Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uEih

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I was using my 2011 MBA today and noticed a very white spot on my screen, at first i thought it was something on the screen so i tried to clean it but it didn't come off. I wouldn't consider it a dead pixel but when i look at the screen from the side it'll be much whiter than other white parts of the screen. Not sure what to call it but i'm sure someone has had this problem before. It's not a big deal but it bothers me knowing i paid the premium laptop money to have something not be perfect like this. Still under the 1st year warranty and everything so do you think it's something that they will take care of or should i even be bothered by it at all.

rt23

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
New York City
Just take it to the apple store and have it replaced if its still under warranty. I also just recently sent my Mid 2012 13 inch for the same problems but mine had multiple white spots. The out of warranty cost was around $400, so you should do it now and might as well have it replaced while still under warranty.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
I had a screen with a dot and had it replaced. Then it happened again and I had that one replace. Then I sold the machine because the screen is way too delicate on it. And I bought the retina pro instead. It's a lot more solid. I think the air display can be very easily damaged by a little bump in your bag. I think the air is one of the worst Apple machines because of this. If you're not moving it around you're fine. If you plan to move it get a seriously protective bag. The genius that helped me the second time told me that they are not allowed to stack airs unlike the pro because they are just way too delicate. That was certainly my experience.

----------

Definitely a common problem. Mine was a 2011. Not sure if they fixed this in 2012. Anyhow, as soon as you go in they know right away. They must see tons of them for repair. I personally wouldn't buy one until they sort this issue out.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1433013/

something like this? It's common issue, many Airs have this.

uEih

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1433013/

something like this? It's common issue, many Airs have this.

Similar to that but mine isn't on the edge of the screen and basically in the middle, it looks like a water spot and I can only see it on a white screen when looking from the side but I take its the same problem.. I'll be taking it in but if this is a common problem for airs I might wait until the rumored 13 in retina in October before I take it in so I can possibly sell it instead, I wouldn't want this happening a year later because of the bad design of the airs.

Luigi3

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012
Similar to that but mine isn't on the edge of the screen and basically in the middle, it looks like a water spot and I can only see it on a white screen when looking from the side but I take its the same problem.. I'll be taking it in but if this is a common problem for airs I might wait until the rumored 13 in retina in October before I take it in so I can possibly sell it instead, I wouldn't want this happening a year later because of the bad design of the airs.

As far as I know, it will not get worse over the years. But you can try replace it. You have to remember that replacement not guarantee screen without issues :p

uEih

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
As far as I know, it will not get worse over the years. But you can try replace it. You have to remember that replacement not guarantee screen without issues :p

If my next one is the same ill just do it again but that's a hassle, at least I'm close to an apple store. :)

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011

If you can only see it on a white screen and when looking from the side why is this a problem?

uEih

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
If you can only see it on a white screen and when looking from the side why is this a problem?

Just because it's something that's there that shouldn't be there and it wasn't caused by me. Why should i pay so much just to have a defect when there shouldn't be. It doesn't get in the way or anything but the fact that it's visible at all is a good enough reason to get it replaced while it's still under the 1 year warranty. It's a little unfair to have a defective screen when someone else who paid the same amount gets a perfect one.

Also at times if i'm ever editing a picture or something it will be in the way and will be annoying .

EDIT: Looking back at it with an all white screen i found 2 spots now.

Last edited:

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I'm not saying you shouldn't try to exchange. Just that you may find something with a new one that will bother you more.

uEih

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I'm not saying you shouldn't try to exchange. Just that you may find something with a new one that will bother you more.

Yea i know what you're saying, that's also true. But if it's something worst then i can always bring it up again.. i understand it's a hassle so i still haven't made my decision yet.. also this might be a good time to get a samsung screen instead since i currently don't have one on this air.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I had a screen with a dot and had it replaced. Then it happened again and I had that one replace. Then I sold the machine because the screen is way too delicate on it. And I bought the retina pro instead. It's a lot more solid. I think the air display can be very easily damaged by a little bump in your bag.

The retina certainly isn't immune. My rMBP came straight out of the box with a pressure mark like you're describing.

uEih

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Yeah, sadly with an LG that had bad image retention issues. bah..

Currently have an LG screen on mine so it won't get any worst.. Did you bring it in to the genius bar? If so how fast was the turn around time?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Currently have an LG screen on mine so it won't get any worst.. Did you bring it in to the genius bar? If so how fast was the turn around time?

I did it all over the phone. It was actually a bad experience though. They wouldn't advance ship so I was without a machine for about 2 weeks.

uEih

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I did it all over the phone. It was actually a bad experience though. They wouldn't advance ship so I was without a machine for about 2 weeks.

I hope that's not the only option and i can do it in stores or something as i can't really go 1 week without the laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.