Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I barely believe you to be honest. "Crewe" is labelled as "Wrexham Crewe"; is this just me or is it the same for everyone? Bizarre mistake if so.

I never said anything about Crewe, read my comment again. I was talking about Manchester. And before you assume am lying, check Manchester on Apple maps and then check it again on google maps.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Maybe the app works in your little corner of the world, but it obviously doesn't for millions of people.

Did you miss the part were I mentioned "non techie people"?

Yes, I think I did.

Apple Maps are completely unusable were I live.

I tried Apple Maps with a friend's iPhone 4S updated to iOS 6 (they're probably switching to Android since they can't restore their iPhone back to iOS 5) and on an actual iPhone 5 in store. Apple Maps feels faster than the iOS 5 Maps but the map itself is completely unusable.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Yes, I think I did.
My bad. I mentioned it earlier in the thread or in another thread.

Anyway, while I don't think I'll have any problem jailbreaking an iPhone but I doubt that most people I know (who aren't tech people at all) have even heard about the term before.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
You don't need to jailbreak the phone to downgrade to iOS5.

It's as simple as:

Downloading the 5.1.1 IPSW for your device
Plugging the phone into iTunes
Shift-Click (or Option-Click) the Restore button
Select your 5.1.1 IPSW
Make a coffee

As much as I think the maps need improvement, I don't use Maps often enough to warrant downgrading. I normally navigate to places using postcodes or street names rather than POI databases, and in this respect the turn by turn Apple Maps haven't failed me.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
It's this kind of apathy about Google's reach and what Google could ultimately do with all that data that's truly terrifying.

It's amazing how completely consumers have been snowed by Google in the public perception of their intentions.
Their intention is to make money off smart advertisement by using their access to user data that they gather from people using their services. There is no snowing in here. What intentions do you think they have that the public perception has wrong? I'm not going to worry about what they could ultimately do when I have been using their services for years and been treated right. I'll wait for them to do something wrong before I start crying that the sky is falling down. Just saying, if I worry about Microsoft, Apple, Google or other's intention, I might as well not use a computer or go online ever.

Last edited:

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
You don't need to jailbreak the phone to downgrade to iOS5.

It's as simple as:

Downloading the 5.1.1 IPSW for your device
Plugging the phone into iTunes
Shift-Click (or Option-Click) the Restore button
Select your 5.1.1 IPSW
Make a coffee

As much as I think the maps need improvement, I don't use Maps often enough to warrant downgrading. I normally navigate to places using postcodes or street names rather than POI databases, and in this respect the turn by turn Apple Maps haven't failed me.
Thanks. I have been using iOS devices for years now and I had no idea that you could download an iOS firmware from Apple servers without said device.

I found the links thanks to Google (couldn't find anything on Apple.com) but I seriously doubt that most people I know would be able to get through the necessary steps on their own.

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS5.1.1/041-4347.20120427.o2yov/iPhone2,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw

Edit: Isn't downgrading to iOS 5 also wiping all your iPhone's data?

Last edited:

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
Some examples please.

I've used Apple maps to navigate over 1000 miles so far and not had a single error

Google can't even find my folks' road, let alone their home: a road and address that has existed for well over 100 years. Click on the address in my contacts and Apple maps takes me right there.

Score 1 for Apple.

Personally, I think all of Google's offerings are poor at best and complete rubbish at worst.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Apple maps doesn't show the Statue of Liberty.

p.s. for those that think anyone who criticizes Apple over this or other things is a "hater" doesn't understand that there are people that hold Apple accountable when there are failings or things that need improvement. It's actually the OPPOSITE of being a "hater." It's wanting Apple to be the best they can and should be. If someone just takes what is handed to them and accepts it without realizing they can help change things for the better - how is that really being supportive? Since when is lowering the bar a means to achieve greatness?

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Thanks. I have been using iOS devices for years now and I had no idea that you could download an iOS firmware from Apple servers without said device.

I found the links thanks to Google (couldn't find anything on Apple.com) but I seriously doubt that most people I know would be able to get through the necessary steps on their own.

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS5.1.1/041-4347.20120427.o2yov/iPhone2,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw

Edit: Isn't downgrading to iOS 5 also wiping all your iPhone's data?

You should be able to restore your backup :)

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
First, the iOS 5 App wasn't written by Google, it was an Apple-written client for Google's servers. It certainly wasn't google's android Maps app with turn-by-turn disabled. Why Apple couldn't add that, or switch to Google's vector maps, is something that Tim Cook and Eric Schmidt and Tim Cook know and we don't, but its difficult to comprehend why a sackload of money and maybe dropping a few lawsuits couldn't solve the problem.

Second, if you like turn-by-turn so much that you'd sacrifice, accurate, detailed maps, decent satellite imagery, street view, public transport routing, localised road colour-coding, then good for you. Personally, I can't see the use of turn-by-turn if it isn't based on solid mapping data.

I think some of the people who seem to like Apple Maps (i.e. those people who didn't start up Maps, go to their home location and find it underwater or, on satellite view, obscured by clouds) are going to have a nasty shock when they actually go on a trip to somewhere they don't already know.

Open your eyes and look at the examples that are being posted: it's not like AntennaGate or FrayedCableGate where you had to take people's word for it that they didn't live in a cave or abuse their cables: the cloud-shrouded areas, the city blocks with missing detail, the useless recommendations for public transport apps, the absensce of street view... they're all in plain sight.

