Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
I've had the Speck CardCase on my iP4 and felt it's been a pretty solid case. Want to add the iP5 version to your list? It's available, $35.

Speck SmartFlex Card Case
http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-case/iphone-5-cases/smartflex-card-for-iphone-5.html

Hey Andy, if you don't mind me asking, how does this case hold the cards in there?

The site says it will hold 3 (most only hold 2) plus cash.

But what if you have only 1 or 2 cards. Are they loose in there or does the case get stretched out?

Any info you could provide would be great as I have been debating a wallet case forever and want to make a decision very soon.

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
Axis

I noticed that no one has commented on the Axis. It has 3 slots for cards and a pocket for cash. Any drawbacks to that wallet case?

AndyFL

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
I can only speak definitively for the iP4 case, which I have in my possession. It holds 3 cards, but can hold only 1 or two. There's a rubber 'hump' inside that will keep 1 card held securely or if you put three in there, it'll flatten out to hold them all. Tried to capture it in the pic, not sure if you can see it there in the last one.

These are pics of the iPhone4 version
photo3-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

photo3-vi.jpg

Order it from Speck directly, you get free S&H, and you have a 30 day MBG. Can't go wrong with that IMO.

Hey Andy, if you don't mind me asking, how does this case hold the cards in there?

The site says it will hold 3 (most only hold 2) plus cash.

But what if you have only 1 or 2 cards. Are they loose in there or does the case get stretched out?

Any info you could provide would be great as I have been debating a wallet case forever and want to make a decision very soon.

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
The plastic that holds the Iphone inside of the Hex cause broke and started cracking with minimal use. I sent it back and got my money back. I woudn't recommend it unless they made a drastic design. If you take your phone in and out which you had to if you wanted to even use the camera at all because it lacked a hole.

I DO like taking the phone in and out....thanks for the feedback. I currently have the bookbook case and don't have that problem b/c the phone slides out. Maybe I should be looking at the Solo.

JAYTEE

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Can I ask how many cards the iLid can hold in that compartment without it hindering the closing of the case?

I am strongly considering this case, and I too, have already ordered a cheap bumper to hold me over.

Thanks for any further info you can provide.

Hi Rat-Boy

I currently hold 4 credit cards in mine although the 4th is quite snug. You cannot hold cash in this configuration as it simply won't fit.

I will definitely be waiting for their iPhone 5 version having studied this topic for an extra day or so

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Hi Rat-Boy

I currently hold 4 credit cards in mine although the 4th is quite snug. You cannot hold cash in this configuration as it simply won't fit.

I will definitely be waiting for their iPhone 5 version having studied this topic for an extra day or so

Thanks JAYTEE!

So an I assume that you put 2 in the main part and 2 in the money clip?

Think it would hold 3 and some cash in that case?

Thanks for the help. I can't believe this decision is this hard.

----------

Here is another nice one that has a case for the iPhone WITH a bumper on it, and then a nylon stretchy pouch on the outside for your license, credit card, etc.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/iphone-cases/smartcase-iphone.php

Man, SOOOOOO many choices.!!!

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
Doesn't look like any of these that don't cover the screen can hold 4 cards and cash. How do you all get away with 2-3 cards? You have your CC, DL, insurance card, and in my case, special ID card but surely most would want to carry something else even if they didn't have a secondary ID card...AAA, debit card, etc.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Look at what this thread made me do

At first I was leaning toward not using a case. I used a nice leather shell on iP4 because I found the naked iP4 uncomfortable. The naked iP5 however feels a lot better in my hand.

Then I saw this thread and got curious. One thing lead to another and I found myself looking at the Speck SmartFlex Card case. I just ordered a black one.

Here are my pros and cons for this Speck wallet case.

pros: protection front, back, lay on table face down; presumably more comfortable to hold than the naked phone; easy to pick up from a table (I notice that it's a bit slippery to pick up a naked iP5 from a hard surface).

cons: increased thickness (how big of a deal is it? the iP5 is really thin to start with so the whole thing may end up the size of my old iP4 with the leather shell which is quite acceptable); can only hold 3 cards (may be it's a good thing - I can always bring my wallet if I need to bring cash or other cards)

I don't think there is any way to find out if it works for me other than trying it out for a couple of weeks. They got a great return policy so the worst that can happen is that I have to pay for return shipping.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008

Keep in mind, I'm not adding cases that cover the screen.

