Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuddyRich

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
I haven't done enough testing to be sure but I think there is definitely something amiss with wifi in the new 5.

I've got 6 iOS devices...

iPhone 5 and 3GS running ios6 and ios5.1
iPad 3 x2 ios6 and iOS 5
iPod touch 1st gen iOS 3.1.3
ATV3 (latest update iOS 5.1 equiv I think)

I use a uPNP media server and plug player and I get major buffering issues with relatively low bitrate audio when plugged into my stereo upstairs... I've used the 3GS, iPod touch and iPad here without stuttering issues. It seems that the 5 is dropping connection or packets causing the stuttering issue. Loading web pages it seems fine but any streaming on wifi is a no go compared to older devices.

I have yet to try out the two iPads next to the 5 at with different iOS versions to compare but from day 1 my wife's iPad, though the exact same iPad 16gb wifi only model, consistently could not get the same range as mine, especially testing out back on our patio. I'd get 2 bars wifi she would get 1 or no connection in the same location. Going to 2.4GHz helped but I found it odd to be such a variance between the same model. However both iPads did not get the same wifi range as my 3GS or old iPod touch...

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
So far my 5 has great WiFi Connectivity on all WiFi networks I have connected to. I have only been on 6 different networks, but I am getting the same speeds that my 2010 macbook air get, which is a lot faster than my iPhone 4 and just a little less than I get from my my other computers at home.

mkwomble

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
I have narrowed down my problem to either two things:

on 5ghz setting its absolutely fine but the range is awful and in parts of the house i cant get wifi on my ip5. When i change to 2.4ghz the iph5 is ridiculously slow on the network, streaming from my mac is basically impossible, it loads 3 seconds at a time and is awful.

So i plugged in my old router into the virgin super hub and connected my imac and ip5 to that which is running the 2.4ghz from that router with the broadband pumping through it, NOW it works and streams just fine with no issues.

So the issue is either:

2.4ghz on the virginmedia super hub is crap and thats causing the problem but im tied into virgin and using this equipment i think.

or the phone is faulty but it seems to work with other equipment okay so im sure its the super hub.

Will call Virgin and find out what they can do.... really annoyed.

iphone5video

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
LTE Seems to be the issue See Video

I have been having super slow Wifi speeds and the phone simply disconnecting from the wifi network while syncing.

When I turn off LTE I get X10 the wifi Speeds. See the Video.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9do5ff12fjg65si/iphone 5 lte issue.mov

I have found this works 9 out of 10 times. Every once and a while I get normal Wifi speeds with LTE on but I think that is just the phone switching over to 3G.

Apple told me to just return the phone at the Apple Store. I hope I don't have to. Such a pain.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
My 5 is finding as many APs as my iPad 3 on iOS6. After trying multiple servers on speed test I can get about 12mbps on both the iPad and iPhone. On my desktop I get 33. I have full wifi signal on both. The only thing that bugged me yesterday is I had full wifi connection on my 5 and no data until I rebooted it.

I think this is a software issue so I am going to hold off for about 2 weeks to see what Apple does as the phone is fine other then that. I know some people claim their replacements are faster but maybe it has something to do with getting a new mac address or they did have bad wifi reception. My reception is fine.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
my iphone 5 didn't seem to want to go faster then 10Mbps down, so I reset my router and boom, 35Mbps down.

So try unplugging your router to reset it.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Did another head to head, 4s vs 5 on 2 different routers at friend's houses. 4s twice as fast, no connection issues, consistent, perfect. 5 had half the speed, often less than that, very erratic, lost connection where 4 didn't. I'm thinking this must be a hardware issue at this point.

Something is severely impairing the 5's wifi range, strength and speed. And it doesn't seem to be a compatability issue between the phone and router. I guess I'll have to exchange and hope for the best. Aggravating.

z.sunshine

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
Same issue on iPhone 4S running iOS 6

I experienced the same issue last night running iOS 6 on an iPhone 4S, issue seemed to be only on my iPhone's WiFi connection as there were other computers using the wireless network at the same time and the issue disappeared when switching to 3G. Typically speedtest.net would range on 20mbps download, but when the issue appeared it was 0.00Mbps. Upload was fine, however.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
I have been using Linksys router + DD-WRT open source firmware. Turning off "Afterbuner" option improved WiFi stability. ;). I use WPA2, AES algorithms.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
This is annoying.

I very consistently only get half of the speed on my iPhone 5, compared to everything else I own.

iPad: 11+ Mbps, consistently.
HP laptop: 11+ Mbps, consistently.
MacBook Air: 11+ Mbps, consistently.
iPhone 4: 11+ Mbps, consistently.
iPhone 5: 6 Mbps rather consistently, 2 Mbps sometimes, 10+ Mbps one time, but usually ~6 or so.

All of them are in the same room, on the same wifi, using the same Speedtest.net server.

It is very clearly not a server issue, or a phone vs. computer issue (see the iPhone 4 above). It is 100% the iPhone 5, and the iPhone 5 only.