If Google maps is that important to you then use maps.google.com from your mobile web browser. Problem solved until the Apple maps situation improves, which it will, and I suspect given the amount of press on this pretty quickly.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Apple maps doesn't show the Statue of Liberty.

p.s. for those that think anyone who criticizes Apple over this or other things is a "hater" doesn't understand that there are people that hold Apple accountable when there are failings or things that need improvement. It's actually the OPPOSITE of being a "hater." It's wanting Apple to be the best they can and should be. If someone just takes what is handed to them and accepts it without realizing they can help change things for the better - how is that really being supportive? Since when is lowering the bar a means to achieve greatness?
Please explain "it does not show the status of liberty". I can see it. Are you maybe talking about a frontal view or arial view?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
If Google maps is that important to you then use maps.google.com from your mobile web browser. Problem solved until the Apple maps situation improves, which it will, and I suspect given the amount of press on this pretty quickly.

Well, duh, I worked that out for myself. However,

No Street View (there is a 'live street view' app but that spreads the functionality over yet another app)
Chunk of screen wasted with Safari URL and Tab bar (even with the app 'installed', at least on iPad).
No integration with contacts, calendar, Siri etc.
Apple's "maps" is more than just the app, its the mapping api for the whole OS, so all third-party apps will use it now.

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
I would say competition is good and let people decide as long as there are no infringing patents involved. If people need google maps now and urgently, they should get an Android phone. You really can't have your cake and eat it too. Apple is in no way obligated to give you Google Maps as a built in. It's a service they replaced with their own. They now have a mostly functional map that needs alot of work and refinement.

----------

Why did you update your IOS? Just curious. I did not on mine knowing full well that any early adoption of a new product is wrought with issues. Was there a specific feature you needed in ios6?

I (foolishly?) thought I would try it for a few days and, if I didn't like it simply(!) go back to 5.1.1 I've done this before easily but it seems to be more complicated and risky this time. I'm just going to switch to Android for a year or so and go back to iPhone if they get this mess sorted.

oBMTo

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2010
Apple doesn't care about the consumer, they only care about getting back at Google.

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
speak for yourself, nobody is gonna leave Apple over this map app
My next phone will be a Samsung, not an iPhone 5
A lead writer for TUAW and self-confessed Apple lover has cancelled his iPhone 5 preorder and switched to Samsung precisely because of the map app. It is simply unusable in the UK - barely any information and the little it has is mostly incorrect.

----------

Please explain "it does not show the status of liberty". I can see it. Are you maybe talking about a frontal view or arial view?

I don't get it either. This pic has been widely circulated as demonstrating the 'missing' Statue of Liberty but I can see it just fine - it's just an overhead shot so is showing the top of the statue.

ios6-maps-04.jpg

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Submit that app bitch I'm so lost in Bangkok! Damn Apple map is only in Thai. Can't even search for places in Thailand ---- FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL

engg2000

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Comment, NO
It's ok to admit that it's a problem. It's also more than ok to admit that YOUR use case has been unaffected but that it's unfortunate that OTHERS are having problems and/or issues with Apple maps. It won't make you a bad guy. Apple won't come over and steal your stuff. And more importantly - it might make you appear as if you understand that your use case does not equate to the entire worlds.

And others are not. Not everyone is having problems but those having problems will use their voice more than those not having problems.

If you have an issue, report it. It will get fixed. If you can't wait, hopefully you were smart enough to back up before you installed ios6. Just go back to your previous version of ios...its not like they charged you for ios 6.

----------

Hey dumbo, you realize that native apps are not the same thing as web apps?
How can anyone with half a brain find that losing basic functionality is somehow a good thing?

Quick fact: right after the earthquake in Japan last year, I -and many others- were relieved to find that the Maps app was working even when you couldn't access the web version. I don't know about the inner workings of the app, just that native apps work better; and in a situation like that I'd rather have something that works.

Oh wow, navie apps aren't the same? WOW! What a revelation! You're incredible!

Dumbo? I thought 5 year old kids couldn't sign up for accounts. Maybe when you grow up you can become more tech savvy and FIGURE IT OUT. Just go back to your previous version if its too difficult for you to use for now.

Little a0me, once he played with Apple Maps App..."Waaaahhh my maps don't work."

stop whining and deal.

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
Don't bother crossing the border into Ontario ... maps may send you hundreds of miles out of your way ... sounds like it's great in the USA but really poor everywhere else including your neighbours here in Canada.

That sucks, I hope they fix it for you guys soon.

Stormybot

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2004
I live in Torrance. When I pull out of my community I enter Redondo Beach. I have been using Maps since the beta and have not found any problems with the Navigation part. My son actually lives in Redondo Beach and he is not having any problems as well (has not tested that much). However, I normally know the address in advance. While trying to test the business search I did find a problem earlier today which I posted on and it could not find a couple of businesses. I reset my current GPS location and it then had no problem after that finding the business. I would not think this would be your problem but since we are pretty much within the same city not sure why you would be having a lot of problems at least using the Navigation part.

Just saw this. Check out Eat at Joe's in Hermosa Beach within Maps. 8 blocks away from the real location. That is just one of a good number of errors that I have found in the area.

Also, about a month back, I was looking for a Chevron in La Jolla and instead of finding a Chevron at the dropped pin, I found a strip club. lol.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Just saw this. Check out Eat at Joe's in Hermosa Beach within Maps. 8 blocks away from the real location. That is just one of a good number of errors that I have found in the area.

Also, about a month back, I was looking for a Chevron in La Jolla and instead of finding a Chevron at the dropped pin, I found a strip club. lol.
I see that and you are right. The problem is that the address is wrong (maybe Yelp). It should be Redondo Beach and not Hermosa Beach.

LondonJim

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
London
Submit that app bitch I'm so lost in Bangkok! Damn Apple map is only in Thai. Can't even search for places in Thailand ---- FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL

Yes, when Maps first came out I'm sure some streets had their english equivalents; then it was upgraded to Thai only.

You'd best go the old fashioned way mate; get the girlfriend to drop the pin for you before venturing out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.