Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DentTheUniverse

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
My wife and I both have "carrier unlocked" iPhone 4 on IOS 6. Using Straight talk, data, mms, immessage and face-time (on wifi only). Tmobile sim swap with unlockit.co.nz. Do not delete the APN profile...simply edit in the APN setting. I did do some trial and errors but it works fine. If you would like email instructions please inbox me.

----------

Hi all this is my first post and I had the same problem and its so easy because its there in the menu . Go to general - cellular and scroll down and you will see it lol very tricky

So you also got it working? It is tricky huh...a little tinkering.

Last edited:

redebbm

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
My wife and I both have "carrier unlocked" iPhone 4 on IOS 6. Using Straight talk, data, mms, immessage and face-time (on wifi only). Tmobile sim swap with unlockit.co.nz. Do not delete the APN profile...simply edit in the APN setting. I did do some trial and errors but it works fine. If you would like email instructions please inbox me.

----------

So you also got it working? It is tricky huh...a little tinkering.

Can't inbox yet, I may have been a long time lurker, but profile is still new. Does T-Mobile sell just Micro Sims in store, I didn't know the SIM swap method could be done on the 4 and not the 4S. Seems like this method would hold better than the plist editor since my settings will not stop jumping back after a hour or two.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
iPhone 4 with iOS 6

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ gets my data working but iOS 6 killed my MMS.

I've gone the same route that worked in iOS 5 with editing the SystemConfiguration/preference.plist file and adding in the ATT.MVNO after all APN settings.

This breaks the phone because once you restore that file to your iPhone and reboot it will just cycle booting until the phone finally restores itself.

So something is clearly broken with MMS + iOS 4 + Straight Talk.

I want to avoid having to Jailbreak my device. I hope someone smarter than me figures this out haha.

Mac8a

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Solution

pList editing in iOS 5 and restoring with iBackupBot on a non-jailbroken iPhone has never worked for me. Something always resets the APNs to the default "phone" one. It does the same thing in iOS 6 too.

The only way I can get data & MMS working on a non-jailbroken iPhone is by:

1. Opening the Notes app (or any other stock app)

2. Going to Settings > General > Network

3. Taking the Straight Talk SIM out and putting in a T-Mobile SIM (can be brand new & unactivated. mines is)

4. Go into Cellular Data Network when it shows up

5. Immediately put the Straight Talk SIM back in

6. Multitask between Cellular Data Network and the Notes app back and forth until a signal from Straight Talk comes in and the default non-working data & MMS APN are automatically entered.

7. Once the APNs show up, edit them manually

8. Go toggle Airplane Mode on and off, and reboot the phone

Data and MMS now work fine.

Cellular Data
APN: att.mvno
Username: *blank*
Password: *blank*

MMS
Username: *blank*
Password: *blank*
MMSC: http://www.mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80
MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
MMS UA Prof URL: *blank*

I can confirm 100% that this method still works in iOS 6 GM.

Google "Straight Talk iPhone HowardForums Wiki" and what I explained above is on that page too. The entire site is down as of this post so I explained it as best as I could.

appletest

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
MMS and APN Fix iOS 6 Iphone 4 Unlocked

I tried the plist editing method for APN and MMS and my phone would reboot 4-5 times and then lose the changed settings. I tried the sim swap method and it worked. Here are the steps. The phone was unlocked by ATT. It has lasted after a few reboots and I will update if it stops.

1.) Get a T-mobile micro sim card
2.) Start Iphone and let boot up. Then take out ST sim card
3.) Place the T-mobile sim card in and let it connect to network
4.) Under general and cellular there is cellular data option
5.) Under cellular data you see fields for Data APN an MMS
6.) At this point double hit home button at the bottom to open camera or some other app
7.) Then take out T-mobile sim and place ST sim card into phone
8.) Right away, double hit home key and pick settings button at the bottom
9.) The Data APN and MMS settings window should pop up. Let it connect to Straight Talk Network. Enter in the info below after that:

data apn: att.mvno
user:
pass:

mms apn: att.mvno
user:
pass:
mmsc: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: 66.209.11.33:80
Max Size of Message: 1048576
UAProf: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

10.) After click back upto and it should store the settings. You can click cellular data to check if the settings are in.
11.) I had to repeat the process twice before it took.

rmnewcom

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
i tried the method given by heroe1981 it didn't work at first then after trying again It allowed me to receive MMS but not send and finally it fixed my problem. I turned the phone off and back on and it went back to not being able to send or receive MMS. I have went through the steps several times and it has not worked again. I don't understand how it could work once and then not work. the part where i have to change phone to att.mvno is the part that wont stick. the other part doesn't change back.

