Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I could swear that the iPhone 5 charges much slower than my old iPhone 4. I use a USB wall adapter while i am at work and my iP4 would charge to 100% within a few hours while I listen to music etc. With iphone 5 it is taking like 5-10 minutes to charge 1% :/

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
A watched pot never boils....

But there is a decent explanation. Your old iPhone 4's battery has degraded over time, so 1% of its battery is probably less energy than 1% of the new iPhone 5's battery.

I have an old iBook G4 at work that charges from 0% to 100% in about 15 minutes. It's not really charging faster; its battery is just shot and only holds a tiny bit of charge. It lasts about that long on battery when you unplug the power!

----------

I could swear that the iPhone 5 charges much slower than my old iPhone 4. I use a USB wall adapter while i am at work and my iP4 would charge to 100% within a few hours while I listen to music etc. With iphone 5 it is taking like 5-10 minutes to charge 1% :/

Oh, something else I should mention... What kind of USB wall adapter?

If you're using one wasn't made to charge the iPhone, it could be delivering only half an amp or less, causing slow charging. The charger that comes with your phone delivers a full amp (twice the power).

Use that if you can.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
A watched pot never boils....

But there is a decent explanation. Your old iPhone 4's battery has degraded over time, so 1% of its battery is probably less energy than 1% of the new iPhone 5's battery.

I have an old iBook G4 at work that charges from 0% to 100% in about 15 minutes. It's not really charging faster; its battery is just shot and only holds a tiny bit of charge. It lasts about that long on battery when you unplug the power!

----------

Oh, something else I should mention... What kind of USB wall adapter?

If you're using one wasn't made to charge the iPhone, it could be delivering only half an amp or less, causing slow charging. The charger that comes with your phone delivers a full amp (twice the power).

Use that if you can.

Well my Ip5 just lost a percent so it seems that listening to streaming music is draining a bit more batter than is being charged. I wonder if the new iPhone charger is as powerful as the old one.

misterjay

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
My iPhone 5 literally charges from 0 to 100% in about 30 minutes.. that's normal? Lol

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
My 5 charges faster than my 4S. It's particularly evident when connected to my Mac. At work I always have my phone connected. The 4S would take maybe an hour to go from 40% to 100%. With the 5 it takes less than 30 minutes.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Hmmm strange I will try plugging it into the usb since it has remained at 43% for the past 40 minutes.

Allenz

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
I let my iPhone 5 die about an hour ago. It shut off by itself. I plugged it in and now, one hour later, it is at 60%. I am using the iPad charger tho. It always charges faster....

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
I think mine charges slower than the 4S did when using the computer USB. I've only used the wall charger once and that was over night so I don't know about that yet.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I've enjoyed very fast charging times. I can't compare to a 4 since I never owned one, but I am getting a full charge in 1-2 hours.

Compared to my GF's 4, I would say the 5 is faster just based on subjective observation.

asolana

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Compared to my iPhone 4, the 5 charges significantly slower. For the 4, it would usually charge at about 1% per minute whereas the new one takes about 3-4 mins for 1%. It's pretty frustrating when I'm in somewhat of a rush. The battery runs out probably twice as fast too. Maybe it's just my phone seeing as others say it takes an hour for a full charge

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
My iPhone 5 is one of the fastest charging devices I own. Much faster than my 4 but it also drains quicker.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I would say my 5 charges at the same speed connected to a computer as my 4S. Using the wall charger, it charges much faster than the 4S. I would say I'm getting slightly better battery life (maybe a few hours). I'll take it, though. :)

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I haven't used an iPhone for a while so it's hard to compare for me, but I will say that it charges about 2% per minute while I'm driving and using my Apple USB cable into a two port USB cigarette outlet plug thing. I never plug my phone in at home to save money :D I just know I went on a .7 mile drive with only one traffic light and my battery charged up 3 or 4%

seanpercival01

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
Compared to my iPhone four, the five charges considerably slower. For the 4, it might sometimes charge at concerning a hundred and twenty fifth per minute whereas the new one takes concerning 3-4 minutes for a hundred and twenty fifth. It's pretty frustrating once i am in somewhat of a rush. The battery runs out in all probability double as quick too. perhaps it's simply my phone seeing as others say it takes Associate in Nursing hour for a full charge.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I haven't used an iPhone for a while so it's hard to compare for me, but I will say that it charges about 2% per minute while I'm driving and using my Apple USB cable into a two port USB cigarette outlet plug thing. I never plug my phone in at home to save money :D I just know I went on a .7 mile drive with only one traffic light and my battery charged up 3 or 4%

Save money? You realize the electricity in your car isn't free right? It runs off the alternator which is belt driven by the engine which is powered by gasoline which is more expensive than electricity. The bigger the electric load on the alternator, the more parasitic drag there is. Either way, the power requirments are too small to notice, but you aren't doing yourself any favors in the money saving department.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.