Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

icloud_icon_text.jpg

In a high-profile case last month, a hacker was able to gain access to Wired reporter Mat Honan's iCloud, Gmail, Twitter, and Amazon accounts, taking control of much of Honan's digital life and remote wiping his iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Air. Honan later detailed how the hack was accomplished through social engineering by entering the system through weaknesses in Amazon's account security and then using credit card information stored there to gain access to Honan's iCloud account.

Following the incident, Apple temporarily halted over-the-phone iCloud password resets, which had required only the user's billing address and the last four digits of the credit card on file with the account. Apple has since rolled out new authentication for password resets, including a requirement that users provide two correct responses to a small group of challenges that includes user-set security questions, more detailed credit card information, and device confirmations via either serial number or pushed Find My iPhone verification codes.

We've heard from several Apple support employees who have noted that their abilities to help customers have been severely restricted as part of the effort to tighten up security, with staff only able to send password resets to email addresses on file with the account. Employees are no longer permitted to send password resets to arbitrary email addresses and can no longer set temporary passwords on accounts to enter troubleshooting mode during support calls.

icloud_backup_and_restore.jpg

One employee we spoke with has detailed a tremendous influx in support calls with the release of iPhone 5, as customers looking to restore iCloud backups of their old phones onto their new phones are in some cases having difficulty remembering their passwords. Support calls are said to be up on the order of tenfold over the past week or so surrounding the iOS 6 and iPhone 5 launches.
I know what you are thinking. The rightful person that owns the Apple ID should have no problem doing enough of that to be able to verify their ID and be able to then reset their password or security questions or unlock their account. And you would be wrong in thinking that.
This employee has emphasized that if users can not confirm their identities within the new framework of authentication challenges, there is nothing Apple support staff can do to help them and they will be frozen out of their iCloud accounts. For this reason, the employee notes that users are strongly encouraged to know the exact answers to their security questions, make sure a proper credit card is associated with the account, and set up Find My iPhone/iPad/iPod, maximizing their chances of being able to regain access to their accounts should their passwords be lost.

Finally, this employee has cautioned users about both changing their password and resetting their security questions at the same time, particularly if they do not have a credit card on file with the account. In that instance, if the user is unable to get into their account with the reset password, the deleted security questions and the lack of a credit card will essentially make it impossible for Apple support to verify their identity and regain access to the account.

Article Link: Apple Flooded with iCloud Password Reset Requests Amid Tightened Account Security Controls

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
A woman that I help with her Mac had to get her password reset. She called me and I wasn't able to help her. I directed her to Apple to get her password mess straightened out -- it took over 7 days to get everything done. :eek: Apple is going hyper-paranoid (with good reason) about password resets.

MetalMoon

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
San Jose
Note to self: Use different passwords for each account and don't forget them! Resetting forgotten passwords can be a pain.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Last pass has me sorted. I'm slowly learning many of the generated passwords by using them regularly too.

Such a shame to see people stuck like this but due to the constant media scrutiny towards Apple, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Rule 1 - Always back up to your computer (especially prior to activating a new phone or restoring your existing one)
Rule 2 - Always have logged into iCloud once via Safari on your Mac, then your password is saved in "Keychain Access".

TEG

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I would hate to be an Apple employee working the phones right now. I just can't imagine how many stupid people must be calling. I know Mac users have been shown to have higher IQs, but I'm sure it's the opposite with iPhone users.

gimliwon

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
Worked for Apple for four years in the retail environment, and I can tell you, 2/3 of the customers did NOT know their Apple ID Password. We would literally give them a pen and paper to write it down, because chances were, they'd forget it within ten minutes. Which happened more often than you would think.

This isn't meant to sound ageist, by any means. But it is what happened.

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
I would hate to be an Apple employee working the phones right now. I just can't imagine how many stupid people must be calling. I know Mac users have been shown to have higher IQs, but I'm sure it's the opposite with iPhone users.

Wow, what a way to generalize. It only shows your own stupidity.

----------

Worked for Apple for four years in the retail environment, and I can tell you, 2/3 of the customers did NOT know their Apple ID Password. We would literally give them a pen and paper to write it down, because chances were, they'd forget it within ten minutes. Which happened more often than you would think.

Dont worry. Was not near as bad as the post above yours.

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
I think we've moved into an era where the traditional username and password combination for authentication is insufficient, both from a security and feasibility standpoint.

DrFu79

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Norway
I have NO sympathy for people who lose their passwords, their security questions and their credit card id at the same time.
Sorry.
If you lose your passport, your birth certificate and your house keys at the same time, you are also in trouble - rightfully so. Identity theft is serious. :rolleyes:

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It's apple's own fault for making phones so easy to use people don't want to remember a password! That comment was said in jest

On a side note, I do hope it's really hard to reset an apple password, considering all the items it can be used to access.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Solution...

Go to an Apple Store and show your ID/ drivers license at the genius bar.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
To me it's not that easy to "lose" a password. How hard is it to remember?
If you follow a more strict way to define password (e.g. Account specific password) it's easy to mess up.

Note to self: Use different passwords for each account and don't forget them! Resetting forgotten passwords can be a pain.
See above; good way of doing but risky in hectic times ...

1password keeps me sane
Exactly ... And never ever forget the master password for that one ;)

Happen to me on some accounts I not often use (specially at work where old password can't be reused for many generation)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
1password. Don't know what I'd do without it. Probably either forget all my passwords or do the dumb thing and use the same password for everything.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
It's the same password they use for the AppStore. Really, you'd think they could remember it!

Anyway, lets hope fingerprint account authentication comes quickly :)

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I use LastPass to keep my passwords. I'm glad they are doing something like this. If what happened to that Wired guy happened to me, I might get upset.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
You obviously cannot read my signature.

You would be correct, I was using the mobile version. But now I have. Would you like for me to assume owning Apple products means you have been in an Apple Store lately? That's a jump.

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
So I seemed to have a problem with iCloud... So I called support and indeed the girl called me back after a couple of minutes to verify another set of questions. It was here first time, and she told me things got tighter. No problem I said.. The biggest problem was me trying to remember my security question. LOL like I took that seriously.. :)

Things worked out great. They needed access to my account... couple of days.. and things work again.

Nice girl btw.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

Really? Show me the 'study' that shows Mac users have higher IQs, and I hope it doesn't include yours, cause you don't seem too bright yourself

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.