"Phone" was only in mine once where the directions says to change it twice. I don't know if that matters. Any ideas?

I am using an Iphone 4 on straight talk that was working fine and after iOS 6 upgrade won't send or receive MMS. Data and everything else works just no picture messages.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Just picked up a t mobile sim. Guy at the shop was nice enough to give it to me free of charge.

Followed the steps above and it's working great!!

appletest

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
It did stop working this morning. lasted for about 1 day without problems. I was indoor this morning in a place without service for a few hrs.
Redid the sim swap thing so I am up working again. May not be a permanent solution. I guess it will have to do for now.

wolfclocker

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
It looks like the most successful trick so far has been the T-mobile swap. In doing this, some are reporting that the settings stick while others are reporting that the phone sets the mms (and possibly other settings) back to default.

This is definitely due to the iOS 6 update, because these tricks work on iOS 5 no problem. I think its just a matter of time before a workaround is discovered. I wish I had known about this problem before upgrading.

I'm using an AT&T locked iPhone 4 on iOS 6. I've been trying the method of manually configuring the .plist through ibackupbot several times while adjusting little things here and there; it still fails to work. The settings would be wiped away to default.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
It looks like the most successful trick so far has been the T-mobile swap. In doing this, some are reporting that the settings stick while others are reporting that the phone sets the mms (and possibly other settings) back to default.

This is definitely due to the iOS 6 update, because these tricks work on iOS 5 no problem. I think its just a matter of time before a workaround is discovered. I wish I had known about this problem before upgrading.

I'm using an AT&T locked iPhone 4 on iOS 6. I've been trying the method of manually configuring the .plist through ibackupbot several times while adjusting little things here and there; it still fails to work. The settings would be wiped away to default.

My theory is that yes something in iOS 6 changed things. But I feel the only way to fix it is for the developer of iBackupBot updates his software. I think that during the saving and restoring of the preference.plist file that something messes up. Which causes the phone to reboot 4-5 times after.

Another reason I think it has something to do with the program is because once you enter in the same info with the T-mobile sim swap, the phone works. The settings didn't change from 5 to 6.

In closing I feel that an update to iBackupBot will fix the problem because it's not saving properly to the phone with iOS 6. But once you have a T-mobile sim you wouldn't have to worry about it.

pdavis83

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I had the same issue with my non-jailbroken iPhone 4, ST sim, iOS 6, and had no MMS out of the blue this morning. I tried a restore with iBackupBot v 3.5.5 (that I downloaded a few days ago) and it never worked. I noticed it was just updated to V 3.6.1 on their website and now after a restore MMS works. In the preferences.plist I didn't have "wap.cingular" but just the word "phone". I changed it to att.mvno and I also noticed under (ip3) string, it was blank for the APN. I added the att.mvno there also. It finally works after wasting my entire Saturday looking at this. I even went to the T-mobile store to buy a sim and I was told I had to buy an activation plan with it. They wouldn't simply sell me a sim. I hope this works for others.

update- This was a temporary fix it seems... After I rebooted the iPhone, MMS stopped working again. So I did a restore again and MMS comes alive again but only for about 15 minutes or when I make a network change such as turning wifi on or off. iOS 6 must do self checks after bootup and correct itself because I can MMS will for awhile then for no reason it stops working. The t-mobile trick seems to be the only fix at this time. I will I could get a sim to test it.

Last edited:

chasingerrors

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Apn settings for straight talk after ios6

close all apps running
swap sim to tmobile sim
open settings, general, cellular, data network. if its not there close app and
leave tmobile sim in. double click home button close app completely.
reopen with tmobile sim still inside iphone. wait a few seconds it should appear.
then when it appears swap to the S.T. sim wait for the splash screen "NO SIM" to go away. and now click on the cellular again and data networks should still be there. then use list below.

