Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickmccally

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
I've been having weird issues lately. My battery doesn't seem to work properly (losing 1% ever 2 minutes of use), wifi is a hit or miss, and my cellular signal is significantly worse than my 4S. It gets less bars in the same places.

Tonight I connect to wifi, and decided to run a long video on youtube. The ENTIRE TIME connected to wifi. I get a txt message saying I used 1gb of data in ONE day!!! (from verizon)

I checked my usage just 2 hours prior and was at 270mb. Now over 1gb. Something is terrible wrong, why would LTE be used if I was of wifi?!!?! I am getting charged for this! The only time I did anything data intensive was watching the youtube video WHILE connected to wifi.

Do I have a lemon? Does anyone notice odd reception, worse than usual battery life, wifi I believe is software, but now its using my data on my cell plan while connected to wifi (showing the wifi icon in the status bar). I reset the phone 2 times today. I did a full restore (not from backup) after noticing significantly worse battery than my iPhone 4S that was a year old. :mad:

----------

I am now at 1.7gb while my iphone is just sitting on the home screen...... :confused:

nickmccally

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
I didn't purchase this device to play with the settings every time I want to browse the Internet. I guess I must have a hardware issue this seems pretty extreme to count wifi data as data over the network.

nickmccally

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
I'm not sure if this relates but I called Verizon twice because mobile hotspot wasn't showing up. Had to reset network twice. Starting to think something really is just wrong with the hardware. I have had it in a case so haven't been handling it too much with my bare hands.

Icealicy

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
I don't use wifi much although today I did. I have had my iPhone since launch and it says I've used 8 GB of data. Something is honestly wrong because there is no way I have used 8 GB. Let alone even 3 GB wow.

Edit: my usage statistics on my phone is saying this. I have not checked what AT and T is saying but I will later.

nickmccally

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
I don't use wifi much although today I did. I have had my iPhone since launch and it says I've used 8 GB of data. Something is honestly wrong because there is no way I have used 8 GB. Let alone even 3 GB wow.

Edit: my usage statistics on my phone is saying this. I have not checked what AT and T is saying but I will later.

My iPhone is saying 1.7 Verizon is saying 1.1. In my account history I have never ever hit 1.1gb. I have hit this only 3 days into the billing cycle.

niteriderxp

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
Well I am on WiFi at home and at work.
The other day I noticed my data usage has spiked.

Also, I am noticing that when it comes out of standby it shows LTE instead of Wifi.

Sometimes it just stays on LTE at work even though there is WiFi.
I saw this at work, wondering if its because my work uses WPA2-ENT auth.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Being I don't have LTE to confirm lots of folks are saying the phone will connect to the fastest connection. With the speed of a lot of LTE connections it's very possible it's faster than your wifi so your phone is using LTE over the slower wifi. Not sure if there is a setting somewhere to defeat the behavior other than turning LTE off.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I've been having weird issues lately. My battery doesn't seem to work properly (losing 1% ever 2 minutes of use), wifi is a hit or miss, and my cellular signal is significantly worse than my 4S. It gets less bars in the same places.

Tonight I connect to wifi, and decided to run a long video on youtube. The ENTIRE TIME connected to wifi. I get a txt message saying I used 1gb of data in ONE day!!! (from verizon)

I checked my usage just 2 hours prior and was at 270mb. Now over 1gb. Something is terrible wrong, why would LTE be used if I was of wifi?!!?! I am getting charged for this! The only time I did anything data intensive was watching the youtube video WHILE connected to wifi.

Do I have a lemon? Does anyone notice odd reception, worse than usual battery life, wifi I believe is software, but now its using my data on my cell plan while connected to wifi (showing the wifi icon in the status bar). I reset the phone 2 times today. I did a full restore (not from backup) after noticing significantly worse battery than my iPhone 4S that was a year old. :mad:

----------

I am now at 1.7gb while my iphone is just sitting on the home screen...... :confused:

You, yourself say that you are having "odd reception" and if you are downloading something and your WiFi is not providing data, even though you have the WiFi icon on the screen, it sounds like it switched over to LTE:eek: to complete your download. Maybe a problem with your WiFi antenna or even you WiFi connection.