So... Wtf? Should I go to the Apple store for a replacement or something?

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
This is annoying.

I very consistently only get half of the speed on my iPhone 5, compared to everything else I own.

iPad: 11+ Mbps, consistently.
HP laptop: 11+ Mbps, consistently.
MacBook Air: 11+ Mbps, consistently.
iPhone 4: 11+ Mbps, consistently.
iPhone 5: 6 Mbps rather consistently, 2 Mbps sometimes, 10+ Mbps one time, but usually ~6 or so.

All of them are in the same room, on the same wifi, using the same Speedtest.net server.

It is very clearly not a server issue, or a phone vs. computer issue (see the iPhone 4 above). It is 100% the iPhone 5, and the iPhone 5 only.

So... Wtf? Should I go to the Apple store for a replacement or something?

all iOS devices on iOS6?

The pHan

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
I got mine replaced. The apple guy hooked it up to a continuous stream for 30 min and the test showed intermittent slowdowns and it disconnected once too.

ithinkimalion

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
Someone said to use the Speedtest app and pick the server so its the same each time. Doing that, I get great speeds on 3 servers. Much more consistent.

MikeNemat

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
This is so weird. Yesterday, I could reproduce the issue consistently...I did at least 50 speed tests, different servers, same servers, you name it. I was getting no more than 100-300KB/s

Today, it's working flawlessly. I didn't reboot the phone. I didn't restart my router.

WTF?

dirt nasty

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I have created a separate thread for the issue below which looks to be hardware related.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1453666/

Here's how I could cause the wifi to become practically dead. Similar to iphone 4 antenna issues.

1zbq5ht.jpg

16c2a1k.jpg

Note: Last night I had issues without doing the above, but once I manually selected a different server it went back to 30Mbps. The issue above doesn't matter what server you're testing against.

Last edited:

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Did you try restarting your defective phone to see if this fixed it?

Mine worked perfectly when I got it. Travelling this weekend wifi ground to a halt and was the same at home when I got back. A reboot this morning and it's back up to speed. It doesn't feel like a hardware problem to me.

I restarted, restored, everything under the sun.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
Throw me in the same boat. 4S and iPad 3 running iOS 6 and getting 17 Mbps. I can't get the 5 above 10 Mbps. Same ping times and upload speed. But significantly different download times. When are they going to figure this out?

pcmodderz

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
iphone 5's

I have 2 iphone 5. Both have the same issue. They are ATT and one is white 16gb and one is 32gb black. Just spoke to Apple and they are replacing both of them. Have an appt with Apple on friday to swap them. Don't waste your time if you have this issue. It is the hardware causing the packet loss. I did a ton of test on the phone and it all pointed to the wireless chipset/antenna causing the issue.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
speedtest.net is hard to understand. I tested my iphone and on my macbook and ill get 13.01 on my iphone and 13.50 on download on mac. then ill get like 60 upload and 20 upload on my mac, but then it will vary sometimes on teh phone to 8. but the speed test app will start freezing. so idk is there another app.

also if i run both at the same exact time it makes the iphone one go slow. i don't get it. for it to fluctuate it can't be the phone!

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I have 2 iphone 5. Both have the same issue. They are ATT and one is white 16gb and one is 32gb black. Just spoke to Apple and they are replacing both of them. Have an appt with Apple on friday to swap them. Don't waste your time if you have this issue. It is the hardware causing the packet loss. I did a ton of test on the phone and it all pointed to the wireless chipset/antenna causing the issue.

Did you call a store, or the customer service number? What did you tell them, and how did they acknowledge/describe the issue?

I want to get mine replaced this week.

Thanks!

NavyDude065

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Possible Fix

I had problems of sometimes slow wifi and wifi disconnected and tried all the posted possible solutions with no luck. My iphone 5 wifi is now working perfectly and this is what I did.

- I remained on WEP security, but WPA2 worked fine also.
- Changed my channel from 9 to 7, this gave me a speed increase.
- Disable the N side of my router, G only. Another speed increase.
- QoS settings, disabled WMM.

Also selected a static IP address with a DNS of
24.222.0.94, 24.222.0.95

If you restored from an older iphone ensure both devices are not using the same static IP address, this happened to me and it created connection problems.

These setting gave me an increase in wifi speed but not the random disconnects.

This fixed my random disconnects and been working perfectly ever since.

- backup iphone in itunes.
- Download the IOS 6 firmware for the iphone 5 from here

http://absinthejailbreak.com/all-apple-firmwares-for-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-download-now/

Then click shift-restore (might be update) and select the firmware which will reinstall IOS 6 and erase all content and reset your iphone to factory.

restore your backup and then go into iphone settings>General>Reset and select Reset Network Setting. Once rebooted, Setting> Wi-Fi and select your wifi and enter security string. Then change to static and ensure the IP address isn't used by another wifi device connected to your home wifi network. I found using DNS of 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 gave me speed problems.

This did the trick for me and solved all my wifi problems. Good luck!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.