Settings
Cellular Data
Username:
Password:
MMS
Username:
Password:
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80
MMS Max Size: 1048576
MMS UA Prof URL:

RedGeminiPA

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Altoona, PA
I had the same issue with my non-jailbroken iPhone 4, ST sim, iOS 6, and had no MMS out of the blue this morning. I tried a restore with iBackupBot v 3.5.5 (that I downloaded a few days ago) and it never worked. I noticed it was just updated to V 3.6.1 on their website and now after a restore MMS works. In the preferences.plist I didn't have "wap.cingular" but just the word "phone". I changed it to att.mvno and I also noticed under (ip3) string, it was blank for the APN. I added the att.mvno there also. It finally works after wasting my entire Saturday looking at this. I even went to the T-mobile store to buy a sim and I was told I had to buy an activation plan with it. They wouldn't simply sell me a sim. I hope this works for others.

update- This was a temporary fix it seems... After I rebooted the iPhone, MMS stopped working again. So I did a restore again and MMS comes alive again but only for about 15 minutes or when I make a network change such as turning wifi on or off. iOS 6 must do self checks after bootup and correct itself because I can MMS will for awhile then for no reason it stops working. The t-mobile trick seems to be the only fix at this time. I will I could get a sim to test it.
I just tried that with my 3GS. Still didn't work under iOS 6.

One thing I noticed, the updated version of iBackupBot didn't put it into 4-5 reboots. It did, however, reboot 2 times, followed by the update progress bar. At which time it reverts back the preferences.plist file.

rmnewcom

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Mine started working out of the blue today. I had edited the plist several times with no success and after I gave up and stopped messing with it it started working. But it didn't last. I have tried several different ways of editing phone to att.mvno in plist but none have stuck some have worked longer than others but none for more than 20 minuets or so. Somebody figure this out it is driving me nuts.

wolfclocker

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012

I too gave it a try with version 3.6.1 and it worked until I turned off my phone and turned it back on. As somebody else said, it appears as if iOS 6 is programmed to do regular checks on its settings and resets them whenever it thinks that they have been fiddled with. Until a solid fix is found, I'm very tempted to downgrade back to iOS 5. But before that... I'm gonna run to my local T-Mobile store and pick up a sim to try out the sim-swap method. Hope they'll give it to me free!

JG Media

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I made a Step By Step guide with screenshots On How to do this!

Seems like everyone is figuring this out as they go - as I did. I decided to put together a how-to / step by step guide with screenshots and all info currently available on getting Data and MMS working on Straight Talk iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S with iOS 6.

http://www.jgmedia.biz/how-to-get-data-and-mms-working-on-straight-talk-iphone-4-and-iphone-4s-on-ios-6-updated-sim-swap-method/

For everyone having trouble losing data or MMS off future reboots, turning data off for 5 seconds and then on again from the settings menu fixed this for me. Airplane mode would probably work too. YMMV

rscharf

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2006
Ureka!!!

Seems like everyone is figuring this out as they go - as I did. I decided to put together a how-to / step by step guide with screenshots and all info currently available on getting Data and MMS working on Straight Talk iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S with iOS 6.

http://www.jgmedia.biz/how-to-get-data-and-mms-working-on-straight-talk-iphone-4-and-iphone-4s-on-ios-6-updated-sim-swap-method/

For everyone having trouble losing data or MMS off future reboots, turning data off for 5 seconds and then on again from the settings menu fixed this for me. Airplane mode would probably work too. YMMV

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU!!

Your procedure worked for my iPhone 4s (ATT). I used a T-Mobile SIM card and all went according to plan. I had been messing with this problem for the last two days. Really appreciate your efforts to put together the step by step.

JG Media

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012

Your procedure worked for my iPhone 4s (ATT). I used a T-Mobile SIM card and all went according to plan. I had been messing with this problem for the last two days. Really appreciate your efforts to put together the step by step.

Awesome! I've been helped so much through this forum (only reading as a guest). I'm glad I was able to contribute something helpful.

wolfclocker

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012

I REALLY gotta try this method now. I just need to run down to Tmobile and pick up a SIM card.

How are the settings on your iPhone so far? Is it still good (e.g. it has not reset)?

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I REALLY gotta try this method now. I just need to run down to Tmobile and pick up a SIM card.

How are the settings on your iPhone so far? Is it still good (e.g. it has not reset)?

I've been rocking these settings since Saturday and haven't had one issue.

rmnewcom

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
i called two different Tmobile stores and they wanted $20 for a SIM card. I sent my wife by to pick one up and they would not even sell it to her. I ordered a My Simple mobile SIM from ebay and it came in today. I keep getting an error "SIM failure" but about every 10th time I try the card it works....... I think..... I don't get the error atleast. But when I go to settings nothing changes. I still dont have the cellular Data settings tab. Now what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.