Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikel30

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
I have a number of saved voicemails on my phone. Some of them are for sentimental reasons, others are for work. I recently had to restore my iPhone 4 from my iTunes backup, and it restored the voicemails just fine.

I just got my iPhone 5 delivered today, and I went through the setup process. Restored from my iTunes backup, entered my iCloud info, and everything looked good. All my photos and music and apps and settings were set up perfectly. But once I got to my voicemails.. well, they weren't to be seen. I put in my voicemail password and it downloaded 2 voicemails. Both from the last couple days. None of the older, important ones.

Any idea if there's a way to get them back on there?

FFocuSS

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
I have a number of saved voicemails on my phone. Some of them are for sentimental reasons, others are for work. I recently had to restore my iPhone 4 from my iTunes backup, and it restored the voicemails just fine.

I just got my iPhone 5 delivered today, and I went through the setup process. Restored from my iTunes backup, entered my iCloud info, and everything looked good. All my photos and music and apps and settings were set up perfectly. But once I got to my voicemails.. well, they weren't to be seen. I put in my voicemail password and it downloaded 2 voicemails. Both from the last couple days. None of the older, important ones.

Any idea if there's a way to get them back on there?

If you're on AT&T, they delete voicemails when you get the new phone. In a few of the emails they sent during the pre-order wait and after I got my phone, they said to check your voicemails because the voice mailbox wouldn't carry over to the new phone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I noticed the same.
I had some real old visual voicemessages on my 4S but only the latest 3-4 popped up on the i5 after activation.
I guess the old ones are deleted from the system eventually after so many days or months.

Elcontotheway

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
Same exact issue. And previously my voicemails had gone with me from the 3G to the 4G. I just rechecked emails from AT&T and Apple after I placed my in-store pickup and nothing about voicemail. Additionally nothing was mentioned in store, and I did ask about voicemail. (Albeit, this seems to be more a carrier issue). One thing, I still have my 4G on airplane mode and the old voicemails are showing there... For sentimental purposes I'm going to try to make a recording... But otherwise it is a very confusing shift in policy as I have not changed carriers or phone companies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.