Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
Google might win a few extra Android sales. They really have no reason to make an maps app for iOS. What benefit would they have?

What benefit do they have for making the Google Search app for iOS? Or Google Drive? Or Google Earth? Google Translate? Google Current? Google+? Google Play Books? Gmail? Chrome? Youtube? Schemer [ok, even I hadn't heard of that one]

mLcdR.png

Last edited by a moderator:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Nope, they don't collect all your favorites, your keyword search, your food of choice so they can sell them to advertiser to target you. No Google is doing all that free service just to be nice.

I suggest you go and do a little research before making yourself look any more silly. The same applies to anyone else who thinks Google is selling their details off to 3rd parties.

The fact is, Apple collect the exact same stuff as Google. Google are just able to make more use of it as they have a successful ad network. That's as far as it goes.

This whole "Google is evil because you are the product" argument is quite simply bollocks.

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Apple Maps is completely useless

Apple Maps is completely useless as far as I am concerned. It can't find places, when it does it can't give directions correctly, if you type in the full address it can't drop the pin in the correct location.

I've gone from loving my iPhone and using the maps several times a day to counting the days until I can switch to Android or find someway of getting iOS 5.1.1 back. I'll swap my 4S for a 3GS if it means I can get rid of iOS6 and useless Apple Maps. If I see "not found" again for a major location, business, park on Apple Maps my iPhone is in danger of being thrown against the wall and smashed. I am completely fed up an sick of the stupid useless application. Whoever agreed to it's release should be disgusted with themselves. I couldn't live with myself if I released something that can't even do the basics.

Angry, frustrated and totally fed up beyond anything I can put into words

:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad:

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Why would Google bother releasing their map app for iOS anyway?

Apple screwed them over by removing it from iOS.

If I was Google, I'd make it an Android exclusive and tell Apple to have fun playing catch-up over the next two years while Google Maps gets better and better.

Apple really screwed up on this one. I mean REALLY screwed up.

This is Google's chance to pounce on Apple's eroding reputation.

TONS of people use Google Maps to navigate. To say it's a non-issue is utter stupidity - it will absolutely affect people's purchasing decisions - especially people who's iPhone 4 contracts are expiring right now and next year at this time when their 4S contracts are expiring...

Apple Maps is the laughing stock of the tech world right now.

I would say competition is good and let people decide as long as there are no infringing patents involved. If people need google maps now and urgently, they should get an Android phone. You really can't have your cake and eat it too. Apple is in no way obligated to give you Google Maps as a built in. It's a service they replaced with their own. They now have a mostly functional map that needs alot of work and refinement.

----------

Apple Maps is completely useless as far as I am concerned. It can't find places, when it does it can't give directions correctly, if you type in the full address it can't drop the pin in the correct location.

I've gone from loving my iPhone and using the maps several times a day to counting the days until I can switch to Android or find someway of getting iOS 5.1.1 back. I'll swap my 4S for a 3GS if it means I can get rid of iOS6 and useless Apple Maps. If I see "not found" again for a major location, business, park on Apple Maps my iPhone is in danger of being thrown against the wall and smashed. I am completely fed up an sick of the stupid useless application. Whoever agreed to it's release should be disgusted with themselves. I couldn't live with myself if I released something that can't even do the basics.

Angry, frustrated and totally fed up beyond anything I can put into words

:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad:

Why did you update your IOS? Just curious. I did not on mine knowing full well that any early adoption of a new product is wrought with issues. Was there a specific feature you needed in ios6?

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
Heh, if Google really wanted to give a boost to Android, all they have to do is wait to submit the app for a few months.

Even better, do what Page is doing now, don't admit whether you have or haven't submitted the app and imply it's up to Apple to approve it. That way you can make it look like Apple is the one delaying it (totally not saying this is what is happening, just saying Apple left themselves wide open for Google to do something like this).

I've a feeling that after the Apple Maps fiasco, people will wise up and move over to either Windows 8 or Android. However, by next year, it's going to be VERY difficult for Apple to stay on top once Blackberry 10 comes out. I've seen the video of a press conference recently showing how the new OS work and it looks really intriquing.

I think Nokia (Windows 8/Mobile) and BB10 will be the turning point. People might say "I'm sick of Apple and Android/Google fighting over this crap like schoolgirls. EFF 'em", and go to Microsoft/RIM's new phones.

