Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
England
Hi. This may have been discussed. Anyway. If you swipe fast across your phone from left to right with your hand/wrist does anyone get a green-ish glint at the bottom of the screen. I can't take a screenshot in time incase anyone needs to see it. The tint only appears for a short time.

Last edited:

thiara

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I'm getting it too. I get the green band at the bottom of the screen if my iPhone 5 has been on stand by for about 5mins and then when i unlock it, it goes. It looks like the green banding you get when the tube is going on the CRT tvs. Maybe it has something to do with the magnet in the speakers being to close to the screen?

Last edited:

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
England
I'm getting it too. I get the green band at the bottom of the screen if my iPhone 5 has been on stand by for about 5mins and then when i unlock it, it goes. It looks like the green banding you get when the tube is going on the CRT tvs. Maybe it has something to do with the magnet in the speakers being to close to the screen?

Yes, it happens mostly at the bottom of the phone. Do you think it's hardware or software related? I'm hoping it's a easy fix for the next software update. Do you think a restore would fix it?

thiara

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I called apple today they suggested to restore my phone. I don't think it will make much difference but I will try it tomorrow

thiara

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
See the link it's a short video of what's happening. It's not the best video be you should be able to see what's happening

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=yFEcIxJBkUE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DyFEcIxJBkUE%26feature%3Dyoutube_gdata_player

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
England

thiara

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Any luck with a full restore? What I just thought of is this: I should go into my local Apple Store and try it out on all the iPhone's there, see if it does what's happening to us.

Tried the restore and had no joy. Spoke to apple again and they have made me an appointment at an apple shop. Hopefully they will replace the phone. I have also noticed it happens after have been on a call. My appointment is on Saturday I will keep you updated.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Well, the next time I operate my iPhone 5 with my hand or wrist I'll take note.

What about ankles? :)

jsvanaulen

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
I believe this is hardware related. There was another thread on this but it was happening closer to the middle of the screen. (I couldn't find it) It's most likely something inside the phone pressing on the back of the screen when you apply pressure. In the video that was posted, it's happening when the person presses the home button because it's putting pressure on the screen. I just noticed it starting to happen on my iPod touch 4th generation. I'll post a video of it if I get the chance.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
England
Tried the restore and had no joy. Spoke to apple again and they have made me an appointment at an apple shop. Hopefully they will replace the phone. I have also noticed it happens after have been on a call. My appointment is on Saturday I will keep you updated.

Yeah. Keep me updated. Thanks. I think I'll return mine but as I pre-ordered it online I can't take it into an Apple Store and get it replaced. I have to do it over the phone!

jsvanaulen

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
I believe this is hardware related. There was another thread on this but it was happening closer to the middle of the screen. (I couldn't find it) It's most likely something inside the phone pressing on the back of the screen when you apply pressure. In the video that was posted, it's happening when the person presses the home button because it's putting pressure on the screen. I just noticed it starting to happen on my iPod touch 4th generation. I'll post a video of it if I get the chance.

Video:

http://youtu.be/-iNTZgnB8As

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
England

Ok thanks for that. If it's just started on your iPod (is it running iOS 6?) maybe it isn't a hardware problem. If your iPod was ok before you updated to iOS 6 but now it's happening, could this be a bug?

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
England
I'm no expert, but I guess it's possible. I think I discovered it right before iOS 6, but I'm not positive.

Also, here is that other thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1448953/

Hm... That's not what's actually happening to my screen. It's difficult to explain! I'll get a lime green flash when I swipe quickly across the iPhone from left to right.

I'm just gonna call up and hopefully get a replacement.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
England
I just tried to get a few screenshots, it doesn't appear on them. Does this mean something?

thiara

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Yeah. Keep me updated. Thanks. I think I'll return mine but as I pre-ordered it online I can't take it into an Apple Store and get it replaced. I have to do it over the phone!

My phone was pre ordered online too. I just call apple and they made an appointment for me. Give them a call on 0844 209 0611

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
England
Yeah, thats a UK number

I went into my local Apple Store and it appears on all the iPhone 5's. That's strange. Must be something to with the layer they removed. iPhone 5's touch screen is 1 layer isn't it? Still a bit worried if I'm honest though!! But at least I found out it appears on every iPhone 5.

Last edited:

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
I'm getting the same although it seems I get a green glow around the edge of the whole screen

Thank god it's not just me! I'll wait to see what happens with the guy with the apple store appointment before I do anything.

It's not a major issue for me but catches me off guard every time I see it!

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Just been able to get a screen shot of something else happening...

When the phone is plugged in and charging and I'm listening to music, when I unlock the phone I can see the battery icon appear very briefly before going to the home screen.

Wonder if it's related..??

Anyway here's the shot

Attachments

• Photo 27-09-2012 05 49 10 PM.png
    Photo 27-09-2012 05 49 10 PM.png
    564.2 KB · Views: 122
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.