Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Post-release poll: black vs. white

• Total voters

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
News flash...The black anodization does not scratch off easily AT ALL. the whole "scuff gate" thing is just total BS. I understand that a lot of people received phones with damage to the band most likely from the manufacturing process. That's a different story. But saying that the black scratches off easily on a perfect phone is just plain false. The coating is extremely durable. If u drop it in the street you will undoubtly damage it. That goes for almost anything. But as far as normal use goes, it's going to be very hard to damage that band. In fact, Im not worried at all about my phone. I'm pretty positive that the coating is going to remain perfect for a long time.

Well mine was perfect out of the box until a fragment of the chamfer simply fell off leaving a bright mark about 2mm by 1mm - which on a small black phone is pretty noticeable - and there is no certainty that this is the last piece to come off. Yeah maybe mine has a manufacturing fault but it's still pants.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Originally I was planning on getting black but after all the scuff/scratch problems I went white.

Generally I like to carry around my phone naked and sometimes put it in the same pocket with coins and keys, etc. My white iPhone 4S held up pretty well through the abuse, so I'll be sticking with it.

Plus the silver back is SEXY, the anodized slate back seems boring to me.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
I have the black currently. I work for Best Buy so when I activate a white i5 for a customer I will look long and hard at it and consider making a trip to my Apple Store and swapping it out

D33170

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
I initially liked the black at first. But after seeing both in person, I went with the white. The chrome like edges makes it look elegant and sophisticated where the black ip5 looks too plain..it actually looks like it was made out of plastic like all other smart phones. That's just until you hold it of course

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
raise your hand if you chose black because you're insecure.. I don't understand the social stigma towards white? someone explain what makes it a girl?

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I haven't decided yet (haven't seen them live yet). So far I've always bought a black one (same with iPad) even though my 4 is currently red... Luckily I still have some time to decide before I buy. Maybe I'll just get both :p

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
raise your hand if you chose black because you're insecure.. I don't understand the social stigma towards white? someone explain what makes it a girl?

white = apple pride. not girly. :apple:

neo1

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
I want to put a back off a white one on my black one and see what it looks like

MaC rA mE

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2010
Silver MacBook Air, white iPad 3, black iPhone 5. I really missed the black bezel around my old MacBook Pro. It's much better for contrasting the colours on the screen.

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
News flash...The black anodization does not scratch off easily AT ALL. the whole "scuff gate" thing is just total BS. I understand that a lot of people received phones with damage to the band most likely from the manufacturing process. That's a different story. But saying that the black scratches off easily on a perfect phone is just plain false. The coating is extremely durable. If u drop it in the street you will undoubtly damage it. That goes for almost anything. But as far as normal use goes, it's going to be very hard to damage that band. In fact, Im not worried at all about my phone. I'm pretty positive that the coating is going to remain perfect for a long time.

Mine is flaking off. Phone was flawless when received, now the sharp edges and even the flat machined area that mates to the glass has chips coming off. Never dropped, in a pocket with no keys or coins, and either on a desk or in an Oakley sunglasses bag since received. I wipe it with a micro fiber cloth from time to time. Same care as my 4S which is flawless, and my 2 year old Macbook Pro... also flawless.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Went with the black, mainly because I had a white 4S and thought that if I got a white 5, it would just look too much like my old phone from the front side, which is usually all I see anyways given I use cases.

Had some minor damage on the camfer edge out of the box like many people. Still trying to decide what to do about that and wether or not it is worth it to me to go to my local Apple store to try for an exchange, especially since it seems that many people report that the exchanges are often worse that their originals.

I keep looking at pictures of the white iphone 5 online, and looked at them in my Apple store too, but I just can't seem to get over how much it looks like my 4S from the front side. I don't know.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Mine is flaking off. Phone was flawless when received, now the sharp edges and even the flat machined area that mates to the glass has chips coming off. Never dropped, in a pocket with no keys or coins, and either on a desk or in an Oakley sunglasses bag since received. I wipe it with a micro fiber cloth from time to time. Same care as my 4S which is flawless, and my 2 year old Macbook Pro... also flawless.

If the coating is not bonded I.e. flaking, that's a manufacturing defect and a good reason to swap it out for white, another black, or a refund and use a 4S.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I chose black, but it was a very hard choice. I would have been happy with either color, to be honest. I ultimately went with black because I thought it was slightly more professional-looking and less flashy, those these days so many people have white iPhones that the "professional-looking" excuse probably isn't valid.

The black looks machined and menacing. The white looks sharp and sculpted. Like I said, I'd have been happy with either.

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
If the coating is not bonded I.e. flaking, that's a manufacturing defect and a good reason to swap it out for white, another black, or a refund and use a 4S.

Yep. They are sending me a white replacement. My 4S was white... I like the look.

jj.apple

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Quezon City, Philippines
Black

When I saw the rumors about the iPhone 5 it seem to be ugly for me at first, and i hate the transition to Lightning Connector (now I love the connector) but the White and Silver attracted my most attention because it's nice and elegant even during the launch I still like the White and Silver until when I saw the Unboxing and Comparison Video of the iPhone 5, and I saw how formal and the looks of the Black & Slate and it is very strong look.

Now I have my iPhone for almost 2 months now and by the way when I got my iPhone there's a 0.5cm scratch of the chamfered edge and I don't care at all. For me I think the Black and Slate are unique because it has a scratch on the chamfered edges and for me I think its like a birthmark of your phone.

I also don't like the white color anymore because during when I have my White iPhone 4 I'm always aware of the dirt in the dock, headphone jack, earpiece and esp. the home button so I always clean it every week so that I can just retain the pristine condition of the phone, so now I got the Black and Slate model and I don't see the dirts and I know there are dirts in the phone but I can't see it and it's not seemed to be annoying anymore.

By the way another reason why I got the Black and Slate model because not all apps are not really optimized for the 4.0 inch screen so you can see letter boxes and it's annoying for the White and Silver cause you know the contrast of the two colors while on the other hand the Black and Slate feels like you can have both 3.5 inch and a 4 inch screen cause you can't see the letter box (almost) and it's not annoying.

:apple:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have a black iPod Touch and I'm constantly wiping the front screen clean since it attracts my fingerprints quite easily.

Ever since the iPhone 4, I have always owned the white verison. It shows less finger prints and even though it looks less "professional" than the black, I don't use it for work purposes, so I couldn't care less.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I got black having ordered pre release but after seeing white in person I am sorry I did not get white.

Maybe its all the past black iphones and ipads that having me craving change. I got the white Mini and love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.