There will be another paradigm shift and I can feel it. If there is a chink in Apple's armor, THIS was it. The Maps fiasco just made Apple look like a bunch of jacka$$es. Now I respect the hardware engineering they pulled off, but they should've focused on what's under the hood rather than focusing too much on 'eye candy'.

So, I would'nt be so quick to underestimate Microsoft's new mobile OS and Blackberry's upcoming BB10 OS. If Apple does'nt turn this around by Spring of 2013, they have a massive problem and all the "visigoths" will have surrounded and sacked "Rome" that is Apple.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
I have had every iPhone except the 4S and I've seen every year the improvements to Google Maps.... when it first started it was horrible, much worse than apple maps now and the satellite imagery was horrendous...the refinement that we see with google maps at present did not come over night and much of those improvements occured between iPhone 4 and 4S.... apple maps will improve significantly... be patient and watch how quickly the tables turn...in 6 months Apple maps will be up to par

----------

I've a feeling that after the Apple Maps fiasco, people will wise up and move over to either Windows 8 or Android. However, by next year, it's going to be VERY difficult for Apple to stay on top once Blackberry 10 comes out. I've seen the video of a press conference recently showing how the new OS work and it looks really intriquing.

I think Nokia (Windows 8/Mobile) and BB10 will be the turning point. People might say "I'm sick of Apple and Android/Google fighting over this crap like schoolgirls. EFF 'em", and go to Microsoft/RIM's new phones.

There will be another paradigm shift and I can feel it. If there is a chink in Apple's armor, THIS was it. The Maps fiasco just made Apple look like a bunch of jacka$$es. Now I respect the hardware engineering they pulled off, but they should've focused on what's under the hood rather than focusing too much on 'eye candy'.

So, I would'nt be so quick to underestimate Microsoft's new mobile OS and Blackberry's upcoming BB10 OS. If Apple does'nt turn this around by Spring of 2013, they have a massive problem and all the "visigoths" will have surrounded and sacked "Rome" that is Apple.

speak for yourself, nobody is gonna leave Apple over this map app...anybnody that's talking about switching to Android or Windows mobile was probably ALREADY on the fence before this "map gate" started...most people that are switching are doing it for lack of design change or because they want a bigger/wider screen

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I have had every iPhone except the 4S and I've seen every year the improvements to Google Maps.... when it first started it was horrible, much worse than apple maps now and the satellite imagery was horrendous...the refinement that we see with google maps at present did not come over night and much of those improvements occured between iPhone 4 and 4S.... apple maps will improve significantly... be patient and watch how quickly the tables turn...in 6 months Apple maps will be up to par

Will Apple scan in 6 months all the geo data that Google has been scanning in 10 years?

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah, people have such short memories. Once its refined enough its going to be quite good and offer features that Google does not currently offer.

But I think it will take time though.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Fair, informative and Daniel Eran Dilger are mutually exclusive.

And when he begins the article saying that Street View is Flash based or that only now Maps API is not free we can see how informed he is

Google is going to charge for high traffic usage, $4.00 per 1,000 visitors ( In some instances maybe more.) Now it might appear those charges might to apply to Apple if they continued to use the Google Map applications in iOS. Might be one reason they are developing their own.

So it appears he knows what hes talking about.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Yeah. I have had every iPhone since the beginning. You know why Google Maps on the iPhone wasn't great? Because iOS 1.0 wasn't that great. New/fun to play with having touch technology sure - but lacking in so many basic functionality.

People conveniently forget that when the iPhone first launched - it was "cool" but severely lacking to do anything really productive. Maps included.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I don't see them claiming it is the most accurate map solution so they are not lying.

So, it's the most powerful mapping service according to Apple, it's just not accurate ? What's powerful about an innacurate mapping system ? You're not making sense there. Are you saying Apple isn't "lying", they're just candy coating ? That's even worse.

Maps are all about accuracy. One would think "powerful maps" are at least accurate.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So, it's the most powerful mapping service according to Apple, it's just not accurate ? What's powerful about an innacurate mapping system ? You're not making sense there. Are you saying Apple isn't "lying", they're just candy coating ? That's even worse.

Maps are all about accuracy. One would think "powerful maps" are at least accurate.

Indeed.