I've had the Speck CardCase on my iP4 and felt it's been a pretty solid case. Want to add the iP5 version to your list? It's available NOW, $35.

Speck SmartFlex Card Case
http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-case/iphone-5-cases/smartflex-card-for-iphone-5.html
Added! :)

I kept looking for these! Must have been announced in the last couple days. Added! :)

Added! :)

JAYTEE

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Rat-Boy,

That is correct. 2 in each side. The money clip itself pops off / out if you exert too much pressure on it but it can easily be popped back in.

And now for the stupid story of the day. So my iPhone 5 arrives, I go to the telco to get a nano sim, sweet. I go to another store for the interim case. No problem.

Go home, restore iTunes backup from 4S, make some calls, go out to dinner with my wife. Take shiny new iPhone 5..... and leave my licence, credit cards and other photo ID in my iLid case that's still on my iPhone 4S that's sitting on my desk. I told you I couldn't live without the iLid. I just know my cards and ID are always with me. Fortunately my wife had her credit card :)

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Hi Rat-Boy,

That is correct. 2 in each side. The money clip itself pops off / out if you exert too much pressure on it but it can easily be popped back in.

And now for the stupid story of the day. So my iPhone 5 arrives, I go to the telco to get a nano sim, sweet. I go to another store for the interim case. No problem.

Go home, restore iTunes backup from 4S, make some calls, go out to dinner with my wife. Take shiny new iPhone 5..... and leave my licence, credit cards and other photo ID in my iLid case that's still on my iPhone 4S that's sitting on my desk. I told you I couldn't live without the iLid. I just know my cards and ID are always with me. Fortunately my wife had her credit card :)

Hahaha.. Woops! Too funny.

Also, for those looking to carry the phone naked, or in a bumper, and STILL want a wallet style case, I recommend these: http://www.sfbags.com/products/iphone-cases/smartcase-iphone.php

I may end up going with one of these.

It comes in 3 types too. Slip, which just goes in pocket. Clip, which has a belt clip. Flap, which has a velcro flap to attach to a shoulder bag.

And for the person asking about the quantity of cards, I only carry 2 cards. Debit card and my license.

For my health card, I store them in an iPhone app called Key Ring, so I don't need to carry them.

----------

Not sure if the OP added the above one to the list, but you can if you want.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/iphone-cases/smartcase-iphone.php

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Rat-Boy, I'm not adding those kinds of cases. I'm trying to stick to cases that don't cover the screen, otherwise I could probably add at least 30-40 to that list. There's just too many pouch/wallet cases that cover the screen for me to cover.

magpie maniac

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2007
Doesn't look like any of these that don't cover the screen can hold 4 cards and cash. How do you all get away with 2-3 cards? You have your CC, DL, insurance card, and in my case, special ID card but surely most would want to carry something else even if they didn't have a secondary ID card...AAA, debit card, etc.

I've wondered about the same thing. If I'm going to merge my wallet and phone, I need a case that will hold more that two or three cards. As Sweet Brown would say, "Ain't nobody got time for dat!"

In my current wallet, I carry my driver license, concealed carry permit, MasterCard, American Express, BoA ATM card, medical insurance cards, etc. I'd really love to have a BookBook for my iP5, but I'm not convinced it would fit my needs.

mikecenizal

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2008
The plastic that holds the Iphone inside of the Hex cause broke and started cracking with minimal use. I sent it back and got my money back. I woudn't recommend it unless they made a drastic design. If you take your phone in and out which you had to if you wanted to even use the camera at all because it lacked a hole.

the most recent version for the 4/4s has a camera hole now. naturally the iphone 5 version has the cam hole as well..

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
I've wondered about the same thing. If I'm going to merge my wallet and phone, I need a case that will hold more that two or three cards. As Sweet Brown would say, "Ain't nobody got time for dat!"

In my current wallet, I carry my driver license, concealed carry permit, MasterCard, American Express, BoA ATM card, medical insurance cards, etc. I'd really love to have a BookBook for my iP5, but I'm not convinced it would fit my needs.

I totally agree with both of you guys. I currently own the Twelve South book book case. It has 3 card slots (DL, CC, and bank card) and a pocket for cash. I'm not sure the point of these other cases if they can't hold those 4 things at a minimum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.