Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theinspirond

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Do you know someone who could pick it up in a store in those other time zones?

----------

I see Apple Insider and 9to5Mac are reporting it

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/24/apple-retail-scheduled-to-launch-personal-pickup-for-iphone-5-tonight/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...phone_5_retail_personal_pickups_in_us_tonight

Apparently you will be charged for the purchase at the time of reservation and can pick it up at your leisure the next day. If so, that would be different from how they did it last year.

Yea, spoke to someone at my local apple store, they said this is the case :)

----------

I doubt device only purchases are going to be allowed with the reservations system for probably at least 3 months.

sorry, newbie... what do you guys mean by this? that in order to purchase you need to upgrade as well? or need to purchase another item?

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
It wasn't allowed for the 4S when they started doing it. I just selected reserve then went in to pay.

same here, actually. but if everyone is correct about it being a pay full upfront situation... this new system may actually delay my full price purchase.

lamenramen

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
It wasn't allowed for the 4S when they started doing it. I just selected reserve then went in to pay.

Are you saying that you reserved, did not pay online...then 24 hours later walked into the store and said "i want to pay full price device only" and it worked? That may be a good way. Right now to buy online though it's making you add a contract; however this may not be the reservations system.

speciald14

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I was at the Apple Store this morning and was told that in the US they will be allowing Personal Pickups for the iPhone 5 starting at 10pm tonight. Apparently you can buy it online, they will show which stores have inventory, and you pick it up the next day.

Anyone else hearing this? The manager said all shipments coming in today were being held for these pickups tomorrow.

is this 10pm EST or 10 pm local time??

TIA

potsey2007

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
Assuming the information that has been posted saying that device-only purchases will not be allowed for reservations, would this scenario work? Keep in mind I have Verizon and am already on a Share Everything plan:

Add a new line and purchase an iPhone: $200
Required to pay a month on this phone: $40
Cancel and pay Early Termination Fee (ETF): $375

Grand Total: $615+taxes, activation fee, etc.

Would this be a good alternative to paying $650 as device-only? Do you see anything in that scenario that would cause any issues?

miguelq

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Assuming the information that has been posted saying that device-only purchases will not be allowed for reservations, would this scenario work? Keep in mind I have Verizon and am already on a Share Everything plan:

Add a new line and purchase an iPhone: $200
Required to pay a month on this phone: $40
Cancel and pay Early Termination Fee (ETF): $375

Grand Total: $615+taxes, activation fee, etc.

Would this be a good alternative to paying $650 as device-only? Do you see anything in that scenario that would cause any issues?

I think that the first month with taxes may be more than that. The cheapest calling plan with data is almost twice that price. I would verify just to be on the safe side.

potsey2007

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
I think that the first month with taxes may be more than that. The cheapest calling plan with data is almost twice that price. I would verify just to be on the safe side.

I would be adding a line so it would only be $40 + a couple dollars in taxes.

meganator

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Are you planning on paying the ETF and keepin Verizon? Because the ETF would cancel service. I'd pay full price to keep my next upgrade on schedule if it was only a $40 difference. Rather than start fresh...

potsey2007

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
Are you planning on paying the ETF and keepin Verizon? Because the ETF would cancel service. I'd pay full price to keep my next upgrade on schedule if it was only a $40 difference. Rather than start fresh...

I would swap the phone on my primary line (Droid Charge) with the new iPhone, then would cancel the line I added, resulting in the same lines I had before this mess. The lines I currently have on my account would have no changes and I would continue using Verizon.

----------

I would swap the phone on my primary line (Droid Charge) with the new iPhone, then would cancel the line I added, resulting in the same lines I had before this mess. The lines I currently have on my account would have no changes and I would continue using Verizon.

This is all assuming the reservation process does not allow full-price purchases. If it allows device-only reservations, I will skip this mess.

huskerchad

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Any ideas on how to deal with an existing apple.com store order? If I manage to get a reservation for two phones, I would want to cancel the two phones I have on order with an October delivery date. I don't know whether it would be better to cancel that myself, or let someone at the brick & mortar store do it for me. I have AT&T and both of my current lines are upgrade-eligible.

mabeyman

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I'm confused. I just did an online chat with an Apple Rep and they told me that the online reservation/in-store pickup is not [going to be] available for the iPhone 5 at this time. I'm in US by the way.

edit2: The rep told me they know nothing of the program being applied to the iPhone 5. Period. Apple has not released an official statement to CS reps on whether this is true. Regardless of what time it is... Yes I know its not 10pm.
[edit]

Last edited:

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I'm confused. I just did an online chat with an Apple Rep and they told me that the online reservation/in-store pickup is not [going to be] available for the iPhone 5 at this time. I'm in US by the way.

[edit]

That's because it's not available yet. It is suppose to be at 10pm tonight.

pete9976

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2009
Looks like the info is up on apple.com - I know see this:

For Apple Retail Stores, buy online between 10:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m. for in-store pickup the next day. Limited quantities available.

MikeNemat

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
Looks like the info is up on apple.com - I know see this:

For Apple Retail Stores, buy online between 10:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m. for in-store pickup the next day. Limited quantities available.

I don't see that :( Got a link to the specific page?

D-Back

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Does anyone know if you can do the ole upgrade swap using this reservation system? (at&t)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.