"Designed by Apple from the ground up, Maps gives you turn-by-turn spoken directions, interactive 3D views, and the stunning Flyover feature.1 All of which may just make this app the most beautiful, powerful mapping service ever."

Granted, they do say "may" - don't they ;)

Further they say "Maps keeps street names where they belong" - Which is debatable.

Sources: http://www.apple.com/iphone/ios/ and http://www.apple.com/ios/maps/

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Can't find local business (Southern California)

I will say first that I am a big fan of the new Maps App. However, after all the complaints about not being able to find a business I decided to test that part more. Normally my testing has been that I know the address in advance and had no problem getting to the location. Very seldom having to do a search for a business because it was already in my contact list or I got it from another App (like the Zillow RE App).

Anyway, setting at my desk I tried to locate my in-laws small business and it could not find it. Did the same search with Google (maps.google.com) and Navigon and they both found it. However, Yelp could find it but the first name was missing a trailing S and it had an extra name in the middle (strange). Anyway, had to go to the grocery store and in my car decided to enter Vons and it could not find it. At this point it seemed very strange. So I hit the Navigation Arrow and the BLUE BALL was at my house. Then entered Vons and it found it right away. At the grocery store I decided to try my in-laws business and it found it right away along with the miss spelled Yelp listing.

I am not sure what was going wrong while in my house but maybe related to a problem with the GPS. For others having this problem I recommend you give this a try.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
The Verge reports that Apple had over a year left on contract with Google...
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/25/3...t-on-google-maps-contract-google-maps-ios-app

After updating - it seems fine enough for my own area in PA. The worse I've seen so far is a restaurant bar placed a few blocks down where it should be, and a medical center that apparently became a medical school. :confused:

But that doesn't mean it'll be ok the next place I travel (which is when I'll really need it vs. my neighborhood), and that should be a concern for everyone. JMO.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I live near Redondo Beach in California and I am constantly seeing businesses marked at the incorrect location in Apple Maps. And not just a block away or something, but 6 or 7 blocks away if not more. I try to report them when I can, but that gets tiresome after a while.
I live in Torrance. When I pull out of my community I enter Redondo Beach. I have been using Maps since the beta and have not found any problems with the Navigation part. My son actually lives in Redondo Beach and he is not having any problems as well (has not tested that much). However, I normally know the address in advance. While trying to test the business search I did find a problem earlier today which I posted on and it could not find a couple of businesses. I reset my current GPS location and it then had no problem after that finding the business. I would not think this would be your problem but since we are pretty much within the same city not sure why you would be having a lot of problems at least using the Navigation part.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I'm not updating to 6.0 until Google Maps is on the app store. It really is a deal breaker for me.

I'm glad people had/have this mentality. I was able to update to iOS6 day one in about 20 minutes due to the servers not being bogged down.

Now let's wait and see how many iPhone 5's are returned due to the new maps app.

;)

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Any one who calls KnightWrx a troll has no clue what they are talking about. KnightWrx is much close to an Apple fanboy than a Apple hater/troll. Honestly KnightWrx is what I would call a very well informed Apple fan who knows his ****.

Yep! KnightWRX is usually one of the very few sane (and informed) voices of reason in a sea of ranters, ravers, fanboys, wailers, and gnashers of teeth (which this and the scruff thread(s) seem to be full of).

Mustafabaquari

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Yeah, Me too saw the report

Yes saw the statement from CEO Eric schmidt. After reading this it looks like he is enjoying all this turmoil on iOS maps. They will soon have their lesson when apple improves them
http://goo.gl/vGPLc

----------

Some examples please.

For exapmle see the features section at this article. also many other places i have seen people where they mentioned instances when they were stuck up somewhere and iOS maps helped them.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I'm interested to know how apple maps is not usable to anyone. I deliver pizza for a living. and I use apple maps. No, i dont use turn by turn. All i need is the general area for my delivery and im off. And Apple maps seems to do that well enough.

"General Area" is the key term here.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Google is going to charge for high traffic usage, $4.00 per 1,000 visitors ( In some instances maybe more.) Now it might appear those charges might to apply to Apple if they continued to use the Google Map applications in iOS. Might be one reason they are developing their own.

So it appears he knows what hes talking about.

Google has charged for advanced API access like the one Apple had since the beginning. So it appears that he don't know what he's talking about, as usual

http://www.google.com/enterprise/earthmaps/maps-compare.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.