make it disappear. :)

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
When I ask, "What will the weather be like tomorrow?" she gives me the forecast for Toronto, even though I'm in Vancouver. Does this happen to any other Canadians?

iguigy

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2009
Is there a reason why I (in the UK) seemingly get a different (and what looks like a 'less polished') weather image result from Siri?!

(iPhone 5)

You asked for today's weather. You get the same as OP if you ask for this week's weather.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
B.
E.
T.
A.

but maps isnt, go and fix it

A.
S.
A.
P.

The "beta" excuse does not fly at all. They advertised this so much last year and it's not a "beta". The "beta" is just a cover.

Betas shouldn't be released to the public in this fashion.

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Siri has been useless for me lately. Just times out or takes forever to tell me the wrong answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.