I would say this could be a warning to everyone who downloads large files.

Daftbrush

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
UK
This may explain the problem I have.

My phone doesn't seem to stay connected to the wifi when locked and being charged meaning I don't get iCloud backups overnight.

I've also use a considerable amount of data even though I'm connected to wifi, although if this is being disconnected in favour of LTE without my knowledge when charging and locked might be why. I'm going to switch off LTE until more details on this emerge.

negrohero9

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
D[M]V
Shoulda got a sprint iPhone 5 then you wouldnt have to worry about the amount of data you use...even if it was accidental

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

well, usage is everything...both wifi and LTE. Did you restore from a backup? That could be where the large number came from.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Shoulda got a sprint iPhone 5 then you wouldnt have to worry about the amount of data you use...even if it was accidental

Unless your in a few select LTE areas it's pointless as it's so darn slow. I've had Sprint, at their speeds unlimited is just pointless.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Being I don't have LTE to confirm lots of folks are saying the phone will connect to the fastest connection. With the speed of a lot of LTE connections it's very possible it's faster than your wifi so your phone is using LTE over the slower wifi. Not sure if there is a setting somewhere to defeat the behavior other than turning LTE off.

I was thinking the same for a moment however I thought once on wifi it bypasses cellular no matter the speeds. op as much of a pain as it is I would say since its so new just swap phones and start with a fresh one

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
not sure why OP is getting so defensive when someone suggested to try turning off LTE while on wifi just to see what happens. He wasn't saying do that all the time he just said to do it to test the theory.

negrohero9

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
D[M]V
Unless your in a few select LTE areas it's pointless as it's so darn slow. I've had Sprint, at their speeds unlimited is just pointless.

I do have my iPhone 5 on Sprint and I am getting LTE speeds...not slow at all. Guess it just depends on where you live. I'm getting 27 down, 21 up but idk it could just be the area I live in.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I do have my iPhone 5 on Sprint and I am getting LTE speeds...not slow at all. Guess it just depends on where you live. I'm getting 27 down, 21 up but idk it could just be the area I live in.

The very first sentence I wrote is, unless you live in one of the select LTE areas. If memory serves there's a whopping seven or so cities.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Perhaps, you should turn off LTE and cellular data while on Wifi and you won't have to worry about it connecting to 4G or LTE. If you don't want to, then deal with the overages. All it takes is a flip of the button.

rcpiercy

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I'm having the exact same issue as OP. The only thing I've intentionally gotten over LTE (aside from web browsing and maps) was a 10MB podcast, which magically showed up as 311.19MB. There are massive chunks of data on my pre-bill statement that are timestamped when I am at home or school connected to WiFi. I'm currently sitting at 1.517GB used since Friday. Even more strange is that the phone itself is showing 116MB up and 3.6GB down in the cellular usage statistics (and it was reset at 1.30PM on 9/21) so I guess I'm lucky?!?
I spoke with Verizon phone support and all she could say (even after I'd clearly explained this 5 times) is that when the phone is connected to WiFi, it downloads over WiFi. To which I kindly responded (5 times) that I know how the phone is supposed to work, and in a perfect world where I don't have to call tech support numbers, that is how it should work, but that is not what is happening-- hence I am calling technical support. Then I asked if when people call and say their phone won't turn on, do you say, "phones turn on"? I'm pretty sure her head exploded. Apple wasn't much better over the phone.
I turned LTE data off which has put a stop on all data charges and I made a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow. I suspect part of the problem is that when the phone goes to sleep, it disconnects from WiFi, but this doesn't explain these massive data charges (haven't streamed any video to the phone, listened to a couple of podcasts at home with the screen turned off).
I've printed out this thread, my usage statistics and a couple of threads over at the Verizon website (to ensure they either won't think I'm crazy, or will think that I am more crazy, not sure yet) -- I will share how the Genius Bar appointment goes here, tomorrow. Very frustrated.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
As someone who has worked in tech support, I have to say that there is almost nothing a user could say to me that would convince me their phone is using LTE when connected to wifi. It would get filed under "user error".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.